SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 13, 2012, 06:39 PM
México, MOR, Jiutepec
Joined Oct 2011
350 Posts
Question
best biginer heli for almost none expertice in helicopters?

well im a 100% plane guy i didn liked helis before but lately i been very interested in this area of the hobby i had flown chineese 4 ch coaxials and dominated but then i got in to fpv and i didnt had time to helis so wich heli would be good for me ive read in this web page http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/best-rc-helicopter.html that starting with coaxials and fixed pitch helis isnt good but i dont know lately i really like horizon hobby brands so in between 4 models from cheaper and simpler to more complex and expensive
1: the blade 120 (fixed pitch so i dont know if its a good option)
2: blade mcpx (too small?)
3: blade SR (collective pitch but motor draiven tail rotor)
4:blade 130x (flybarless colective pitch and torque shaft tail rotor its good but i dont know if is too small to learn to fly)
5: blade 450 3d (the web page says is a good trainer and i want also later buid a scale so i dont know if there are ready to use bodies for it if not im a good builder and i did a paper mi 8 so i can do it in depron to be stronger)
so i dont know will be better for me also other sugestions are acepted but my max budget is the price of the 450 3d (thats why i dond buy a trex) so please helpe to decide
ara25demayo is offline Find More Posts by ara25demayo
Last edited by ara25demayo; Aug 13, 2012 at 11:47 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2012, 07:35 PM
Don't take any wooden nickels
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2012
2,212 Posts
What transmitter do you own for your planes? Likely it may be able to be used for a heli. If so, that could help you get a better heli to start off with. As well, knowing this could help folks make better suggestions on what heli you should look into.
finguz is offline Find More Posts by finguz
Old Aug 13, 2012, 08:47 PM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
Blade 120SR, even if it is fixed pitch. You can't afford to fly any of the others. So may as well have some fun while you learn.
Ribble is offline Find More Posts by Ribble
Old Aug 13, 2012, 11:46 PM
México, MOR, Jiutepec
Joined Oct 2011
350 Posts
i have a dx6i
Old Aug 13, 2012, 11:48 PM
México, MOR, Jiutepec
Joined Oct 2011
350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by finguz View Post
What transmitter do you own for your planes? Likely it may be able to be used for a heli. If so, that could help you get a better heli to start off with. As well, knowing this could help folks make better suggestions on what heli you should look into.
i have a almost new dx6i i was thinking of getting also a futaba fm but that one is for FPV
Old Aug 14, 2012, 12:35 AM
Joined Mar 2012
2,212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ara25demayo View Post
i have a almost new dx6i i was thinking of getting also a futaba fm but that one is for FPV
DX6i is great for helis, your good with that. You're gonna go with a bindnfly model then? It'll be cheaper since you already have a tx. A 450 is a big jump from the others, but then again they're more stable cause they're bigger, and fly better in the wind. I found my 450 (EXI pro clone) easier to hover than anything else I've ever flown (mostly fixed pitch). Collective pitch helicopters seem easier to fly to me than fixed pitch, once you get how they work. It's just more about safety, and how much room you have to fly it in. And repairs cost maybe a little more.

Another option a lot of people suggest is build your own 450 from a kit such as exi, or many others. Most of the trex parts will fit on the exi. And you could upgrade it as you go. There are lots of good 450 builds on youtube. And you could build a nice heli with $300, that you'd spend on the bnf model blade 450. And the head would be metal, instead of plastic. Also if you build it you know how it goes together, and you could do your own repairs.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 12:48 AM
México, MOR, Jiutepec
Joined Oct 2011
350 Posts
Quote:
DX6i is great for helis, your good with that. You're gonna go with a bindnfly model then? It'll be cheaper since you already have a tx. A 450 is a big jump from the others, but then again they're more stable cause they're bigger, and fly better in the wind. I found my 450 (EXI pro clone) easier to hover than anything else I've ever flown (mostly fixed pitch). Collective pitch helicopters seem easier to fly to me than fixed pitch, once you get how they work. It's just more about safety, and how much room you have to fly it in. And repairs cost maybe a little more.

Another option a lot of people suggest is build your own 450 from a kit such as exi, or many others. Most of the trex parts will fit on the exi. And you could upgrade it as you go. There are lots of good 450 builds on youtube. And you could build a nice heli with $300, that you'd spend on the bnf model blade 450. And the head would be metal, instead of plastic. Also if you build it you know how it goes together, and you could do your own repairs.
yeah i tought getting a t rex clone but im in mexico and my hobby shop sell all the horizon stuff thats why i got a dx6i and since its my first real one my last coaxial i stoped flying it because a friend crashed and since it was chineese a never could get the pieces i needed so thats i like of the blade series they also have align stuff but that brand id awfully over priced here and ive bought airplane stuff from clone brands from hobby king and motors and electronic stuff is good but i had issues with ducted fans and props and spinning stuff so i dont know if i with a heli i got lots of rotor un balance and some things like that
and also the blade is ready to go ill get the bnf basic due i have 3s batteries and charger but i dont have to put anything together so i think my first step will be something with good after market support and ready to go at least now maybe later with more expertice ill get a kit as i did in planes
Old Aug 14, 2012, 01:03 AM
Joined Sep 2011
241 Posts
Hello

