HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:41 AM
KlonWarz
Joined Dec 2012
454 Posts
SF, this is NOT? the one with the bic pen booms & nylon motor holders?
Got a new pic for us? :-)
rc
rusty case is offline Find More Posts by rusty case
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:52 PM
GOT WINGS
United States, TX, Wilbarger
Joined Apr 2012
2,200 Posts
I abandoned the bic pen and nylon setup because I could not get the weight down. Best I could do was 38g no battery without landing gear or canopy. This one has wooden dowels and motor mounts. Weighs 30g without battery or canopy. I have been having trouble getting the motors and props lined up, but had it flying fairly well outside until I hit my 7 yr old's tricycle and knocked a motor lose I will try to post some pictures and more info later today. My lunch break is over, bye.
siriusflier is online now Find More Posts by siriusflier
Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:12 PM
KlonWarz
Joined Dec 2012
454 Posts
I never liked tricycles.
rusty case is offline Find More Posts by rusty case
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:19 PM
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Nov 2008
481 Posts
can I use 939 main frame to replace the ladybird's?
nguyen.tran is online now Find More Posts by nguyen.tran
Old Jan 18, 2013, 02:41 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1,594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boycoldface View Post
can I use 939 main frame to replace the ladybird's?
Yes but only with a small modification.
v939 has 4mm x 3mm and LB 3mm x 3mm motorarms.
I used a small part of my old creditcard (1mm thick) glued on the end ot the motorarm to tight fit into v939 frame.

The v939/v202 (looks similar) are the most solid frame of all the micros.
mystman is online now Find More Posts by mystman
Old Jan 18, 2013, 07:13 AM
crewe england
Joined Feb 2004
114 Posts
Bamboo Landing Gear

I ain't tried or weighed this suggestion but it occurred to me that sliced bamboo curved into landing gear over a candle flame might be strong enough and lighter than tywraps???
richard tunstal is offline Find More Posts by richard tunstal
Old Jan 18, 2013, 07:16 AM
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Nov 2008
481 Posts
thank you, can I just hot glue it? I broke my ladybird frame trying to flip.

Another question, I tried making a new frame using ladybird gut, i believe I have all my motors connect in the right direction but for some reason my quad spinner lightly and yawed to the left. am I missing a step about calibrating stick or calibrating gyro or something?
Old Jan 18, 2013, 07:19 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1,594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boycoldface View Post
thank you, can I just hot glue it? I broke my ladybird frame trying to flip.

Another question, I tried making a new frame using ladybird gut, i believe I have all my motors connect in the right direction but for some reason my quad spinner lightly and yawed to the left. am I missing a step about calibrating stick or calibrating gyro or something?
Better ask this questions in the LadyBird main thread : http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1634746
mystman is online now Find More Posts by mystman
Old Jan 18, 2013, 02:19 PM
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Nov 2008
481 Posts
oh sorry, because it's part of my diy quad so i thought i could just ask here..
Old Jan 18, 2013, 03:34 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
5,917 Posts
hey... dont let mystman scare you away. hes a bad dude but we need him to find good deals for us. lol! the thing is ladybird is the cadillac of quads and most of us here drive nissan. idk too much about walkera radio. maybe the yaw is caused by motors out of align. im sure you can build a good diy version with those parts and would be nice to see the result when you get it right.
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Old Jan 18, 2013, 04:00 PM
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Nov 2008
481 Posts
Hi dave,
Thanks for the encouragement. I just bought this plug
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Mini-Micro-JS...item2a280a4996
is it the right one to extend the motor wires?
I'm thinking of using plywood as the frame to build a Hquad. I have three questions, do you think it can carry a keychain camera? Which kind of glue work great with plywood? i tried hot glue and it didnt seem to work very well. And also how big a quad can the ladybird board handle?
Old Jan 18, 2013, 04:10 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
5,917 Posts
those connectors look ok. any time you see 1.25 thats a good sign.

