SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 13, 2012, 07:21 PM
Hairy E-Pilot
Ellensburg, Wa, USA
Joined Dec 2000
554 Posts
Discussion
Small Flying Boat for a Belly Landing Park Flyer

Iím looking for an everyday kind of plane that you can keep in the trunk and toss up almost anywhere. I often fly over rough fields with no runway and land with a belly flop in the tall grass, any type of traditional landing gear is not an option. But, I prefer plans with scale (or scaleish) looks, and that got me thinking about a flying boat. I think a twin with motors mounted on a high wing would also help to keep the props from snagging in the grass. Iím very short on time these days so an ARF would be best, besides I tend to get emotionally invested in things I build with my own hands, and thatís not what I want from this plane. My two favorite flying boats are the Grumman Goose and the Martin Mars but I donít think Iím gonna find either of those in a ARF parkflyer.

So anybody got a suggestion for an ARF flying boat with a 45Ēish span and scale looks? Iíd prefer balsa but foam will do.

Thanks,
All__talk is offline Find More Posts by All__talk
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 14, 2012, 02:56 PM
Slip the surly bonds...
Christchurch,England
Joined Aug 2004
2,714 Posts
Hi mate,

I've built a couple of 48" span depron flying boats which have worked really well off grass as well as water. Depron isn't very resilient, but these little models do last a reasonable time if you take care of them, and cover the landing surfaces with light glass-cloth.

The first one was the Bombardier CL-215 and 415. It was published as a plan in one of the UK magazines a couple of years ago, and I took the 215 to Chilliwack in 2009 in a carry-on box. I also built a Britten-Norman/Ross Islander seaplane which I took over this year, again in a carry-on box.

They are easy to build and great to fly off a 2-cell 1300 LiPo, with a couple of 20g CD rom motors. I can send you all the details if you like, and there is a build thread for the Scooper if you have a look on my avatar. I have the Scooper plan and if you want a copy, PM me..

Mike
Sopwith Mike is online now Find More Posts by Sopwith Mike
Old Aug 18, 2012, 09:27 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,628 Posts
I have flown both my Great Planes PBY and my Dynam PBY off the grass and they both worked pretty well. They are a little bigger than you want, though.

The Great Plane Grumman Widgeon is a little heavy and fast for park use, and it does not do as well off the rass as the PBYs do.

Another fun option would be the venerable Multiplex Twinstar with the seaplane conversion kit from Sparky at Parkflyerplastics.com You could give it a military paint job to give it a warbird feel.

If you want a civilian single engine, the Parkzone, Icon A5, the smaller Icon A5 model from Hobbyking and the Great Planes Seawinds EP all do well off the grass with their high mounted motors.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel