HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:08 PM
Creator of the 1st 6S HT-Flip!
United States, TN, Clarksville
Joined Dec 2011
3,432 Posts
Dang man idk I might get the rc timer one or something the price seems steep and I think the rctimer one comes with a ublox GPS. I can solder the pins in so I think I'll just try that one. I'm kinda on a budget lately lol I got lots of multirotors that need to be flown I have a tricopter 2 quads and a y6 a zephyr 2 pop wings a huge like 70 inch epp yak and my zephyr.
flohio117 is online now Find More Posts by flohio117
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:01 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2007
1,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flohio117 View Post
Dang man idk I might get the rc timer one or something the price seems steep and I think the rctimer one comes with a ublox GPS. I can solder the pins in so I think I'll just try that one. I'm kinda on a budget lately lol I got lots of multirotors that need to be flown I have a tricopter 2 quads and a y6 a zephyr 2 pop wings a huge like 70 inch epp yak and my zephyr.
Check this link, looks like a pretty good deal for $151. It doesn't come with the power module though.

Wow, you have quite a fleet. Are all of them used for FPV?
LittleG is offline Find More Posts by LittleG
Old Dec 29, 2012, 09:34 AM
Joined Dec 2011
3,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleG View Post
Check this link, looks like a pretty good deal for $151. It doesn't come with the power module though.

Wow, you have quite a fleet. Are all of them used for FPV?
Thanks for that link. All of them except th 2 popwings and the yak. I currently don't have enough FPV gear for the y6 or second quad yet but I'm slowly trying to get there lol. I'm probably going to sell the yak and maybe my zephyr and build like a 6s demon like rockyflyr but I'm not sure yet. I'm going to buy a cpl of the hobbyking cheap osd's and give them a try. All I need on my stuff that uses naza and GPS is my voltage anyways.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 04:57 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2007
1,532 Posts
flohio,

Just came back from flying the FPVDM with the APM 2.5.

I was playing with the stabilize, loiter, altitude hold, and land.

Flying with these features is really sweet.

I know this sounds cheesy, but the APM 2.5 board makes the FPVDM a really dream to fly.

I think you'll be very pleased once you get yours up and flying.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 06:58 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,432 Posts
Quote:
flohio,

Just came back from flying the FPVDM with the APM 2.5.

I was playing with the stabilize, loiter, altitude hold, and land.

Flying with these features is really sweet.

I know this sounds cheesy, but the APM 2.5 board makes the FPVDM a really dream to fly.

I think you'll be very pleased once you get yours up and flying.
I just ordered a new OSD so mine will be back flying FPV very soon should be this week actually

Ill put a APM 2.5 in the new one with gimbal that I'm getting soon.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 08:40 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2007
1,532 Posts
FPVDM equipped with APM 2.5: Auto Mode Test

I played with the mission planner for the first time. I flew line of sight to test the auto mode feature.
I took off and I was so nervous to activate the Auto mode as I was not sure if it was going to work. I activated the Auto mode and the tricopter climbed and started to head to the 1st waypoint. It flew to 2nd then to 3rd. At this point, I was really getting nervous because I could barely see the tricopter. I couldn't even make out the orientation of it because it was so far out. The whole entire time I was so afraid that it would just fly away and not come back, but sure enough it did. It started to fly towards us to the 4th waypoint, which was near the Launch area. Once it arrived at the last waypoint, I activated the RTL to bring her back home...

I am just so amazed at what the APM can do. It's CRAZY!... A flying robot.

First Test of APM 2.5 Auto mode (5 min 5 sec)
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:17 PM
Fly allot, Crash allot, next?
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Feb 2006
7,228 Posts
What was amazing was you getting to this point in the hobby. Obviously, you know what you are doing. Congratulations, the video demo was very interesting.

If you don't mind, please post the details of your equipment.

Al
SCALEFAN is offline Find More Posts by SCALEFAN
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:45 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2007
1,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCALEFAN View Post
What was amazing was you getting to this point in the hobby.
I know, right?

Quote:
Obviously, you know what you are doing. Congratulations, the video demo was very interesting.
Not really. It took me a whole week to get the APM 2.5 to fly the FPVDM tricopter correctly. I don't know about anybody else, but for me, the APM 2.5 board has a high learning curve. It is definitely not a plug-and-fly flight controller. I'm just glad that I was off the entire week for the holidays to consistently work on it.

Quote:
If you don't mind, please post the details of your equipment.

Al
Go to this link for details of my FPV rig.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 06:22 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,432 Posts
That's so awesome littleG I'm going to fly my dream machine as soon as my OSD comes in. Man I've been waiting foreverrrrr!
Old Jan 04, 2013, 08:06 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2007
1,532 Posts
FPVDM Breakthrough! No More Jello Effect with GoPro Hero 2 set at 1080-30

I finally had a breakthrough battling the jello effect with the GoPro Hero 2 set at 1080-30.

The tail prop hub was not true eventhough the prop was balanced. This was causing the high frequency vibration.

The high frequency vibration is the main key ingredient to a really good and delicious Jello Effect.

I replaced the prop with a new balanced one and the jello went away.

No more jello effect with GoPro 2 set at 1080-30 on the FPVDM Tricopter (3 min 21 sec)
Old Jan 04, 2013, 11:45 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,432 Posts
@littleG glad your making progress but try a jello test on a sunny day. I find that sun increases jello like crazy. But on cloudy days I can get zero jello. But if you get a hero 3 black edition and use 1080p @ 60fps it decreases jello like crazy.
Old Jan 05, 2013, 10:17 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2007
1,532 Posts
Quote:
@littleG glad your making progress but try a jello test on a sunny day. I find that sun increases jello like crazy. But on cloudy days I can get zero jello. But if you get a hero 3 black edition and use 1080p @ 60fps it decreases jello like crazy.
Tsk, tsk...

You just know how to ruin someone's day...

I did a short sortie this sunny, cold morning (mid 40s); and sure enough, those pesky jello came back in the video.

I gotta give it to you, you're right about the jello coming back in the sunlight... Rats!
Old Jan 05, 2013, 10:42 AM
Joined Dec 2011
3,432 Posts
Quote:
Tsk, tsk...

You just know how to ruin someone's day...

I did a short sortie this sunny, cold morning (mid 40s); and sure enough, those pesky jello came back in the video.

I gotta give it to you, you're right about the jello coming back in the sunlight... Rats!
I'm sry lol I didn't want to ruin your day but I wanted you to know anyways a hero 3 black edition is way better than the hero 2 at getting rid of jello. Just get one and use your hero 2 for other things.
Old Jan 05, 2013, 10:57 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2007
1,532 Posts
Quote:
I'm sry lol I didn't want to ruin your day but I wanted you to know anyways a hero 3 black edition is way better than the hero 2 at getting rid of jello. Just get one and use your hero 2 for other things.
But the GoPro 3 is so expensive, $399.

I will have to settle for lower resolution when flying in sunny days.
Old Jan 05, 2013, 04:41 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,432 Posts
Quote:
But the GoPro 3 is so expensive, $399.

I will have to settle for lower resolution when flying in sunny days.
Expensive yes worth it hell yeah.