HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 12, 2012, 02:42 PM
DroneWorksUSA.net
United States, TN, Clarksville
Joined Dec 2011
3,675 Posts
@littleG I'm glad your liking it si far just know slot of hard work went into that frame from me and Luis. I'm glad that I got to develope such a great frame. It truly is I feel the best out there.

In other news Luis temporarily closed his site for a little while because he was having so much orders and couldn't fill them and do his normal job fast enough lol. He will be opening it back up once he gets caught up. So don't worry you will still be able to get a frame you just might have to wait a couple of weeks.
flohio117 is offline Find More Posts by flohio117
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2012, 04:03 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2007
1,533 Posts
Just checked his website... I'm so glad I ordered mine when I did... Thank, god.
LittleG is offline Find More Posts by LittleG
Old Oct 12, 2012, 04:57 PM
DroneWorksUSA.net
Joined Dec 2011
3,675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleG View Post
Just checked his website... I'm so glad I ordered mine when I did... Thank, god.
Lmao see arn you glad I talked you into it when I did lmao
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:56 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2007
1,533 Posts
flohio,

From your experience flying the FPVDM, what is the ideal length for the booms? I know you said the booms on your FPVDM are 14" long. Do you find this length to be the optimum? The kit comes with 11.5" booms. How does it fly with the 11.5" booms?

I want to find out before I start installing the electronics as I want to make this a clean build. For example, the wires being cut to the right length and such.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:15 PM
DroneWorksUSA.net
Joined Dec 2011
3,675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleG View Post
flohio,

From your experience flying the FPVDM, what is the ideal length for the booms? I know you said the booms on your FPVDM are 14" long. Do you find this length to be the optimum? The kit comes with 11.5" booms. How does it fly with the 11.5" booms?

I want to find out before I start installing the electronics as I want to make this a clean build. For example, the wires being cut to the right length and such.
I'm not sure if it's the absolute optimum lol. I just tried different length booms to make sure if anyone wanted to run bigger booms it would still be stiff enough frame and wouldn't flex. 14 inch booms on the 1.4 frame would make it flex so we made the brace to hold the arms on the 1.5 and that stiffens it up perfectly. As far as booms go the longer they are the slower it will turn bc it takes longer for the multi to get at the angle desired. The 11 inch arms make it a really quick turner you can always use dual rates to fix this. The 11 inch arms also make the frame seem stiffer bc the arms arnt so long. But there's drawbacks. Since the arms are shorter is less stable if a big gust of wind hits it bc it's easier to flip over and since the arms are so short there's less room for the vibes from the motors to dissipate. I like longer arms because they make the tri more stable and better for my style of fpv flying. I'd say cut your wires a lil long and that way if you don't like the short arms you could always just take them off and put bigger ones on. It's all personal preference. I've flown both short and long and I like the characteristics of the 14 inch arms. Like I said that's just me. With shorter arms you can fly in tighter areas though.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 02:36 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2007
1,533 Posts
FPVDM is no JOKE! It is one awesome tricopter airframe.

Here are a few photos of my FPVDM build.

I decided with 17"-long booms as this lenght was awesome on the fpvmanual tricopter airframe.

Components list:
FPVDM tricopter
APM 2.5 Flight Controller (FC)
DT750 motors
Turnigy Plush 25 Amp ESCs
Dragon Link receiver
GWS 1047 propellers (counterclockwise)
Hitec 85 metal gear servo
Last edited by LittleG; Jan 04, 2013 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Updated FC from KK2 to APM 2.5, updated RC link from Orange 6-channe rx to Dragon Link rx
Old Oct 16, 2012, 03:45 PM
DroneWorksUSA.net
Joined Dec 2011
3,675 Posts
@littleG looks great man 17in arms are huge lol I'm curious on how well theyll perform. If I could make some sedjustiobd though. You should slide the landing gear legs into atleast the middle of the booms or even a lil closer than that to the frame because with them all the way at the motors if you land hardthere will be allot more flex at the part where the booms go into the main frame and will probably break your booms. If there closer to the framethey will be supporting more of the weight on the frame without putting slot of stress on the booms. Also you should turn the tail landing gear around so that it's swept back bc if your landing and moving fwd a lil you won't have that back landing leg digging into the ground, it will simply just slide on the ground. But besides that everything looks great.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 04:50 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2007
1,533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flohio117 View Post
@littleG looks great man 17in arms are huge lol I'm curious on how well theyll perform. If I could make some sedjustiobd though. You should slide the landing gear legs into atleast the middle of the booms or even a lil closer than that to the frame because with them all the way at the motors if you land hardthere will be allot more flex at the part where the booms go into the main frame and will probably break your booms. If there closer to the framethey will be supporting more of the weight on the frame without putting slot of stress on the booms. Also you should turn the tail landing gear around so that it's swept back bc if your landing and moving fwd a lil you won't have that back landing leg digging into the ground, it will simply just slide on the ground. But besides that everything looks great.
Thanks for the recommendation. I will make the suggested adjustments.

