HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:32 PM
KlonWarz
Joined Dec 2012
454 Posts
That did really well in the wind, J !
...and a very snazzy looking radio! did it come with the Hubsan x4 ?
rc
rusty case is offline Find More Posts by rusty case
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:12 PM
it WILL fly! someday....
Slovakia
Joined Aug 2008
448 Posts
Nope Jim, it was brand new hubsan. I think he had low rates on Tx, as he is beginner. I didn't like it. Dunno, I'm happy with mine . Regarding motor tilt, my problem was small inaccuracies in frame parts where motors are glued, so one or two motors were tilted inside or outside of copter, rather than in yaw direction. This really confused the hell out of gyros
Richard_s is offline Find More Posts by Richard_s
Old Feb 01, 2013, 04:43 PM
it WILL fly! someday....
Slovakia
Joined Aug 2008
448 Posts
Dammit, started shaking again! I did reflow yesterday, didn't help apparently. Interesting is, that it oscillates only with full battery. After a minute of fighting it, it flies okay. If it was motor issue, it would do it all the time, right?

I even built adjustable frame, so I can extend arms by 15 or 20mm. Nothing, extended one shakes just like small one.

Does fc run on 3.3V or it has step-up converter? Inductor on top side could indicate either step-up, or just LC filter.

Driving me mad already
Richard_s is offline Find More Posts by Richard_s
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:47 PM
KlonWarz
Joined Dec 2012
454 Posts
Bling!

R, maybe you could make good use of some Bling!

...follow me here... :-)

IF, your wobblies are only with a fresh battery charge, and you think the onboard voltage control is putting too much to the FC... well, chances are it will be too difficult to do much soldering on the board...

Reduce the voltage!
Add a little resistive load to the circuit and it may resolve your problem, and only cut your flite time by a small margin...

and how does that relate to Bling???

A nice string of LED nav lights IS Quad Bling! :-)

And they will trim the horns on that vicious new battery! lol

maybe it will work for you! good luck
rc
rusty case is offline Find More Posts by rusty case
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:04 AM
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Nov 2008
635 Posts
Here is my new micro H-quad. Basically walkera ladybird parts with a 5cmx12cm balsa wood frame. very stable imo. it weighs ~36g including 300mah turnigy 1s battery. Please excuse the messy wiring

Micro H-quad using Walkera Ladybird parts (0 min 40 sec)

Name: Photo 4.jpg
Views: 74
Size: 103.3 KB
Description:

Name: Photo 5.jpg
Views: 67
Size: 261.4 KB
Description:

Name: Photo 2.jpg
Views: 93
Size: 101.3 KB
Description:

Name: Photo 1.jpg
Views: 92
Size: 273.5 KB
Description:

Name: Photo 3.jpg
Views: 72
Size: 285.5 KB
Description:
nguyen.tran is offline Find More Posts by nguyen.tran
Old Feb 02, 2013, 11:40 AM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,461 Posts
Hi B,
Nice idea. Have you flown it outside in any wind yet?
I agree with you on the beetle canopies. I prefer the utility and protection of simple foam. From the Mini and Micro Multicopter section of the Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index

--Foam canopies for Mini and Micro quads 101

Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index
Quote:
Originally Posted by boycoldface View Post
Here is my new micro H-quad. Basically walkera ladybird parts with a 5cmx12cm balsa wood frame. very stable imo. it weighs ~36g including 300mah turnigy 1s battery. Please excuse the messy wiring

