to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2013, 04:20 PM
Gone with the Mistral
France, PACA, 13
Joined Jun 2012
69 Posts
Ice cream sticks...

Hi,
As I did not have barbecue sticks on hand (what an excuse...), I try to make a kwkqd (my first "homemade" quad at all ) with ice cream sticks : to my surprise, it flies pretty well, but is anyway overweighted (32g says my balance, but maybe not accurate at all...)
There is no landing gear so the first gyro init was not really level, but I managed to keep it steady, really surprising.
In fact, the 2nd battery flight show me how this little thing is stable (less than 5" = 11,5cm M2M), most of time was in a 1 square meter, very little correction.
But maybe trouble will start when I try a loop (not tested yet). I'll see that.
So here is my version of Dave1993 <20$ quad (thanks for your DIY thead, that's really cool)

FC = v939 (fly with my 9X)
motors = 7mm (dont remember where they came from, was last month...)
prop = mjx100 (not sure either...)
battery = 300mAh (WL v939 stock batt)
4 ice cream sticks = pick your favorite (black chocolate)
Will try a video tomorrow
@+
Olivier
ztoon13 is offline Find More Posts by ztoon13
Last edited by ztoon13; Jan 07, 2013 at 05:54 PM. Reason: inch/cm conversion bug
Old Jan 07, 2013, 10:52 PM
GOT WINGS
United States, TX, Wilbarger
Joined Apr 2012
2,338 Posts
ZToon, I like it. Good first effort, probably better than my first. My first weighed 46 grams wo battery and was 14 cm M2M. Could only get its weight down to about 38 grams, so I am trying again. Have a frame almost finished that will be 9 cm M2M. Part of my weight problem might be that I am using a board from a bigger quad, the Syma X1 board, but it did work well with my T9x tx. I will try to post pictures when I get it all together.
siriusflier is online now Find More Posts by siriusflier
Old Jan 07, 2013, 11:38 PM
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Jun 2012
554 Posts
Ztoon, that looks fantastic. Much better than the bamboo skewer quads. I may have to reconfigure one of my U816's into something like that. Please post a video.
variantman is offline Find More Posts by variantman
Old Jan 08, 2013, 08:45 AM
Joined Aug 2011
221 Posts
Yesterday I received the parts that I ordered from Banggood, putted it together and flew it. What a blast, but on mysecond flight the quad crashed and landed on one of the props (ofcourse) and pushed the motor shaft through that poor motor. So here I am, waiting on a new order from BG to arrive. I did order some extra batteries besides replacement and spare motors.
It's the v939 board and 300mah battery. What flight times can I expect with an AUW of ~27g?
xardinen is online now Find More Posts by xardinen
Old Jan 08, 2013, 08:56 AM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,454 Posts
Hi X,
At that typical ~30g micro AUW, expect 5-9 minutes with varying quality ~240-350mah lipos: Micro quad OEM and Turnigy Nano-Tech lipo tests 101 Do the Motor saver mod on your motors to keep the motor landings from pushing the bottom of the motor apart: Micro motor saver guards

More info can be found int he Mini and Micro Multicopter section of the Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index

Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index

Quote:
Originally Posted by xardinen View Post
Yesterday I received the parts that I ordered from Banggood, putted it together and flew it. What a blast, but on mysecond flight the quad crashed and landed on one of the props (ofcourse) and pushed the motor shaft through that poor motor. So here I am, waiting on a w order from BG to arrive. I did order some extra batteries besides replacement and spare motors.
It's the v939 board and 300mah battery. What flight times can I expect with an AUW of ~27g?
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:22 AM
Gone with the Mistral
France, PACA, 13
Joined Jun 2012
69 Posts
Hi,
Quote:
My guess is you can start with a 5min flight and see how low goes your batt at the end. Maybe you can have a 7min flight time, your quad seems to be in the "light" range I think. Btw, my balance says 34g today (same configuration as yesterday, ready for flight with batt, maybe I'll find less tomorrow)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesolins View Post
Hi X,
Do the Motor saver mod on your motors to keep the motor landings from pushing the bottom of the motor apart: Micro motor saver guards
I was not aware that the shaft could possibly move in case of crash. Did I understand well ? I suppose the mod keep the prop from pushing down, right ? if yes, this mod must be done quickly...

