HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:06 PM
Joined Apr 2012
3,508 Posts
I have V939 board and it's not behave like that on lower rates.The others can confirm it.
Or maybe your board is not good.Try on your model settings like the one I proposed to you and see if is the same or not.It is not complicated to try more models or settings.You have nothing to loose.Or post your problem in the other threads,up to you.
One thing can you upload also your general settings,eepg file?
midelic is online now Find More Posts by midelic
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DIY Multiprotocol TX Module
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:22 PM
United States, VA
Joined Dec 2006
1,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by midelic View Post
I have V939 board and it's not behave like that on lower rates.The others can confirm it.
Or maybe your board is not good.Try on your model settings like the one I proposed to you and see if is the same or not.It is not complicated to try more models or settings.You have nothing to loose.Or post your problem in the other threads,up to you.
One thing can you upload also your general settings,eepg file?
I have two boards, I suppose they both could be bad.

Of course we're talking about custom quads here so knows. The motors are different, the frame is different and everyone in this thread has different versions. Maybe mine are too light and/or too small. That could cause issues like the board applying too much power to compensate.

I mean I'll keep playing with it. I think I'll try adding more weight to see what happens and maybe eventually higher power motors. Anyone tried to run these at 2S? I could use two of the 300 mAh batteries and still be under the weight of a real V939. I bet it would rip at 8 volts and the Walkera props. Motors and FET's might only last for one flight, haha. Would have to use a regulator to protect the main part of the board from the higher voltage.
LittleMo is offline Find More Posts by LittleMo
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:29 PM
Joined Apr 2012
3,508 Posts
I have an ideea ,just passing trough my mind .I forgot completely you have DYI 17 grams quad.Maybe have something to do with CG,Maybe your CG is too high.For this reason good to mount arms at the top of the motor,keep CG lower as possible.If too high on very light frame may flip quad very easily.It is not just only adding weight but keeping CG lower.You can use 2 bateries and connect only one.Just a thought.Also change motors for 7x20mm.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by midelic; Nov 18, 2012 at 03:40 PM.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:33 PM
United States, VA
Joined Dec 2006
1,485 Posts
Quote:
I have an ideea ,just passing trough my mind .I forgot you have completely DYI 17 grams frame.Maybe have something to do with CG,Maybe you CG is too high.For this reason good to mount arms at the top of the motor,keep CG lower as possible.If too high on very light frame may flip quad very easily.Just a thought.
Actually that's a very good thought that had not occurred to me. And my arms are mounted at the top of the motors which can't help. Maybe all this makes it really unstable. I believe dave1993 commented on this as well.

I'm definitely going to mount my arms at the bottom of the motors on this next version I'm building. That could make all the difference. I'll test with higher weight too to see if that changes anything.

Hmmm, now I have a mission.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:39 PM
Joined Apr 2012
3,508 Posts
Dave DYI quad is the closest to yours(frame weight and motors),so he can advice you better.Ask him also regarding the TX settings if he had the same problem.As you noticed we have different frame mounts and motors.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DIY Multiprotocol TX Module
Old Nov 18, 2012, 04:36 PM
United States, VA
Joined Dec 2006
1,485 Posts
Woot, managed to get both my broken motors working again. I'm not sure how long they will last because it will be really easy for the bottom to pop out again but they're working for now.

I guess theoretically it would be possible to replace the brushes when they wear out. That might be an interesting.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:21 AM
United States, VA
Joined Dec 2006
1,485 Posts
Anyone know if dried pu glue will hold up when dipped in the oil based pu floor stuff? I'm wondering if it will dissolve the glue.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:52 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
5,972 Posts
im amazed you were able to fix those endcaps back on. you must have patience of job. every time i tried they got totally destroyed. i just never seemed able to spread those brushes to get it back together. id be surprised if those brushes could be replaced too. anyway the motors are so cheap its almost not worth trying. waiting for them to arrive can be a pain though.

to prevent this from happening again simply push the props all the way down in the shaft. most important is to hold the end when pushing on props. another trick i mentioned was to put a couple tiny specks of pu foam in the bottom of the tube to stop the end of the motor. i havent popped a cap off in a long time now (knock on wood)

i dont know if dipping in enamel hurts pu foam but spraying and painting it on seems ok. that dont look like pu foam in your photo anyway. it looks like straight pu which should be resistant to just about anything.

btw those are some really cool diy/franken-quads you guys are coming up with. i cant wait to see how some of the new motors and fc boards are going to work out.
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:10 PM
United States, VA
Joined Dec 2006
1,485 Posts
Yeah, to put the end-caps back on you need really good vision and a very bright light to see what you're doing. I had to break out the tiny instruments and carefully bend each little finger on each brush back into shape then carefully slide the motor shaft in from one side. Took a couple tries on one motor before it worked. One motor now rotates in reverse compared to how it originally turned, I have no idea how that happened.

