HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Oct 01, 2012, 12:54 PM
Registered User
LittleG's Avatar
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2007
1,532 Posts
FPVDM Yaw Mechanism

flohio,

Got these photos from fpvlab.com. I like the way it is designed, very compact.



LittleG is offline Find More Posts by LittleG
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2012, 02:11 PM
Creator of the 1st 6S HT-Flip!
flohio117's Avatar
United States, TN, Clarksville
Joined Dec 2011
3,450 Posts
That's the yaw very cool right!
flohio117 is online now Find More Posts by flohio117
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 07, 2012, 09:38 AM
Registered User
LittleG's Avatar
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2007
1,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flohio117 View Post
Hey guys I just put my dragon link on my FPVDM tri and I took it for its 1st long range test flight with it. I flew it 1.2 miles away and it went flawless it was only a test flight so I didn't go that far but my next one ill shoot for 2 miles
Where's the video of this?

How do you like dragon link, would you recommend it? Can you fly behind trees and objects (buildings and such) with it?

The only thing with the dragon link is that it's pricey.

I considered FrSky also because folks have flown 2.5km+ (1.5 miles) with it... This is with modification with the receiver's antennas.
LittleG is offline Find More Posts by LittleG
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:32 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Vantasstic's Avatar
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleG View Post
Where's the video of this?

How do you like dragon link, would you recommend it? Can you fly behind trees and objects (buildings and such) with it?

The only thing with the dragon link is that it's pricey.

I considered FrSky also because folks have flown 2.5km+ (1.5 miles) with it... This is with modification with the receiver's antennas.
I fly Dragon Link on both my fixed with and multi-rotor FPV craft...no issues with it. As far as 'can it fly behind buildings'...the UHF should transit object much better than higher freqs. I'd be more worried if your video freq can transmit through obstacles...if you can't see what you're doing then having control is kind of a mute point.
Vantasstic is online now Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:53 AM
Registered User
LittleG's Avatar
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2007
1,532 Posts
flohio,

Please photos of your FPVDM with the DragonLink setup.

Thanks!
LittleG is offline Find More Posts by LittleG
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:57 AM
Registered User
LittleG's Avatar
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2007
1,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
I fly Dragon Link on both my fixed with and multi-rotor FPV craft...no issues with it. As far as 'can it fly behind buildings'...the UHF should transit object much better than higher freqs. I'd be more worried if your video freq can transmit through obstacles...if you can't see what you're doing then having control is kind of a mute point.
Thanks, Vantasstic. Can you post photos of your multirotor with the dragonlink?

Debating whether I should get the DL (big money) or FrSky 2.5ghz (little money).
LittleG is offline Find More Posts by LittleG
Last edited by LittleG; Oct 10, 2012 at 05:58 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 07, 2012, 06:42 PM
Creator of the 1st 6S HT-Flip!
flohio117's Avatar
United States, TN, Clarksville
Joined Dec 2011
3,450 Posts
@ little g I'm currently out of town till the 23 oct. When I get back I'll edit the video and put it up honestly it's nothing crazy cool since it was just my test flight lol I flew 1.2 miles out and back and did a big 1/2 mile circle around me that's about it lol. Like I said just a test flight to see how well everything was working out that far and to see how battery life would be. I love dragon link because it gives you the freedom to not have to think about how far away you are. And it's also nice to know that you can outfly your video before your tx. If your flying low to the ground far away and you have video you know you have rx link. Even if your vid went out you could just put it into auto level mode and climb high untill you got video back. Dragon link really gives you the freedom to do what you want and not have to worry about losing signal. Frsky might be cheaper up front but you'll never get the range or the piece of mind that dragonlink gives you. You said you seen 1.5 miles with frsky honestly that's not far at all. And I doudt he was using a multirotor when he did that. Well with multirotors it's boring doing distance and high altitude flights. Atleast to me it is I like to fly in and around trees and obstacles as I'm sure you could tell from my vids. I'm not sure I'd you seen my brown out vid but I had a spektrum 2.4 rx in my tri and I was only 800ft away and just below the houses when it browned out. Dragonlink I could go miles away set down somewhere then take back off again and never loose tx link. All provided that my vid system could still provide video. take my advice fir what its worth spend the money upfront and buy the dragonlink it's something you will never regret it has been honestly one of the best Rc buys I've ever made bc of the peace of mind factor it brings. With frsky I guarantee you will still be watching your osd trying to make sure you don't outfly your rx link. And it will happen fast and unexpectedly. Most vid systems can outfly normal radio systems but not dragonlink. I hope this helps.
flohio117 is online now Find More Posts by flohio117
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 07, 2012, 08:10 PM
Registered User
LittleG's Avatar
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2007
1,532 Posts
The whole Ultra High Frequency (UHF) technology is all foreign to me. Just a few UHF questions.

