Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 28, 2012, 08:41 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1,594 Posts
Yeah, got my 7mm replacement motors with 1mm shaft!!!
Now my LB and UDI props fit!
mystman is online now Find More Posts by mystman
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2012, 08:45 AM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Dec 2009
474 Posts
dave, where u fly in NYC? there is almost no open space in 5 boroughs. is this the reason u get into these little quarts? but thanks for this cheap little toy. will take me some time to read through this thread. i do mostly planes and this will be my first quart/ heli. ( i have no idea how things going to setup here) hope this little quart will survive crashes after crashes
bigtruck169 is online now Find More Posts by bigtruck169
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 28, 2012, 08:54 AM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
5,914 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jirvin_4505 View Post
Mentioned in post #134

http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=390517

The 3a controller has been done. I haven't found reference to this miniature 0.3gm one but at moment only on mobile so haven't too much access to search tools

Cheers Jeff
thanks jeff. this just gets better and better. i didnt see any useful infor mation in post #134 but that thread is just packed with useful info on these silabs controllers. i am already set up with one of those dongle to reflash the f330 so this is looking good. thanks again.
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Old Sep 28, 2012, 09:44 AM
United States, MS, Tupelo
Joined Jun 2012
356 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1993 View Post
first of all i think you have to stop believing these chinese ad specs. iirc the best you can do reliably with that combo is 24g. and mine got REALLY hot even at that point. i havent actually tried these props on those yet so not sure but im guessing 15-20 grams? its really not how much thrust you can get but how much you can get reliably for reasonable duration w/o cooking the windings. since i am going to dig out the bl motors and escs to check that converter i might as will hook up the test stand too. ill try to anyway.
Then why go brushless? I thought you said the S107 motor and walkera prop gave 17g thrust. If we're not going to see an increase in lift, why do it?
installerblizz is offline Find More Posts by installerblizz
Old Sep 28, 2012, 09:57 AM
Joined Apr 2012
3,467 Posts
Exactly.Why go brushles for this micro quads?Waste of time.The core is the controller,if you don't change it what's the point.There is a lot of fun just as it is now.
midelic is online now Find More Posts by midelic
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DIY Multiprotocol TX Module
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:04 AM
Joined Jun 2012
356 Posts
Well if brushless meant the ability to do aerobatics, then there would be a point. I asked earlier if we could do something (EDIT - with GOBS of power) like the brushless MQX with the V929/V939 boards but no-one has responded.
Last edited by installerblizz; Sep 28, 2012 at 10:46 AM.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:30 AM
working to the closest cm
brisbane australia
Joined Nov 2002
2,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by installerblizz View Post
Then why go brushless? I thought you said the S107 motor and walkera prop gave 17g thrust. If we're not going to see an increase in lift, why do it?
Probably a little ot but here are some thrust figures for brushless into a gearbox combo. Haven't found any direct drive figures yet ....

-------------------------
To assess the ESC "HK030"(0,3 gr.) i can give comparative data on the thrust of three different ESC with my gearbox "HP03TR10(7,3:1)B"(3,4g.) and the propeller "MCF6030C" at a voltage 3.5 V:

"YGE-4S" (0,7 g.) - Thrust 48 g., Current - 1.52 A;
"MBC3" (0,2 g.) - Thrust 44 g., Current - 1.37 A;
"HK030" (0,3 g.) - Thrust 37 g., Current - 1.11 A.

I would estimate HK030 roughly corresponds to the parameters ESC XP-3A.
-------------------------------------
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1481447

Cheers. Jeff
jirvin_4505 is online now Find More Posts by jirvin_4505
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:56 AM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
5,914 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by installerblizz View Post
my main reason for bldc is virtually unlimited life. ive had 7 brushed motors fail in the last 6 weeks and if they were brushless i suspect that number would be zero. some estimates put brushless mtbf at 1000x that of brushed.

note that the 20 grams thrust was just a wild guess. ive never tested them with these new props. with bigger prop like 2510 or 2508 maybe you will actually get the advertised 36 grams which would be double that of the pager. or even more. i am very conservative with my motors no matter what type. for me if i cant hold it in my hand for 30 sec then i prop down. most others use "starts smoking" as a reference (no exaggeration).
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:58 AM
Joined Jun 2012
356 Posts
Quote:
for me if i cant hold it in my hand for 30 sec then i prop down. most others use "starts smoking" as a reference.
LOL nice. Dave, can you give your opinion on my other question - with a big 2s BL setup, do you think we could pull loops with the V929/V939 boards?
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:10 AM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
5,914 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtruck169 View Post
dave, where u fly in NYC? there is almost no open space in 5 boroughs. is this the reason u get into these little quarts? but thanks for this cheap little toy.
im glad you find my project interesting. yes, one of the main reasons i got into these is because you dont need to be an ama member or live in montana. for example most of my testing is done in the nearby frat house driveway which i mentioned is only 7 feet wide. and i am a great fan of "cheap little toys" too.

