HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 13, 2012, 05:24 PM
Joined Apr 2012
42 Posts
Discussion
Best glue to fix cracked wing on PZ UM F4U Corsair?

There have been a lot of suggestions for glues that I should get. BSI CA glues seem quite good! I just wanted to know whether BSI Insta-Set Activator (http://www.fast-lad.co.uk/store/inst...51-p-9260.html) is alright to use on foam with BSI Super-Gold Foam Safe Thin Super Glue (http://www.fast-lad.co.uk/store/prod...oducts_id=9262). People have also recommended epoxy. Which kind would be the best because there are a lot of different epoxies that take different times to set. I'm not too keen on gorilla glue, and I only want to stick to one type of glue. Also ZAP don't seem to provide foam safe 'thin' CA which is what I need as I've only cracked the wing at the front, where the wing joins on to the plane, it's not snapped off. Thanks
sparkyz is offline Find More Posts by sparkyz
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2012, 05:35 PM
3d addict
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
Looks like it should be ok sparky. Just go easy on it though the activator causes a chemical reaction that does put out heat. I did find a great foam glue called beacon foam-tac that dries pretty fast and flexible which is great for this kind of stuff. I also used it to assemble my last kit made of depron

http://www.rcfoam.com/product_info.php?products_id=1243
Aaeolien is offline Find More Posts by Aaeolien
Old Aug 13, 2012, 05:47 PM
Joined Apr 2012
42 Posts
Ah, it doesn't seem as if it's available in the UK! Thanks though
Old Aug 13, 2012, 08:59 PM
3d addict
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
Ahh in the UK nice. Try UHU Por it's very similar.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 10:22 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
My two corsairs' wings have been nearly torn off. I used UHU por to glue them back on.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Aug 14, 2012, 09:37 AM
Joined Apr 2012
42 Posts
The UHU por looks really good for bigger damage, and I might buy that as well just in case, but the damage I have is quite small, it's a 1cm crack in wing, so would thin BSI foam safe CA be better for this amount of damage?
Old Aug 14, 2012, 09:48 AM
3d addict
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
CA would probably be fine. The problem with CA is it dries very hard and brittle so it is much more likely to break again in the same spot or right next to it. Nice part about the UHU is it dries and it's a bit more flexible. With the small crack tht size ca will probably be fine.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:01 AM
Joined Apr 2012
42 Posts
Thanks! I'll get both and save the UHU por for bigger crashes! With the UHU por, it says wait for 10 mins to dry and then press together, how long would I have to wait after that time for it to fully set and be secure?
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:12 AM
3d addict
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
I usually try to give it a couple of hours. I don't have the Por exactly but I have similar glues and after a couple hours it's fine. Remember with the Por if you wait 10 minutes after sticking it on there to out it together you get pretty much one shot to get it straight. It's pretty instant sticky after waiting the 10 minutes. So if you need to move it around ay want to stick it earlier than that.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:58 AM
Joined Apr 2012
42 Posts
Thanks! I'll take the CA and kicker for quick repairs at the field and the UHU por if anything major happens! Thanks for all of the replies!
Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:24 AM
3d addict
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
No problem. Enjoy the flying.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 05:39 PM
Joined Apr 2012
42 Posts
This is just another glue question, but when I apply the CA and kicker afterwards, it cures almost instantly, right? Could I fly it straight away or would I need to wait a few seconds, minutes, or hours (WITH kicker)? Thanks!
Old Aug 14, 2012, 06:38 PM
Joined Apr 2012
42 Posts
Agh, when I went back to the plane to look at it I found that the entire wing had been cracked, not just the front. I'm going to go for the UHU por after seeing my plane like that. Thanks for all of the help though!
Old Aug 14, 2012, 06:42 PM
Joined Apr 2012
42 Posts
I know I'm really persistent on this, but would BSI Super Gold Thin Foam Safe CA and the Insta-set kicker fix the wing now that it's completely broken off? Really sorry
Old Aug 14, 2012, 07:44 PM
3d addict
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
Yeah it will but it'll be prone to breaking there again due to the ca being more brittle once dry. I would definetly use the Por on that size crack.