It is sweet!
Old Oct 16, 2012, 05:44 PM
Expat
Japan
Joined Apr 2010
3,126 Posts
That looks nice LG. Any idea how much the the frame parts minus wood weigh? Also, does it fit 12mm booms?
TheNiceGuy is offline Find More Posts by TheNiceGuy
Old Oct 16, 2012, 06:55 PM
DroneWorksUSA.net
Joined Dec 2011
3,675 Posts
It fits 3/8 and half inch booms the reason not 12 mm is bc the landing legs are precut with the 2 sizes I said above. As far as weight idk I have no scale buts it's light and super strong.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 01:53 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2007
1,533 Posts
Here's my FPVDM equipped with FPV and Aerial Camera System

Finally got her finished.

She is equipped with the following:
GoPro 2 for Aerial Video
Sony CCD Camera for FPV
5.8ghz 200mw video transmitter with cloverleaf antenna
SkyLark OSD Trace III

Old Oct 20, 2012, 02:38 AM
DroneWorksUSA.net
Joined Dec 2011
3,675 Posts
LoOks cool! Remember the battery goes on top so that the bottom plate doesn't have weight pulling down on the foam vibration pads. Also check all screws and nuts for tightness and I'm sure you used locktite. But just check everything before you fly that way you know it will be a great maiden. Also if you havnt put a lil foam under the gopro for extra dampening. Post bids of your flight
Old Oct 20, 2012, 05:04 AM
Unregistered User
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
511 Posts
Good looking design, but there's always room for improvement in every good design. So if I may offer some ideas:
  • If the battery were attached to the bottom plate and silicone dampeners are used (as those sold by getfpv.com), then the battery will help dampen camera vibrations even more.
  • If the camera base plate could be made a wider, then the FPV camera can be placed beside the GoPro so that it is dampened too, for example in such a Zephyr camera box:
  • Using a RCShim style camera mount using earplugs will help even more but requires a slightly bigger base plate.
  • The long vertical poles holding the bottom plate on have no diagonal support struts. If a crash occurs, the sideways force could easily break them at the joints.
cmanley_nl is online now Find More Posts by cmanley_nl
Old Oct 20, 2012, 06:18 AM
DroneWorksUSA.net
Joined Dec 2011
3,675 Posts
all are great ideas except the rubber bobbins don't make sense bc the vibes come from the arms not the bottom camera plate. The reason they work on the qav500 is bc the arms are on the bottom. Alsothe Fpv cam can sit up top there's ton of room or it can get undercount on the gopro mount. No need for a wider plate. Remember this is a Tricopter not a quad and the more weight you add you have to Denver there's only 3 motors not 4,6,or 8. But I appreciate your inputs but for now well leave the frame as is so we can work on other projects. It's already better than any other Fpv Tricopter by a long shot. Trust me buy one and see for yourself. You might have to wait a lil bit though bc Luis was so backed up on orders he had to temporarily close his store so he could cut more frames.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 09:32 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2007
1,533 Posts
Getting Jello Effect

Hey flohio,

Need your help and expertise.

I'm getting jello effect with the FPVDM, which I never had before with the fpvmanuals tricopter. This is flying the FPVDM with a foam pad under the GoPro and all of the propellers are balanced.

This is just a theory, perhaps the G10 motor mounts and steel screws that hold the motors to the boom transmit vibrations more than the delrin motor mounts and nylon screws of the fpvmanuals tricopter kit.

By any chance, can you post close up photos of your FPVDM rig? So, we have a visual reference and know what is an ideal set-up should look like. Also judging from your videos, you dont have the pesky jello effect.

What is that saying, "A picture is worth more than a thousand words."

The photos will help all of the folks, including myself, who got the FPVDM with their build.

I'm surprise you haven't done a build log on the FPVDM v1.5... I know airbagit did a build log, but he did it on the older version of the FPVDM...

I think the latest version of the FPVDM (v1.5) deserves its own build log. I bet the build log will bring more attention to this thread, and Luis will have a difficult time keeping up with the influx of FPVDM orders.
Last edited by LittleG; Oct 21, 2012 at 09:41 AM.