I put straight pu circling the motor mount to try to hold them better. It works really well, haven't broken a mount again despite slamming the quads into the ground at full throttle (upside down) from 20 or 30 feet up.

My black quad is now in the trash. The frame got so bent and torn that I just scraped it. The motors never came loose again though. My next version will have double lamented frame pieces that are completely dipped in pu enamel. That's why I was asking about the dried pu glue in the enamel because I want to use the pu glue to bond everything on the new quads instead using white glue (pu-through-and-through, lol).

I figured I should be pushing the props on more but the problem is when they're on all the way it's downright impossible to get them off again. Or at least I haven't figured out the trick of how to easily get them off without breaking stuff.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:12 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Finally I found a good source of bigger motors.I think they are 8.5x20mm because Syma X1 is a clone of V929.
For 10 bucks I bought 4 motors to use with my V929 4-plugs board.I'm surprised this bargain was so easy overlooked,........INCREDIBLE.

http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-Sy...4-p-54187.html
hey midelic, thanks for that link. i just ordered a set of 10 to get the cost even lower. it looks like with v939 board still no problem keeping under $18. considering the evolution of my own efforts (grasshopper motors barely lifting, s107 and ali able to lift camera, etc) these should be quite a treat. anyway apparently they will work as replacements for my v929 which has more lifing power than any of the brush quads i tried so far. this stuff is REALLY fun!
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:41 PM
Joined Apr 2012
3,508 Posts
I'm really surprised at this price nobody noticed.
The Walkera hollow cup motors 7x20 mm -2.89 USD are pricier.
I'll build a nice micro with these motors using my 4 plugs V929 board.They have plastic pinions which are easier to remove.
I'm still waiting feedback from you guys with Syma X1 board.I couldn't resist I ordered one for myself.I see it has accelerometer.
About fun, I have a lot of this,more than I can physically "chew".24 hours a day it's not enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1993 View Post
hey midelic, thanks for that link. i just ordered a set of 10 to get the cost even lower. it looks like with v939 board still no problem keeping under $18. considering the evolution of my own efforts (grasshopper motors barely lifting, s107 and ali able to lift camera, etc) these should be quite a treat. anyway apparently they will work as replacements for my v929 which has more lifing power than any of the brush quads i tried so far. this stuff is REALLY fun!
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by midelic; Nov 19, 2012 at 03:01 PM.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:18 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
5,972 Posts
Quote:
I'm still waiting feedback from you guys with Syma X1 board.I couldn't resist I ordered one for myself.I see it has accelerometer.
i also couldnt resist and got 2 on the way. i was thinking it wasnt as good what with no connectors but accelerometer? where did you find out about this?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:25 PM
Joined Apr 2012
3,508 Posts
About acc. see below post.I'm not sure if it is true or not.I think it have some more sophisticated gyro control than normal.Again, I think this quad was overlooked.From what I see Syma is known brand not some cheap thing.Connectors are not a problem I have a lot of them
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1744657

I've seen some incredible videos of this one .It plays incredible, much better than V929.

http://www.symatoys.com/video.html#play

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1993 View Post
i also couldnt resist and got 2 on the way. i was thinking it wasnt as good what with no connectors but accelerometer? where did you find out about this?
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by midelic; Nov 19, 2012 at 03:36 PM.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:30 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
5,972 Posts
thanks for that link but unlikely there is an accelerometer. looks like jack is not quite up to speed on fc technology. no mcu comes with integrated accel. judging by cost alone id say its same deal as all these other boards.

im a little worried now if its actually 9x protocol. if it is and solves the rebind problem ill be happy.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:39 PM
Joined Apr 2012
3,508 Posts
I don't think it has acc but some tweaked gyro control. better than others quad.They advertise some."The newest 3 axis gyro flying system with more sensitive gyro regulation".Maybe it will work on smaller frames.We will see ,.........you first.
They say it is 9x compatible.

http://primealliance.net/forum-topic-813.html
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by midelic; Nov 19, 2012 at 03:48 PM.