Find a short video of my version
short hover test flight (1 min 8 sec)
@+
Olivier
Last edited by ztoon13; Jan 09, 2013 at 12:49 PM. Reason: video insert instead of link
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:50 AM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,454 Posts
Hi Z,
Nice work on your DIY frame
Yes the motor bottoms can be pushed out in an upside down crash with obviously bad results in damaging or ruining the motor. Here is a Traxxas video on how that can sometimes, but not always be fixed: Coreless motor bottom fix video

That link can also be found in the Mini and Micro Multicopter section of the Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index

Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztoon13 View Post
I was not aware that the shaft could possibly move in case of crash. Did I understand well ? I suppose the mod keep the prop from pushing down, right ? if yes, this mod must be done quickly...

Find a short video of my version here

@+
Olivier
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Old Jan 08, 2013, 11:12 AM
Joined Aug 2011
221 Posts
Yes, right after the crash I did that mod to the remaining motors. I hope this mod will make the copter last a little longer.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 01:14 PM
United States, VA
Joined Dec 2006
1,488 Posts
There is no need to do battery timing with the V939 board because it has auto-shutoff when your battery is approximately 80% used. Just fly until it forces you to land and won't start again then your battery will be discharged a safe amount.
LittleMo is offline Find More Posts by LittleMo
Old Jan 08, 2013, 03:20 PM
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Jun 2012
554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMo View Post
There is no need to do battery timing with the V939 board because it has auto-shutoff when your battery is approximately 80% used. Just fly until it forces you to land and won't start again then your battery will be discharged a safe amount.
That's neat. I wonder if all the micro nd mini quads do this? It would make sense.
variantman is offline Find More Posts by variantman
Old Jan 08, 2013, 03:29 PM
United States, VA
Joined Dec 2006
1,488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by variantman View Post
That's neat. I wonder if all the micro nd mini quads do this? It would make sense.
I'm not sure but my Genius CP does it too. My V911 does not but you can tell when it's low because it won't fly.

Although many people don't trust these auto-shutoff mechanisms, in my experience it has been very accurate judging by how much charge the batteries take afterwards.
LittleMo is offline Find More Posts by LittleMo
Old Jan 09, 2013, 04:25 AM
Joined Aug 2011
221 Posts
Given the price on these 1s lipos I gladly trust the auto-shutoff on my v939 board.
Any updates on the micro MWC board? I'd love to have accelerometers and MWC on a quad this small, it would be a great platform for a computer vision based control system that I have in mind.
Old Jan 09, 2013, 07:03 AM
Gone with the Mistral
France, PACA, 13
Joined Jun 2012
69 Posts
HI,
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMo View Post
I did not know that...
Quote:
Given the price on these 1s lipos I gladly trust the auto-shutoff on my v939 board.
You're right, these lipos are cheap, let's try the auto-shutoff. I ended with 3,65V after a 7min flight time, which is just 0,1V below my favorite value. Given the accuracy of charger/multimeter and the fact I'm lazy, I guess it's about the same .
Best part is that it seems (only 1 batt test) to be a "soft" cutoff, it does not fall like a rock.That's important for me as I'm not sure yet how my quad will take a hard crash (already had some, still survive).
I wonder if it is the same for my v929..?
Thanks for sharing

(edit) I add a second (boring) video of my build
desktop hover training (8 min 24 sec)

@+
Olivier
Last edited by ztoon13; Jan 10, 2013 at 02:25 AM.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 03:14 PM
GOT WINGS
United States, TX, Wilbarger
Joined Apr 2012
2,338 Posts
ok, I have been working on this DIY quad for awhile, first attempt was kind of heavy, second attempt still is-weighs about 38g without battery, canopy, or landing skids, so I am not really happy with it, but it flies, and was cheap as far as parts go. $9.51 for Syma X1 board, 1.68 for MJX X100 rotor blades, and 5.16 for nylon elbows. So cost of parts bought and used equals $16.51. Cost of design, engineering, time spent, and labor would be....a lot Amount learned and challenge...great!! I bought 4 syma x1 motors for about $11, but I decided to use or V929 motors and save the x1 motors as replacements for my V202. Pinions were wore out on V929 motors, so I removed them for direct drive application. I put x100 blades on v202, so this one has V202 blades. There is an aluminum crossbrace underneath and a velcro strap to mount the battery. I have only been able to fly it inside for a brief period, but I think it will fly fairly well.

I used bic pens for booms because I wanted to be able to run motor wires inside and use the nylon elbows, but that frame combo is too heavy and the wires are only iside for an inch or so, and they are difficult to align. The x1 board adds weight, and the 8.5mm diameter motors also contribute to making it too heavy, only advantage was they were inexpensive. My next build will use wood to reduce weight an ease alignment and assembly.

The diagonal diameter from front right motor center to back left motor center is 9mm. I still need to add some kind of canopy and some legs, but here are some pictures. Most of my inspiration came from reading this thread.
siriusflier is online now Find More Posts by siriusflier