This may help you.
Ron
http://helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=407020
Imzzaudae is offline Find More Posts by Imzzaudae
Old Aug 14, 2012, 02:54 PM
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Jul 2010
3,496 Posts
mSR and then a mSR X if you can find one
after that its how much do you want to spend
Elios000 is offline Find More Posts by Elios000
Old Aug 15, 2012, 03:32 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ara25demayo View Post
yeah i tought getting a t rex clone but im in mexico and my hobby shop sell all the horizon stuff thats why i got a dx6i and since its my first real one my last coaxial i stoped flying it because a friend crashed and since it was chineese a never could get the pieces i needed so thats i like of the blade series they also have align stuff but that brand id awfully over priced here and ive bought airplane stuff from clone brands from hobby king and motors and electronic stuff is good but i had issues with ducted fans and props and spinning stuff so i dont know if i with a heli i got lots of rotor un balance and some things like that
and also the blade is ready to go ill get the bnf basic due i have 3s batteries and charger but i dont have to put anything together so i think my first step will be something with good after market support and ready to go at least now maybe later with more expertice ill get a kit as i did in planes
The msr is fixed pitched. No?

Mostly anything collective pitch you get you're going to have to set it up. Which youtube and this forum become priceless for learning how to do this. Hardly any helicopters that claim to be ready to fly out of the box, are not ready to fly, they require some setup for it to fly right at the least. Ultimately it's up to you which model you get, but remember in the learning process you're more than likely to crash it a handfull of times. I learned on small fixed pitch helis, which had really sensitive controls (twitchy) because they're small, when I went to a 450, I was amazed at how easy it was to hover. Not saying a 6 channel heli is easy by any means, hovering it just part of the flying experience, setup is more time consuming and flying it's a whole different ballgame. I kept on crashing my fixed pitched helis in flight because they didn't seem to have enough power to pull out of certain trouble.

Basically it comes down to spending $119 on a bnf msr (fixed pitch) or $299 on a bnf 450 blade. Buying the msr would leave you more money for spare parts, and $120 isn't as much. In which case you could buy something bigger down the road, possibly something of better quality, or perhaps build your own. Learning on a small heli isn't so bad, because when you tame the small heli and get good at it, bigger helis will seem that much easier to fly, stability wise.

You could also start flying helicopters on a simulator. Especially if you already own one from your planes... this would reduce crashes and help you to learn to fly faster.
Last edited by finguz; Aug 15, 2012 at 03:44 PM.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 04:49 PM
México, MOR, Jiutepec
Joined Oct 2011
350 Posts
Quote:
The msr is fixed pitched. No?

Mostly anything collective pitch you get you're going to have to set it up. Which youtube and this forum become priceless for learning how to do this. Hardly any helicopters that claim to be ready to fly out of the box, are not ready to fly, they require some setup for it to fly right at the least. Ultimately it's up to you which model you get, but remember in the learning process you're more than likely to crash it a handfull of times. I learned on small fixed pitch helis, which had really sensitive controls (twitchy) because they're small, when I went to a 450, I was amazed at how easy it was to hover. Not saying a 6 channel heli is easy by any means, hovering it just part of the flying experience, setup is more time consuming and flying it's a whole different ballgame. I kept on crashing my fixed pitched helis in flight because they didn't seem to have enough power to pull out of certain trouble.

Basically it comes down to spending $119 on a bnf msr (fixed pitch) or $299 on a bnf 450 blade. Buying the msr would leave you more money for spare parts, and $120 isn't as much. In which case you could buy something bigger down the road, possibly something of better quality, or perhaps build your own. Learning on a small heli isn't so bad, because when you tame the small heli and get good at it, bigger helis will seem that much easier to fly, stability wise.

You could also start flying helicopters on a simulator. Especially if you already own one from your planes... this would reduce crashes and help you to learn to fly faster.
Im between 2 actually the blade 130x and the 450 they are almost same price but i still dont know if bigger will be better as the 130 is of the size of the blade 120 sr and that one is resistant and ive seen in other threads that the 130 x flies almost as a bigger heli thats true?
Old Aug 15, 2012, 05:16 PM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
Look at it this way...

You opened with a list of five helicopters.

Let's say you can pick any one of those to learn on, then buy another one later.

Which would you select.
Ribble is offline Find More Posts by Ribble
Old Aug 15, 2012, 07:09 PM
México, MOR, Jiutepec
Joined Oct 2011
350 Posts
i ve seen that the 130 x is marketed for advanced pilots and the 450 3d is intermidiate so the 450 will be asier to fly?
Old Aug 15, 2012, 07:40 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,485 Posts
Generally speaking, if two helis have the same design, the larger model will always be easier to fly because it's a little slower and more stable. However, the 130X is flybarless and has a 3 axis gyro, while the 450 3D is a conventional flybar design. Lots of people prefer flybarless. They certainly have a lot fewer parts.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Aug 15, 2012, 08:53 PM
México, MOR, Jiutepec
Joined Oct 2011
350 Posts
maybe there is a balance because the 130 x is harder to fly but is small so it can be beaten up a lot more than the 450 but this one is easier to fly?