HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 21, 2012, 04:55 PM
Creator of the 1st 6S HT-Flip!
United States, TN, Clarksville
Joined Dec 2011
3,442 Posts
@littleG I'm in the US army and I've been in louisianna for the past 19 days doIng dumb training. I leave here on the 23. So the earliest I would be able to post pics would be the 25th. But I think I'll just make an in-depth video instead pics bc in the video I can explain and show things. I run different setup then what you have on your frame. Your FC might need to bee tuned better bc it could be adding to the vibes if it's still setup from your old tri. Also if the foam pads are to tight and not a lil loose them there doing no good bc there already compressed. Ad far as jello all my videos are shot in 1080p on medium FOV setting. So if mine had jello 1080p would deff show it. If you want you can pm me your number and I can try to help you over the phone. As far as a build log don't expect one anytime soon simply because I have alot to finish when I get home. I have 5 projects I need to finish once I get home and they probably won't get all done in a month just bc I'm so busy. But I will make a video of an in-depth explanation of my tri and setup.
flohio117 is online now Find More Posts by flohio117
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2012, 05:21 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,442 Posts
Whoa littleG I just looked at your pics and it looks like your running cheap gemfan props! I can guarantee you those props are adding tons of jello. I used to use those props and no matter how good they were balanced they would be so flimsy that they would not track straigh at all once they had to start to lift anything. Also I've had 3 gemfan props just break on me midair. Get those cheap props off bc they will kill your video and kill your frame when they break midair. Look at these videos of mine. Both will show gemfan props breaking midair. Use atleast apc props they work way better. And there way stiffer.
Tricopter FPV 700 Ft. High Crash!!! (5 min 7 sec)

This video was just a test video of my old 1.3 frame. So the gopro I'd just barely strapped on on the front bc there wasn't any room lol.
new Tricopter Version 1.3 FPVDM Dream Machine prop breaks midair (3 min 3 sec)

In some of my old Tricopter videos of the fpvmanuals frame you can see how bad jello was even with balanced gemfan props. Also since there so flimsy in the video you could see my green prop tracking with about a 1 inch split between both blades. That is not good lol. My friend just got his frame up and flying and he tried to use cheap props also and his frame wouldn't even fly. So I told him get apc props and he changed his props and put 2 washers on and bam it flew right away. Now he just needs to tune his pid settings.

Here's his videos showing the vibes of the cheap props.
rctimer motor vibs (3 min 25 sec)

Here's his video showing how much better apc props are.
Rc timer motor vibrations solved. (4 min 16 sec)
Old Oct 21, 2012, 07:47 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2007
1,532 Posts
flohio, thanks for posting the above videos ...

BTW, I commend and thank you for serving our country. I did 10 years myself at Fort Bragg, 6-years active and 4-years reserves.

I did some testing with the GoPro2 video resolution settings, changed the settings from 1080-30fps to 720-60fps. At 720, jello effect is gone.

I ran out of daylight and I did not get the chance to test 960. I'll test it tomorrow.

I need to order some APC propellers.

Do you know who has the best price on APC propellers?
LittleG is offline Find More Posts by LittleG
Last edited by LittleG; Oct 22, 2012 at 09:12 AM.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:22 PM
Newnan, GA
Joined Oct 2002
2,087 Posts
Must be catching on, store is closed due to too many new order. Bummer.
Matt Chester is offline Find More Posts by Matt Chester
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:22 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,442 Posts
@littleG thank you for serving aswell I get my props from either Amainhobbies or gothelirc.com nobody really changes there price on them. There pretty much the same wherever you get them. Yes 720 will get rid of jello but wouldn't you rather have 1080p no jello? That way you don't have to use the fisheye setting. I bet if you get the apc props they will help alot. They did for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Chester View Post
Must be catching on, store is closed due to too many new order. Bummer.
Yes Luis has been very busy lately trying to fill all of the orders and doing his regular job aswell. I have a brand new 1.5 fpvdm fully built with all new everything. It has been test flown twice I have a guy who wants to buy it Shen I get home. if he falls through and you want a frame that is the exact copy as the one I fly in the videos I can sell if to you completely bnf if you have a spectrum radio. Or I can take the rx out. Let me know. I have 3 that's why I don't need this one lol. My original one that I fly is good enough so there's no reason to have 2.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 08:59 AM
Newnan, GA
Joined Oct 2002
2,087 Posts
I'm interested for sure, how much do they cost? I could tell that because the store was closed down.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 22, 2012, 02:23 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2007
1,532 Posts
APC Propellers 10x4.7 (recommended tricopter propellers)

I run my all of ticopter props in the same direction.

