HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 04, 2012, 12:25 PM
Joined Apr 2012
3,681 Posts
Dave,
Yes,...better start a new thread regarding this....... brushed to brushless converter.From my search on the net, there is none(DIY) about this.
They will jump on you .......like eagles.
midelic is offline Find More Posts by midelic
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DIY Multiprotocol TX Module
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2012, 12:41 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdavies83 View Post
Read the centre pin of a pot (on the V911 board servo) and output a servo signal, in the PM mentioned project a pair of 1.5g servo would be much easier to implement.

(could a custom Dave converter do two motor to PWM and two Servo POT to PWM?)
unfortunately i cant do custom variations because somebody else owns the ip. but what you need to convert pot (voltage) to servo is very common. its called a "servo tester". they make them out of pics, avrs, or any other micro and there are no components required besides the chip. you just hook a pot to one end and the servo signal comes out the other end. i got a few of these and will sell much cheaper than the pwm converter. a buck or two. i think theyre pic based.
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Old Oct 04, 2012, 06:15 PM
working to the closest cm
brisbane australia
Joined Nov 2002
2,127 Posts
Dave papal sent
Just checking papal said
Richard Smith?

Cheers Jeff
jirvin_4505 is online now Find More Posts by jirvin_4505
Old Oct 04, 2012, 07:03 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
yeah. thats the fellow who set me up here at rc groups and email and paypal. i was too young for a credit card back then and since i worked for rich he let me use his card. now its pretty much my account but i wish they would let me change the name. as i was telling jesolins rich was a big influence in my life. he got me going with my assembly business and also main reason i got the ee degree this year. he was very active on rc groups until a few years ago and moved overseas. i inherited all his rc stuff because he left the hobby too. i miss him.

anyway ill check all the pp entries day aft tommorrow then ship this 2nd batch out. thanks everybody for turning all that dead weight into cash. i got enough money now to build a complete brushless quad. i see in the crystal ball a new thread....
Old Oct 05, 2012, 10:19 AM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
i was asked for a pic of the finished diy octocopter so post #1 has been updated with photo of the completed unit. with v939 instead of v929 fc, udi props instead of walkera, and aliexpress motors its STILL UNDER $18. even though its within budget it probably deserves its own thread because its not really a quad. theres some videos of maiden flights in my camera. if anybody want to see it fly let me know.

Old Oct 05, 2012, 10:46 AM
I like things :3
TromsÝ
Joined May 2007
190 Posts
i been following this thread for a week or so since i got my UDI ufo thru the post.
nice little thing, not had much opportunity to test it out tho. lack of indoor space and autumn weather creeping in (which will fast be winter in this neck of the woods)
some of these mods, builds and conversions look good.

Do any of these 9xx boards work with the UDI controller? would be nice to build my own micro from parts using this board and finding the motors and such, can get nine eagles copter motors (like solo pro Vx) locally, also got one or 2 other 4-6 channel sets that i hope can be compatible.
bongmaster is offline Find More Posts by bongmaster
Old Oct 05, 2012, 10:50 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1,594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongmaster View Post
Do any of these 9xx boards work with the UDI controller?
Sorry, no chance. You need FlySky (the protocol) compatible systems.
Try getting one of the TXs mentioned in the first post.
mystman is online now Find More Posts by mystman
Old Oct 05, 2012, 11:08 AM
I like things :3
TromsÝ
Joined May 2007
190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystman View Post
Sorry, no chance. You need FlySky (the protocol) compatible systems.
Try getting one of the TXs mentioned in the first post.
I do have a flysky set (FS-CT6A or t6 i believe, the cheap one with no screen, will check) if that set works then awesome
bongmaster is offline Find More Posts by bongmaster
Old Oct 05, 2012, 11:39 AM
We can rebuild it!
United Kingdom, Wales, Swffryd
Joined Apr 2010
3,684 Posts
Hey Dave, having trouble getting my new bank card onto PayPal, I'll key you know as soon as its sorted.
djdavies83 is online now Find More Posts by djdavies83
Old Oct 05, 2012, 11:40 AM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
btw dj, did you get the fc board problems sorted? im dying to see how that foam frame works out.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 11:48 AM
We can rebuild it!
United Kingdom, Wales, Swffryd
Joined Apr 2010
3,684 Posts
I did and didn't, I could throw a few clips together, unfortunately the day I took it to the sports hall in college I decided to have a quick go before leaving the house....

It did a flip about 2inch of the ground and ripped off an arm, te week point was the second peg/slot, I glued and pinne it and took it to college anyway.

Got into the hall and one motor was going slow and could not figure out why, end game was two motors with the ends pushed out.

College is teaching us to use draftsight 2D CAD program, I have a quick test in the house earlier and it print mm accurate on paper, Os I'll be going back into the design and building again soon with two new motors.
djdavies83 is online now Find More Posts by djdavies83
Old Oct 05, 2012, 11:55 AM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
ahhh... should have heeded that warning about supporting the end when pushing on props. sometimes in a crash too so its a good idea to have a "stop" for the bottom of the motor. if i can find that post ill move it to post #1 because thats how i killed 2 motors too.

so that was why your board was quitting on partial throttle? or was that a fluke?
Old Oct 05, 2012, 01:32 PM
The Netherlands, GE, Doetinchem
Joined Apr 2012
79 Posts
Well, my parts are on their way too, I am planning on building a quad, and an octo(in octo configuration instead of a quad with double motors on each arm)
I also CNCed a foam protection frame, hope it will work and it wont be too heave(scale on its way too).
KoekieMonster is offline Find More Posts by KoekieMonster
Old Oct 06, 2012, 06:04 AM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
kookie, that is the coolest thing ive seen in quite a while. im glad to see somebody else is interested in the foam frame approach besides dj and me. im specially curious to see how they weather a crash. so lets get one of these flying! ill be forced to build one myself if at least one of you guys dont get one running before, lets say... JUNE! lol!

btw ive started a thread in the micro quad forum on the brushless conversion chip:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...9#post22927100

i did that because many of the guys who got one from me were working with stock v929 and v939 quads and didnt want to clutter up this thread with too much rtf stuff. imo it would still be ok to discuss upgrading the diy version here because this is where it all got started. so what if it cant be done for $18? it ends up costing less than any other brushless quad afaik and definitely a really cool idea.

notice ive improved the diagram from earlier in this thread with more detailed wiring and posted it in the new thread. i dont think theres any errors or anything missing but speak up if you see a bug. i will send out the 2nd batch of chips this afternoon so let me know if you dont receive them in a reasonable period of time. and let me know if you have any problems or questions. i should be back on line after the weekend.

Last edited by dave1993; Oct 09, 2012 at 04:49 PM. Reason: diagram
Old Oct 06, 2012, 01:05 PM
wrong descision, wrong time
United States, WA, Maple Valley
Joined Sep 2010
513 Posts
so, I finally got my motors, but all 4 of them have the black and white wires (could have sworn I ordered a set of each kind). To reverse two of the motors, should I just reverse the polarity of the wires, or will that not work? I have a feeling it will work, I just can't remember.

-Heath
dumb_thumbs is offline Find More Posts by dumb_thumbs