SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 07, 2012, 12:15 PM
United States, CA, Folsom
Joined Jun 2011
152 Posts
wow 90 days almost 600 posts... i have been sitting on the sidelines so far and time to order parts...

Is the "recommended build of materials" in post #1 still the same or do we have a more optimized list ?

i have Ct6b tx/rx already... need to buy control board, motors, prop
radhav is offline Find More Posts by radhav
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2012, 12:16 PM
I think I'm inverted. Maybe.
United States, CA, Pacifica
Joined Apr 2012
1,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by radhav View Post
wow 90 days almost 600 posts... i have been sitting on the sidelines so far and time to order parts...

Is the "recommended build of materials" in post #1 still the same or do we have a more optimized list ?

i have Ct6b tx/rx already... need to buy control board, motors, prop

Yeah. A revised and optimized parts list would be great.
acetech09 is offline Find More Posts by acetech09
Old Nov 07, 2012, 02:20 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acetech09 View Post
Ok. The motor talk stopped abruptly, and now I'm trying to figure out which motor people settled on was their favorite. Anyone care to enlighten me? Also, I'm interested in hearing about the syma boards.
if by "stopped abruptly" you mean a few hours went by then you are correct. the parts list in post #1 is probably still most reliable so far for good performance within budget. and many alternatives are known so hesitation is unwarranted.

there are more powerful motors that cost more (v939, lb, udi, etc) and cheaper ones too but not confirmed to work. for example im pretty sure the n20/k20 type lquick and zoohr mention are too weak. at least the dozen or so different ones ive tried failed to provide enough lift. all the 7mm motors i tried checked out except for that 2nd batch from aliexpress which may have been a fluke. even they proved acceptable in the octo and for a couple micro planes i built. hard to go wrong no matter which way you go there. we are not talking hundereds of dollars here.

as far as alternate props any of the direct drive quad ones do a great job. and we have several choices for other fc boards now. even the new spektrum compatible one and those from walkera or any other quad will do depending on what kind of tx you have.

if there are lower cost items proven to work from relaible sources i will update post #1. so for now unless youre willing to experiment the part list is a very good place to start.
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Old Nov 08, 2012, 02:22 PM
Joined Apr 2012
3,899 Posts
Update on my quad.

.Add polystyrene canopy =0.6grams(thanks to jesolins for good ideea).This polystyrene canopy fits perfectly on the V929 round frame and came from Christmas tree ornaments.Now I need to find a theme for painting it.The stock canopy of V929 was too heavy -3.4grams and I discarded it.

Update again.
Previous installed CF boom now broken(2 pcs).I observed also a torsional efect on CF boom causing the wobling efect on the quad.This material crackes very easily.Now I have 2 CF arms like a torsional rubber band .I'll go back to bamboo arms and use drinking straws fro protection.I observed also V929 frame =3.4 grams ,way too heavy, so I'll use a Wakera QR frame =1.4grams(2 grams less).The frame is a copy of V939 frame with screws,in fact is vice versa Walkera QR is the original
midelic is offline Find More Posts by midelic
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by midelic; Nov 11, 2012 at 07:47 AM.
Old Nov 08, 2012, 08:00 PM
Joined Apr 2012
1,509 Posts
Hmm. How much does your original budget quad frame weigh, without electronics? My current prototype seems to be flying more sluggish than it should, and I don't know what I should be shooting for.
Old Nov 09, 2012, 06:00 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1,594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acetech09 View Post
Hmm. How much does your original budget quad frame weigh, without electronics? My current prototype seems to be flying more sluggish than it should, and I don't know what I should be shooting for.
Can you post some pictures ?
mystman is online now Find More Posts by mystman
Old Nov 09, 2012, 08:14 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by midelic View Post
Previous installed CF boom now broken(2 pcs).I observed also a torsional efect on CF boom causing the wobling efect on the quad.This material crackes very easily.Now I have 2 CF arms like a torsional rubber band .I'll go back to bamboo arms and use drinking straws fro protection.I observed also V929 frame =3.4 grams ,way too heavy, so I'll use a Wakera QR frame =1.4grams(2 grams less).
too bad because that was one slick lookin' pup. the square cf on my v929 got real twisty too after a couple crashes. im wondering if round cf tube is more resistant. it has less adhesion than bamboo but im going to try it anyway because i have a large supply and its so cheap easy to stay under $18. im gonna try foam first though.

3.4g too heavy?????? yikes. i thought i was doing good with that 4.3g frame in post #1. i find it hard to believe qr (or any frame for that matter) is 1.4g. maybe foam is the key to light weight.
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Old Nov 10, 2012, 09:39 AM
Joined Apr 2012
3,899 Posts
Sorry, it was a misunderstanding. I was talking about V929 plastic original main frame.In fact togheter with bamboo arms is 6.4 grams.With V939 original main frame is 4.7 grams.So DON'T PANIC. In fact you didn't gain much regarding the work involved, it was better using Walkera/V939 original frame=1.4 grams.Walkera QR main frame is the best,it has 3x3mm square arm socket and coming with 4 rubber shock absorber and screws,V939 has 3x4mm arm socket and nothing else ,which is more dificult to handle.
In my opinion the bamboo arms coated with a protective film of wood lacqueur/varnish are the best for micro-quad assembly,much better than the CF square tube.The weight is the same as CF tube.I tried both and I'm really disappointed of CF tube.

http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-Wa...3-p-46558.html
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by midelic; Nov 10, 2012 at 10:59 AM.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:06 AM
Joined Apr 2012
3,899 Posts
My new hybrid UDI816-motors/V939-controller/Walkera QR-frame/bamboo arms,plastic straws/Turnigy nano-300mAh-45C.
Works nice in my opinion( a litle frisky).I tried to reduce weight as much as possible.
Weight =33 grams.

Also my V911-good for all batteries charger.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by midelic; Nov 10, 2012 at 12:58 PM.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 01:16 PM
The Netherlands, GE, Doetinchem
Joined Apr 2012
79 Posts
Well, the foam quadcopter is finished.
Here a little youtube vid, one from outside will follow (it still does flips)
And in the attachments the thing itself.
Foam Quadcopter (0 min 0 sec)
KoekieMonster is offline Find More Posts by KoekieMonster
Old Nov 10, 2012, 01:29 PM
Joined Apr 2012
3,899 Posts
Which size is your frame M2M-motor center diameter?
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by midelic; Nov 11, 2012 at 04:36 AM.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 02:33 PM
United States, VA
Joined Dec 2006
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoekieMonster View Post
Well, the foam quadcopter is finished.
Here a little youtube vid, one from outside will follow (it still does flips)
And in the attachments the thing itself.
Wow, what a racket that thing makes. Is that really what it sounds like? Is one of the props hitting the shroud?

Doesn't make me want to use foam, that's for sure. Cool frame though!
LittleMo is offline Find More Posts by LittleMo
Old Nov 10, 2012, 04:37 PM
United States, VA
Joined Dec 2006
1,497 Posts
Anyone know the dimensions of the V939 main board?
Old Nov 10, 2012, 04:46 PM
Joined Apr 2012
1,509 Posts
I'm pretty sure it's 30x30 but I don't have one to measure...
Old Nov 10, 2012, 05:25 PM
United States, VA
Joined Dec 2006
1,497 Posts
I don't know, the DSM replacement board is 25mm. Hmmm...