What are the potential interference with dragon link or UHF in general?

Does one need a HAM license to fly FPV using UHF?

For example, if there's another person who is also flying FPVDM with a dragon link gear and I also have a dragon link equipment, do I need to check with that person to find out what radio frequency (RF) channel they are on before turning on my dragon link equipment to prevent a potential crash (the old-school way of rc flying)?

Or is dragon link like 2.4ghz technology (or fast hopping spread spectrum) in which you don't have to worry about RF?
LittleG is offline Find More Posts by LittleG
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 07, 2012, 08:21 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Vantasstic's Avatar
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleG View Post
The whole Ultra High Frequency (UHF) technology is all foreign to me. Just a few UHF questions.

What are the potential interference with dragon link or UHF in general?

Does one need a HAM license to fly FPV using UHF?

For example, if there's another person who is also flying FPVDM with a dragon link gear and I also have a dragon link equipment, do I need to check with that person to find out what radio frequency (RF) channel they are on before turning on my dragon link equipment to prevent a potential crash (the old-school way of rc flying)?

Or is dragon link like 2.4ghz technology (or fast hopping spread spectrum) in which you don't have to worry about RF?
Here's a short little video with my DragonLink controlled FPV quad. I mounted the UHF antenna vertical. The little aerial you see on top of the quad is an antenna guide tube (from the RC car world) that holds the upper part of the antenna vertical, the lower part of the antenna dangles below the quad in some fuel tubing to protect it from running against the ground.
'FPV'er vs 'LOS'er (1 min 48 sec)


Most FPV flying requires a Technician Ham license...just for the video transmitter freq and power. This license also covers the UHF stuff. It's easy to get...just download some on-line study guides (practice test questions), review, take free practice tests, then sign up for a FCC test in your local area. It cost me a whole ~$15 and a few weeks of 'study'. Easy...
Vantasstic is online now Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2012, 08:39 PM
Creator of the 1st 6S HT-Flip!
flohio117's Avatar
United States, TN, Clarksville
Joined Dec 2011
3,450 Posts
@littleG dude dragonlink is nothing to be afraid of lol all you do is plug it into the back of your radio put the dragonlink rx in your aircraft. Bind the dragon link similarly to other 2.4 systems. And bam your ready to fly wherever you want.
flohio117 is online now Find More Posts by flohio117
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 05:56 AM
Registered User
LittleG's Avatar
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2007
1,532 Posts
Flohio,


My FPVDM is finally on its way to me. Hopefully, I'll receive it to tomorrow.

I'm flying my fpvmanuals tricopter frame with kk2 and it flies well with it.

I've been reading a lot of good things about openpilot (OP) coptercontrol and how stable it is.

How does it compare to other flight control boards?X

What has been your experience with it?

Is it all it's cracked up to be?

It's been out of stock forever and a day.