btw i spend most of my time in either upsate ny or central ma. speaking of locations ill respond again to your end of page post in case you missed it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtruck169 View Post
this little cheap radio is for one model only? how long i have to wait for shipping for all these chinese webpages?one month?
actually the v911 radio works with dozens of different plane, boat and, copter models. flysky is probably second only to spektrum in terms of popularity and compatibility.

if you live in the usa it takes about 3 days. otherwise idk.

its hard to answer your question though with no information on your location. a mystery why people dont want to fill in at least country if not city and state. predator drone attack on your house is not likely with such general information.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:27 AM
Joined Apr 2012
3,467 Posts
Quote:
my main reason for bldc is virtually unlimited life. ive had 7 brushed motors fail in the last 6 weeks and if they were brushless i suspect that number would be zero. some estimates put brushless mtbf at 1000x that of brushed.
Actually I had bad experience with small brushless.I bought some 5g HK and 2 of them had broken internal wires after using few hours.That so much for unlimited life span.Maybe brushless of very good quality but those are expensive ...around 20 dollars each. I'll not trust those 2 g HK...the windings quality very bad.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DIY Multiprotocol TX Module
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:32 AM
Joined Jun 2012
356 Posts
I found some CW and CCW 4" props!!

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ting_6pc_.html

Perfect match for this motor -

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...er_2000kv.html

Would have to run 2s, but should have tons more lift, no?

Edit - just saw midelic's post saying these motors suck. -.-

Edit - from a review on HK of the 5g -
"After reading other reviews here I did a series of checks. First, I checked on the windings. I removed the c-clip retainer from the shaft, pulled off the bell assembly and inspected the stator. It did have a few winds that were a little close to the outer limit of the stator but a quick push with my fingernail in between all stator gaps got the windings all snug again. None were hanging out. I just like them snug. The wiring is indeed fragile. Use heatshrink on the terminal end around all the leads to give added strength. I broke one lead at the solder joint just from handling. Also, watch the motor end. It would be easy for the bell to rub against the heatshrink of the lead out wires if it were located incorrectly.

The performance of this motor is great! Smooth startup and running thanks to the 12 pole/16 magnet setup. It is wound ABCABCABCABC. I tested this motor underloaded on 2, 3 and 4 cells (300mah - 20C) and it ran faultlessly on all of them. I also ran it on a 3 cell 400mah 20C underloaded with the same result. Smooth throughout the throttle range. For the price this is a fabulous little motor and you are getting a bargain! My initial order was for two and after testing I now know I can safely order more for my Micro models. :-)

Cheers,
Nitro."

So maybe they just need some inspection before use.
Last edited by installerblizz; Sep 28, 2012 at 11:44 AM.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:45 AM
Joined Apr 2012
3,467 Posts
Now you know ...........windings suck big time.Thats why all the time is in stock ...no back order anymore.Btw I have the same propellers .."perfect" for this motor...except the motor.I had broken wires inside ..so I cannot do anything...maybe rewinding but is a pain in the ass ...under microscope...bulls***.I don't believe any review on HK ..I've seen the same reviews copy -paste on many other motors.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by midelic; Sep 28, 2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:59 AM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
5,914 Posts
dont listen to midelic, he dont know how to take care of brushless motors. these are not like toy soldiers. they are very delicate. the 2 gram and 5 gram are both great little motors for the price but like many chinese products they will self destruct if you dont take precautions. specially the tiny ones with single strand magnet leads. after breaking wires on several $20 hk micro motors and a couple $40 ap02 i realised you have to provide strain relief if you want them to last.

put a dab of 5 minute epoxy right where the wires come out of the stator. even then they can break off in a crash or if "played with" too much. but at least it will be repairable. unlike if the wire breaks off right at the winding which means rewind at best or trash can if you cant handle that kind of job. another trick i learned was to replace the magnet wire (that stuff SUCKS!) with #36 insulated STRANDED leads. its expensive but a few feet goes a long way. some epoxy where they are soldered onto the winding is also required.

any way these things are delicate and require the "magic touch" if you want them to survive. even the pagers can be a problem. epoxy on the end as shown in post #1 step 8 will keep the leads from breaking off at the case which is NOT repairable. another thing to be careful is support the back of the motor when pushing props on. otherwise the end will pop off which is also usually fatal. unlike brushless even with care pagers have a finite brush life. however both types will last longer with some prophylaxis.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 12:16 PM
Joined Apr 2012
3,467 Posts
Ha,Ha,Ha ....hhhh.....it is not a bomb .....you ar funny......Anyway next time I will try mystman inrunners.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by midelic; Sep 28, 2012 at 12:21 PM.