i dont have experience with the ladybird board but no problem lifting 2 foot quad with v939 and v929 board as you can see in my video. geared quads like v929 and x1 have lots of lifting power but the direct drive ones like ladybird and v939 dont have too much to spare. you can sometimes boost it with high c cells and powerful motors but the heat and wear can be excessive. im not sure plywood is good unless its very light. maybt the 1-2mm stuff.

also be aware these smaller quads have more vibration and "jello" effect is hard to get rid of. sometimes foam damping works. other times velcro or gyro tape. hard to predict. dont let me dsicourage you though. i got pretty good video with old cheapo 808 and also the new #16. however it was not as easy as with the bigger v929. my guess is unless you can get weight down to less than an ounce there may be lifting issues. and also flight time is reduced.
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Old Jan 18, 2013, 08:43 PM
GOT WINGS
United States, TX, Wilbarger
Joined Apr 2012
2,200 Posts
Ok, this is my third attempt to build my own micro quad using an X1 board and motors. X1 board may be larger and heavier than the the micro boards, but it was cheap - $9.51 when I bought it at BG. The X1 motors were $10.36. And MJX X100 props were $1.68, but I used them on my V202, so my DIY has V202 props. This is still a work in progress, it needs fine tuning, a little paint, and a canopy, but it flies fairly well. I will try to add pictures this time.
It weighs 32 grams as it is without battery and is 11 cm M2M.
The middle of the frame is plastic cross piece that dowel rod booms fit into.
Adjustable velcro strap is glued and screwed to bottom to hold battery.
Red shrink tube on booms. Wooden motor mounts. Motors glued in with super weather strip adhesive. Plastic legs. Plugs added to X1 boards and motors. And I used small screw through some 1/8" thick rubber grommets to attach the board directly to the booms.
siriusflier is online now Find More Posts by siriusflier
Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:22 PM
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Jun 2012
554 Posts
Nice work, Sirius. Got any flight video?

Right now I've got 2 U816's, a V929 without enough motor booms, and a X4 with two broken motors that I'm going to convert into DIY quads once I order motors from MassiveRC. I look at it as a stepping stone to making a brushless quad.

Has anyone had Any luck using a V929 board on one of these little frames?

By the way, here's an idea for landing feet: Use the rubber tips off of styluses (they wear out anyways after much use on an iPad).

These are pretty cheap:

http://www.amazon.com/Bundle-Capacit...eywords=Stylus

Just pull the tips off with pliars. I'd imagine Goop or E6000 glue would hold them well.
variantman is offline Find More Posts by variantman
Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:28 PM
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Nov 2008
481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1993 View Post
those connectors look ok. any time you see 1.25 thats a good sign.

i dont have experience with the ladybird board but no problem lifting 2 foot quad with v939 and v929 board as you can see in my video. geared quads like v929 and x1 have lots of lifting power but the direct drive ones like ladybird and v939 dont have too much to spare. you can sometimes boost it with high c cells and powerful motors but the heat and wear can be excessive. im not sure plywood is good unless its very light. maybt the 1-2mm stuff.

also be aware these smaller quads have more vibration and "jello" effect is hard to get rid of. sometimes foam damping works. other times velcro or gyro tape. hard to predict. dont let me dsicourage you though. i got pretty good video with old cheapo 808 and also the new #16. however it was not as easy as with the bigger v929. my guess is unless you can get weight down to less than an ounce there may be lifting issues. and also flight time is reduced.
so sorry I meant balsa wood not plywood, what's wrong with my head today haha, I tried strapping another turnigy 300mah onto the quad to see if it can lift and I could tell the motor was over working, I could here them scream louder than usual and the quad could barely stay afloat. the battery is around 10g, how much does the 808 weigh? also where do you get the 808#16? I guess not banggood because I have been searching there for hours and couldn't find anything but the cheap old 808.