HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 20, 2012, 09:09 AM
DroneWorksUSA.net
United States, TN, Clarksville
Joined Dec 2011
3,674 Posts
Yeah I'll probably get it soon. But it sucks because I don't want to take off my cc because it flies my Tricopter so well lol.
flohio117 is offline Find More Posts by flohio117
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 20, 2012, 02:30 PM
Joined Nov 2010
753 Posts
so there is a few things..or a combination of a few things that keep it from doing this..

1.. is the narrow body..

2. is the I beam support that make the top plate rigid.

currently the only way to make it fold flush back 100% is to remove the,
inside screws on the body

To fix it .. or change it.. the body would have to be wider.. allow room to it to swing the arm back.

or as was done in the video post earlier.. not make the tabs in the front as long..
flush ( the glued in) .. I like the positive lock of a screw making it super strong..

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleG View Post
If I can make a recommendation to enhance the design of the FPVDM, is to have the arms fold flush along the side of the main frame. I think this was also mentioned in the review video (made by someone else) that I posted previously.

This way it could be easily packed in a container like in the picture shown below.

This portable tricopter and container were scratch built by Aleg. IMO, he is by far the best scratch builder I've seen here in rcgroups.

If you ever get the chance, check out some of his build logs.
flyhigh300 is offline Find More Posts by flyhigh300
Old Dec 20, 2012, 04:27 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2007
1,533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyhigh300 View Post

To fix it .. or change it.. the body would have to be wider.. allow room to it to swing the arm back.
Wider body means more payload room and it will make it more compact when the arms are folded flush. This way it will be easier to pack in a container. All are positive changes.

Sounds like a design for the next version (FPVDM v2.0), call it the "Ultimate FPVDM".
LittleG is offline Find More Posts by LittleG
Last edited by LittleG; Dec 20, 2012 at 04:40 PM.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 06:15 PM
DroneWorksUSA.net
Joined Dec 2011
3,674 Posts
@LittleG wider makes it easier for the frame to flex doesn't sound like a positive. Why do you need it to fold? Mine stays just how it is everywhere I go. Do you need a travel tricopter?
Old Dec 20, 2012, 06:53 PM
Joined Nov 2010
753 Posts
ok guys.. I do like that option also..

I dont travel to much .. but I feel your pain right now when I have to lug around my AP hex machines.. they take up a TON of room..

I dont expect Flex to be a problem..

I'll see about about 2.0

few people have asked about the camera tilt option so my plan was to work on that next.. ( bring it back from the dead )
flyhigh300 is offline Find More Posts by flyhigh300
Old Dec 20, 2012, 07:16 PM
DroneWorksUSA.net
Joined Dec 2011
3,674 Posts
Yay! Can't wait for a better gimbal!
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:23 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2007
1,533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flohio117 View Post
@LittleG wider makes it easier for the frame to flex doesn't sound like a positive. Why do you need it to fold? Mine stays just how it is everywhere I go. Do you need a travel tricopter?
Why do you need it to fold?
For portability, so when I go on vacations or business travels, I can take the FPDM with me. Even with the arms folded, the FPVDM is still quite wide. I don't want to haul around a big bulky box.

Don't you travel for the Army? Wouldn't it be nice to take the FPVDM on your TDY trips?

With the arms folded flush along the frame, the FPVDM will be easier to pack in a narrow box with a strap, carry it over the shoulder, and hand carry it in the plane.

To minimize flex, perhaps the FPVDM can be made with three G10 plates (making it a dual layer) like the Iconic-X, QAV500, TBS Discovery, HT-FPV, and Flip FPV. With the current FPVDM design, booms are held between the top-frame plate and individual narrow plates. Instead of using the individual plates to hold the booms to the top-frame plate, how about sandwiching the booms with two top-frame plates. This layer can also hold all of the wires, and the bottom layer can hold the payload per the current design.

I'm just throwing out ideas.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:28 PM
DroneWorksUSA.net
Joined Dec 2011
3,674 Posts
Quote:
Why do you need it to fold?
For portability, so when I go on vacations or business travels, I can take the FPDM with me. Even with the arms folded, the FPVDM is still quite wide. I don't want to haul around a big bulky box.

Don't you travel for the Army? Wouldn't it be nice to take the FPVDM on your TDY trips?

With the arms folded flush along the frame, the FPVDM will be easier to pack in a narrow box with a strap, carry it over the shoulder, and hand carry it in the plane.

To minimize flex, perhaps the FPVDM can be made with three G10 plates (making it a dual layer) like the Iconic-X, QAV500, TBS Discovery, HT-FPV, and Flip FPV. With the current FPVDM design, booms are held between the top-frame plate and individual narrow plates. Instead using individual plates holding the booms to the top-frame plate, how about sandwiching the booms with two top-frame plates. This layer can also hold all of the wires, and the bottom layer can hold the payload per the current design.

I'm just throwing out ideas.
I thought about sandwiching 2 top plates onto the booms but the holes for the bottom piece were blocked lol. But Luis is working on it
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:29 PM
DroneWorksUSA.net
Joined Dec 2011
3,674 Posts
Oh I also don't bring rc on try trips lol. I'm to lazy XD
Old Dec 21, 2012, 05:49 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2007
1,533 Posts
Quote:
Oh I also don't bring rc on try trips lol. I'm to lazy XD
I try to take mine where ever I go. I need to have my fix.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 08:02 PM
DroneWorksUSA.net
Joined Dec 2011
3,674 Posts
Quote:
I try to take mine where ever I go. I need to have my fix.
Well when I lived in Alaska I kept mine in the back of my jeep everyday and when I would get off work I'd find a cool place to fly. I needed my daily fix back then too lol. Now some weeks ill fly 3 times and some weeks ill only fly once. Like the next 9 days I won't be flying so I might be a lil irritable JK
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:41 PM
DiaLFonZo - UAV/Drone
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2007
6,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyhigh300 View Post
ok guys.. I do like that option also..

I dont travel to much .. but I feel your pain right now when I have to lug around my AP hex machines.. they take up a TON of room..

I dont expect Flex to be a problem..

I'll see about about 2.0

few people have asked about the camera tilt option so my plan was to work on that next.. ( bring it back from the dead )
(Your alive...)
Dialfonzo is online now Find More Posts by Dialfonzo
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:05 PM
DroneWorksUSA.net
Joined Dec 2011
3,674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialfonzo View Post
(Your alive...)
Lmao he's been in hibernation
Old Dec 22, 2012, 12:34 AM
DiaLFonZo - UAV/Drone
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2007
6,864 Posts
Quote:
Lmao he's been in hibernation
Normaly i talk with him on daily basis..
But not lately...
Dialfonzo is online now Find More Posts by Dialfonzo
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 22, 2012, 03:00 AM
United States, AK, Wasilla
Joined Nov 2001
661 Posts
Just got my DM. Wow these are already built. Very stout machine. It makes my FPV manuals Tricopter look like a balsa stick glider. Thanks
hobbyboy is offline Find More Posts by hobbyboy