Should I be lining up for the new version OP Control when it is finally released?
LittleG is offline Find More Posts by LittleG
Last edited by LittleG; Oct 13, 2012 at 11:58 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 01:05 PM
Creator of the 1st 6S HT-Flip!
flohio117's Avatar
United States, TN, Clarksville
Joined Dec 2011
3,450 Posts
@littleG well I love my CC boards I've had 3 but now I only have 2 because 1 is with my Tricopter in the bottom of a river in Alaska somewhere XD. But I really like the CC I think it's an amazing board for the price. I wish it had gps capabilities though. As far as how does it compare to other boards honestly I'm not sure. I've only flown CC boards on all of my tricopters. I've flown a gaui gu-ins on my quad and now a naza with gps. If naza could fly a Tricopter I would put it on over my CC but it can't. The only reason I would put a naza on is bc I like the gps modes. Besides that both fly awesome. I have a kk2 that I'm going to put on my sports Tricopter that I need to finish building when I get back home. As far as waiting in line I wouldn't openpilot is ridiculous and tge new CC3D was supposed to be out in April I think. All they have done since then is release a small amount to mainly beta testers. From what I've been told to the average flyer like me there is no difference. If your a tuner and you like to tune all day then there's a difference. If you ever get a chance grab up a used CC from someone on here it's a pain to learn how to setup but once you do it the 1st time it's quick after that. If I find that my kk2 flies just as good as my cc boards I probably will use more kk2 boards on my tris in the future. Another thing that I really like about the CC though is it's tiny size.
flohio117 is online now Find More Posts by flohio117
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 01:28 PM
Registered User
LittleG's Avatar
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2007
1,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flohio117 View Post
@littleG well I love my CC boards I've had 3 but now I only have 2 because 1 is with my Tricopter in the bottom of a river in Alaska somewhere XD. But I really like the CC I think it's an amazing board for the price. I wish it had gps capabilities though. As far as how does it compare to other boards honestly I'm not sure. I've only flown CC boards on all of my tricopters. I've flown a gaui gu-ins on my quad and now a naza with gps. If naza could fly a Tricopter I would put it on over my CC but it can't. The only reason I would put a naza on is bc I like the gps modes. Besides that both fly awesome. I have a kk2 that I'm going to put on my sports Tricopter that I need to finish building when I get back home. As far as waiting in line I wouldn't openpilot is ridiculous and tge new CC3D was supposed to be out in April I think. All they have done since then is release a small amount to mainly beta testers. From what I've been told to the average flyer like me there is no difference. If your a tuner and you like to tune all day then there's a difference. If you ever get a chance grab up a used CC from someone on here it's a pain to learn how to setup but once you do it the 1st time it's quick after that. If I find that my kk2 flies just as good as my cc boards I probably will use more kk2 boards on my tris in the future. Another thing that I really like about the CC though is it's tiny size.
Thanks for the tip on OP CopterControl. I'll stick with KK2 then as it flies well on my tricopter.

Sorry to hear about your tricopter ending up in the bottom of the river. I know exactly how it feels, I've lost a few myself.

On a different topic, I'm seriously considering a UHF system for the FPVDM...

I'm telling you this is worst than being addicted to drugs, been dropping some major cash lately...
LittleG is offline Find More Posts by LittleG
Last edited by LittleG; Oct 10, 2012 at 02:23 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 02:09 PM
Creator of the 1st 6S HT-Flip!
flohio117's Avatar
United States, TN, Clarksville
Joined Dec 2011
3,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleG View Post
Thanks for the tip on OP CopterControl. I'll stick with KK2 then as it flies well on my tricopter.

Sorry to hear about your tricopter ending up in the bottom of the river. I know exactly how it feels, I've lost a few myself.

On a different topic, I'm seriously considering a UHF system for the FPVDM...

I'll telling you this is worst than being addicted to drugs, been dropping some major cash lately...
Lmao know man I gotta sell some of my stuff it's just to much lol. I've been thinking about selling 2 out of the 3 of my tris andselling my 5.8ghz fpv gear. But I'm still not sure yet. You don't need a UHF setup for the fpvdm lol. I just now put one on it. I flew all the flights you have seen with a spektrum 2.4 setup but I never went farther than 1600ft away bc I don't trust it's range. Dragonlink is nice for the piece of mind it brings. You only have to buy it once and it's something you can use on all of your aircraft so it's actually an amazing deal. Buy it when you have the chance and you will never regret it. If you don't fly like how I do a 2.4 setup is fine but you will always have to keep an eye on your distance. And what you fly behind.
flohio117 is online now Find More Posts by flohio117
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:53 AM
Registered User
LittleG's Avatar
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2007
1,532 Posts
Got Mine Today!!!

Yay! Mine finally arrived...

For the short time I have had it and from the looks of the frame pieces, they look very solid. Especially, the yaw system.

I'm telling you all this thing is living up its name, FPV Dream Machine, so far.

I can't wait to build it...

I will definitely post photos of it on this thread as oppose to starting a new one.

I want this thread to get the same attention as the rcexplorer tricopter thread.
LittleG is offline Find More Posts by LittleG
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale 8 NIB JR Radio Systems (all new old stock!!!!) Available Seperately FNW Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 7 Sep 09, 2012 07:46 PM
For Sale iconic-X FPV frame available now :) whosYOURdaddy - QuadAddict Aircraft - Electric - Multirotor (FS/W) 0 Jul 20, 2012 09:23 AM
Discussion FPVDM - FPV Dream Machine (Tricopter) by MyRcBuild airbagit13 FPV Talk 14 May 18, 2012 12:56 AM
Build Log FPV/UAV/AP tricopter build log [Changed from "Got the stuff... I went all out"] slisgrinder FPV Talk 47 Jul 25, 2011 09:57 AM
Now Available: 1/8" GWS Drilled Pinions and Machined GWS Boxes for Astroflight BL WJ Birmingham Parkflyers 5 Jul 28, 2003 11:17 AM