I did my due diligence of best price search for these propellers. I got them ordered from Tower Hobbies.

You can get six (6) for $12.42.

For those interested, here's the link.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 03:48 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,442 Posts
@littleG I found alot of info out for you.
1. I don't run all the same direction props bc the yaw is compensating alot for the extrem amount of torque the props produce in a certain direction. I highly advise doing one of the front arms to counter rotate this will help out and make your try fly way better.
2. I didn't even think about asking you but what kind of battery are you using 3 or 4s?
I run nx4008 620kv motors on 4s. It flies awesome on 10 inch props with 4s. I did a test flight with a 3s battery on the same motors and 10 inch props and it was super hard to fly bc the motors are such a low kv and on a 3s don't spin fast enough to make enough flyable lift on 10 inch props. I see that your using DT750 kv motors. Luis has used those before and says there ok motors but to make enough flyable lift you need to run 4s on 10 inch props aswell. So if your running 3s switch to 4s. Make sure you remove the red wire from all of your esc's servo connectors except for one which will power the FC, rx, and servo.

@matt I sent you a pm.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 04:20 PM
Newnan, GA
Joined Oct 2002
2,087 Posts
PM'd you back.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 24, 2012, 08:43 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,442 Posts
LittleG how's everything going?
Old Oct 24, 2012, 09:51 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2007
1,532 Posts
Thanks for the tips.

However, my tricopter flies well with 3s and all propellers spinning the same direction, which is based on David Windestal's (rcexplorer guy) tricopter recipe. I know the yaw servo is angled more during flight because of the torque. This may bother some folks, but it does not bother me. The servo is doing what it is supposed to do...

Also, I like the practicality and simplicity of having one type of propellers as opposed to having two types (counter clockwise and clockwise). It is easier to keep up with, which was David's logic (made perfect sense to me). His logic was he doesn't want to think too much and worry about running out of propellers of a certain type. If a propeller breaks, just reach into the tool box, grab a propeller and slap it on the motor.

I finally got rid of the jello effect after going to several forums on GoPro and eliminating rolling shutter aka jello effect.

I basically relocated the battery to the bottom of the GoPro camera to absorb the high frequency vibrations. I can't exactly remember where I read it, but it worked.

Last edited by LittleG; Oct 25, 2012 at 11:51 AM.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:23 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,442 Posts
Wow I don't use the case on my gopro. I just use a later lense but do whatever seems to work for you lol. I'm guessing your using some other kind of foam for the front shock mounts since the battery is now pulling down on the bottom plate?
Old Oct 25, 2012, 04:32 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2007
1,532 Posts
I use the case to protect the GoPro camera from unexpected crashes, which I know it will happen. The case also allows for repositioning of camera angle.

I replaced the foam pads with silicone tubing. I only did this to the front struts.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 04:42 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2007
1,532 Posts
Yay! We finally made it to the 2nd page of this thread. I hope we can keep the momentum going.

Here's a short video of the FPVDM in action, flying line of sight.

Episode 7: EMS Chase (2 min 25 sec)
Old Oct 25, 2012, 08:51 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,442 Posts
LittleG there is tons of jello man :/ mine is very nice video. And I shoot in 1080p @ 30fps. I think you should really try out a different prop maybe even motors I'm not sure. I can only vouch for my setup. I let my friend fly my tri today so he could compare it to his tri and he couldn't believe how stable mine was compared to his. He's using rc timer motors and a kk2 board and once his motors get to a certain rpm the vibe is crazy. I use nx4008 motors there very good. I've never used the dt750s but if I was you I'd hold your frame in one hand and spin each prop by hand and see if you can feel the vibes from that. Your video shouldn't be like that.