HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:07 AM
DroneWorksUSA.net
United States, TN, Clarksville
Joined Dec 2011
3,674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialfonzo View Post
Normaly i talk with him on daily basis..
But not lately...
yeah I usually talk to him about every other day or so until like 2 weeks ago he went into hibernation lol. But then he called me 2 days ago and told me what he's trying to do. It's cool he's a very busy guy and so am I lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbyboy View Post
Just got my DM. Wow these are already built. Very stout machine. It makes my FPV manuals Tricopter look like a balsa stick glider. Thanks
I told you you would like it. Also it's not fully built it should just loosely be assembled to make sure all the pieces were there. Take it apart and thread lock all the bolts.
flohio117 is offline Find More Posts by flohio117
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:13 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2007
1,533 Posts
Installation of the APM 2.5 board on the FPVDM - no so easy

The postman delivered my APM 2.5 board Christmas Eve. I was thinking to myself that it was rather appropriate that it arrived at a perfect time.

All I have to say is the APM 2.5 is not for the faint heart when it comes to installing it on the tricopter.

I started the installation the same day, and I'm still troubleshooting to get it to work the way it suppose to.

IMO, it is not as easy as the way flitetest portrayed it to be in their video review of the APM 2.5 board. It might be a plug and fly for the quadcopter, but definitely not for the tricopter.
LittleG is offline Find More Posts by LittleG
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:29 PM
DroneWorksUSA.net
Joined Dec 2011
3,674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleG View Post
The postman delivered my APM 2.5 board Christmas Eve. I was thinking to myself that it was rather appropriate that it arrived at a perfect time.

All I have to say is the APM 2.5 is not for the faint heart when it comes to installing it on the tricopter.

I started the installation the same day, and I'm still troubleshooting to get it to work the way it suppose to.

IMO, it is not as easy as the way flitetest portrayed it to be in their video review of the APM 2.5 board. It might be a plug and fly for the quadcopter, but definitely not for the tricopter.
I'm still going to try one out
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:41 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2007
1,533 Posts
Finally achieved stable flight with FPVDM and APM 2.5

I can enjoy living life again... Whew!

It is very stable with the stock settings. However, it did oscillate quite a bit during the maiden test flight. The oscillation went away after I changed the Angular Rate Control for a medium size motor in the Mission Planner program.

The loiter and simple modes work. It's awesome!

I haven't tried the other features though.

flohio,

I'm sure setting the APM 2.5 board will be easier for you than it was for me...

It seemed like I was running into a lot of hiccups during the installation and board configuration... This could be attributed to me not being familiar with the Mission Planner program and how everything is supposed to work together.

The FPVDM is flying again, so I'm happy. I should be able to sleep well tonight.

I'm just glad that I'm over the hump. I just have to do some tuning.
Last edited by LittleG; Dec 27, 2012 at 01:49 PM.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:11 PM
DroneWorksUSA.net
Joined Dec 2011
3,674 Posts
I'm not sure how much easier it will be for me but I looked at some setup pics of the gcs. It seemed similar to the COpterControl gcs. I'm glad yours is back flying again. I just bought a gopro hero 3 black edition!!! So I'll baking some more sweet videos soon
Old Dec 27, 2012, 03:13 PM
DeSoto MO
Joined May 2003
580 Posts
Quote:

Did you order the apm2.5 with power module combo? If you did order it, was the power module in your shipment?

I ordered the combo and was sent the apm but no module. When I called I got someone with broken English and I could not understand him. So I sent an email and have yet to get a response.
Nick_P is offline Find More Posts by Nick_P
Old Dec 27, 2012, 03:32 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2007
1,533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_P View Post
Did you order the apm2.5 with power module combo? If you did order it, was the power module in your shipment?

I ordered the combo and was sent the apm but no module. When I called I got someone with broken English and I could not understand him. So I sent an email and have yet to get a response.
I ordered the APM 2.5 combo with the power module.

Yes, the power module was included in the package.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 03:34 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2007
1,533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flohio117 View Post
I'm not sure how much easier it will be for me but I looked at some setup pics of the gcs. It seemed similar to the COpterControl gcs. I'm glad yours is back flying again. I just bought a gopro hero 3 black edition!!! So I'll baking some more sweet videos soon
If the Mission Planner is similar to the OP Copter Control GCS (I'm assuming this is the graphic user interface for it), then your installation should go smoothly.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 04:45 PM
DroneWorksUSA.net
Joined Dec 2011
3,674 Posts
@littleG I hope so
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:58 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2007
1,533 Posts
New Flight Controller for the FPVDM - APM 2.5

I made an unboxing video of the APM 2.5 for those who are interested. I should have posted this video sooner.

Unboxing of APM 2.5 (4 min 25 sec)
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:02 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2007
1,533 Posts
APM 2.5 on a Tricopter

Hey guys,

I know this video is not of an FPVDM tricopter in action and it is not a video I made.

I thought I post it here, so we'll have an idea how the APM 2.5 board (Arduflyer is an APM clone) performs on a tricopter frame.

It's awesome... The APM 2.5 board may not blow Naza away right now, but it will definitely surpass Naza capabilities in terms of what the APM board can do.

I'm just glad I held off in buying a Naza since it doesn't support the tricopter configuration. I always like the tricopter over the other multirotors.

TRICOPTER ARDUFLYER 2 5 (2 min 35 sec)

TRICOPTER WITH ARDUFLYER 2 5 (4 min 18 sec)
Last edited by LittleG; Dec 28, 2012 at 12:22 PM.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:26 PM
DroneWorksUSA.net
Joined Dec 2011
3,674 Posts
Hey little g did you order your apm2.5 from DIY drones? Or rc timer?
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:04 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2007
1,533 Posts
Quote:
Hey little g did you order your apm2.5 from DIY drones? Or rc timer?

I ordered it from diydrones store.

I got it from them because it is already assembled and encased.

The one from rctimer is a clone and you still have to solder the pins to the board.

You can also order the arduflyer locally from uavobjects.com and request the pins to be soldered to the board for no additional price.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:08 PM
DroneWorksUSA.net
Joined Dec 2011
3,674 Posts
Quote:
I ordered it from diydrones store.

I got it from them because it is already assembled and encased.

The one from rctimer is a clone and you still have to solder the pins to the board.

You can also order the arduflyer locally from uavobjects.com and request the pins to be soldered to the board for no additional price.
So how much is it. For everything you got? And is the GPS that you got stock or extra aswell? I'm trying to price it out. The rc timer one comes with a900mhz stuff aswell.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:59 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2007
1,533 Posts
Quote:
So how much is it. For everything you got? And is the GPS that you got stock or extra aswell? I'm trying to price it out. The rc timer one comes with a900mhz stuff aswell.

Mine came out to $235.14.

This price was including the Ublox GPS, power module, and shipping cost.

It is way cheaper than DJI Naza and you get way more for your money.

If you haven't done it yet, you should check out the diydronestore.com. They're having a year-end sale.
Last edited by LittleG; Dec 28, 2012 at 11:53 PM.