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzNhoB-48HA

Attachment 5501012

Attachment 5501013

Attachment 5501010

Attachment 5501009

Attachment 5501011
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:23 PM
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Nov 2008
635 Posts
No i haven't, just put it together last night. It's very windy and cold now in Montreal so I won't think I will be trying it outside anytime soon. But I think it will be pushed around a little bit more because it has a large surface of the frame.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:38 PM
Stoyan Zhekov
Japan, Osaka Prefecture, Osaka
Joined Dec 2012
152 Posts
Quote:
You just stole my idea I ordered U816 arms+motors from BG, have an V939 board and bought a little balsa for the platform. The space is always not enough on these small quads, so I was thinking about wider platform for the lipo and maybe camera (so basically H-quad). Very nice job with yours! Bravo!
zhesto is offline Find More Posts by zhesto
Old Feb 02, 2013, 09:19 PM
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Nov 2008
635 Posts
What?? No i didnt't!! haha I ordered the exact same parts for my H-quad too but then I couldn't wait so I gutted my ladybird. The motors and props came but my board isn't. Did you order some extension plugs for the motor or are you gonna solder the extension?
Thanks btw. Don't forget to post your pictures!
Old Feb 04, 2013, 03:59 AM
Stoyan Zhekov
Joined Dec 2012
152 Posts
Quote:
Did you order some extension plugs for the motor or are you gonna solder the extension?
Didn't order extension plugs, because I want first to get my arms. Still not sure how and where to put the board.
I ordered also Vitality H36 board, because it is FlySky compatible too and somebody here mentioned, that it is pretty good.
V939 = plugs, H-36 = soldering, so I wanted first to get all parts - arms and boards and try different builds, before ordering extension plugs.
BTW, about your extension plugs, did you make them by yourself or bought them from somewhere?
Old Feb 04, 2013, 08:41 PM
Ukraine, Crimea, Bakhchysarai
Joined Mar 2012
1,542 Posts
Hi guys. Looking at those self made things first thing I want to ask is is what is the benefit compared to stock frames? Boycoldface, I think if you cut some window in that wood it would have smaller surface, but I don't think horizontal surface matters as wind is blowing horizontally. I think of smth like that to attach camera but balancing might be difficult. But I'm thinking of some stronger motors, are ladybird's strong enough? Any other hardware candidate to be as cheap?
asanovrus is offline Find More Posts by asanovrus
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:47 PM
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Nov 2008
635 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhesto View Post
Didn't order extension plugs, because I want first to get my arms. Still not sure how and where to put the board.
I ordered also Vitality H36 board, because it is FlySky compatible too and somebody here mentioned, that it is pretty good.
V939 = plugs, H-36 = soldering, so I wanted first to get all parts - arms and boards and try different builds, before ordering extension plugs.
BTW, about your extension plugs, did you make them by yourself or bought them from somewhere?
I ordered them on ebay, the seller is from Hong Kong. Took about a week to get to Canada, costs me $4. It has 10 sets, each set has a male plug with wire-ready and an unsoldered female plug. I soldered the female plug to the wire, about ~10cm long i think. I'm not familiar with H36 size, but v939 and ladybird's arms are 6cm long from one end of the boom to the motor. So if you align 2 arms they will be 12cm long. The wire that comes with each arm is not long enough to reach the board so extension is definitely needed. Also if you change your mind you can always make a slightly larger x-quad. Without extension your design is quite limited imo
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:51 PM
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Nov 2008
635 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by asanovrus View Post
Hi guys. Looking at those self made things first thing I want to ask is is what is the benefit compared to stock frames? Boycoldface, I think if you cut some window in that wood it would have smaller surface, but I don't think horizontal surface matters as wind is blowing horizontally. I think of smth like that to attach camera but balancing might be difficult. But I'm thinking of some stronger motors, are ladybird's strong enough? Any other hardware candidate to be as cheap?
I dont know about others but for me it's more of satisfying my build passion. I can totally buy a bnf model but building one makes it fun. Might not be the most crash resistant quad but you can actually do stuff with it (like putting keychain camera on my hquad). To your question about balancing, my battery is around 10g, I can put it on the other side of the quad to balance the keychain camera, which i heard is around 10g too, mine is still on the way so I'm not very sure yet. Anyone wants to chime in?

From reading this thread I think ladybird motors are one of the strongest if not the strongest among quads of its size, unless you want to go geared motor like v929 in which case you definitely have more power. Maybe I'd go with something that size in my next build.

Nguyen
Old Feb 05, 2013, 12:17 AM
Stoyan Zhekov
Joined Dec 2012
152 Posts
Quote:
Looking at those self made things first thing I want to ask is is what is the benefit compared to stock frames?
It's personal for everybody, but as Boycoldface said, first maybe it's the fun and the ability to learn by doing, not only reading.
As for me, after some crashes, I have parts left and I wanted to reuse them. But the stock frames are some times with uncompatible geometries - screws on different places etc. For my first try, I cut the stock frame to meet my needs, but I hoped balsa platform will be more flexible.
Also, as much as possible, I wanted to reduce the number of Tx (so I made FlySky compatible frankencopter), that's why I didn't order the same U816 board, but replaced it with V939 one.
As a one more, maybe future goal, I wanted also to try putting #808 camera on my mini-quad, but the stock frames are too small, so everything grows vertically. H-Quad will give me more space to try different batteries, camera etc.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:37 AM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,046 Posts
Quote:
Looking at those self made things first thing I want to ask is is what is the benefit compared to stock frames?
well, since we are all counting the ways...

1. diy is fun.
2. frame costs less than 1% that of stock units. (you can build 100 instead of just one)
3. weight is 1/4 to 1/3 that of stock frames.
4. bamboo is many times more unbreakable compared to plastic and cf (see 3). both my stock quads broke but so far not one of the diy.
5. hub can accept many different fc unlike stock which only fit with 1 or 2.
6. arm length and therefor quad size can vary from 4"(100mm) to 2'(60cm), stock is fixed.
7. due to lower weight more types of batteries can be used. camera too.
8. you get a huge education on how motors, circuits, and multicopters work. very good intro before jumping into the big ones.
9. did i mention diy is fun?
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993