HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 26, 2012, 02:32 PM
Joined Jun 2012
2,808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1993 View Post
l
thanks for the input brandigan. and the "inverted compliment". i have a theory that it just might fly.
You truncated my quote. I said it might not fly well. Of course it will fly; it's not like this is rocket science.
Brandigan is offline Find More Posts by Brandigan
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 26, 2012, 02:36 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
shirley you know i did that on purpose to make you look bad. otherwise the entertainment value of these interactions fails miserably.

anyway for those who might not be surfing the other thread, i just transfered fc and motors from 2 other dquads to the octo and it did "fly well". as i mentioned there will be videos forthcoming. MUCH better (i hope) than those pathetic test runs in the 2nd gallery attachment.
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Old Sep 26, 2012, 02:39 PM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,706 Posts
Dave,
Yes that will work fine. It has been done successfully with other quad-only flight controllers over the last ten years. Still not sure if there will be enough yaw authority without motor tilt with those 2in props. Test and report please!
Thanks for the video too
Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index
Quote:
what with brandigan and jesolins talking about double motors and skitchens INCESSANT WHINING for more lift i came up with the octo frame shown below. no "dirty air" here. we will see how it performs when i get around to populating those holders and hub.

also a couple people asked to see video of the 60cm dquad. i really dont have anything atm except a few short test flights where i was checking out different motors and props. basically wanted to see if it would lift and be capable of some hint of control. the only place i have nearby is the 7 foot wide frat house driveway so no fancy flips or funnels. wind was a problem too. also because these are only test runs i didnt bother to change the camera from 10" macro used for the closeups so things are a little fuzzy (if not warm and...). heres one with aliexpress motors and udi props. by far the lowest cost setup.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post22839626

you can see that at least it has enough power to lift and dont go shooting off in random directions never to be seen again. when i get a chance ill replace it with a real video.
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Old Sep 26, 2012, 02:44 PM
United States, FL, Bradenton
Joined Jun 2012
424 Posts
Here are a few shots of my version of this project. I notched two full length skewers and wrapped them in thread then soaked the joint in gorilla glue. Same thing for the motors. To me the 12" lacked control authority, so I cut it down to about 6". I'm using a V929 board, S107 motors (all black and white wires) and Ladybird props. I'm only getting about 6 minutes out of my Turnigy NanoTech 300's. Is that normal?
installerblizz is online now Find More Posts by installerblizz
Old Sep 26, 2012, 02:48 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesolins View Post
Still not sure if there will be enough yaw authority without motor tilt with those 2in props.
jim, im curious. are you saying the stock wlt quads have a problem there too? i understand why the ultra long arms of the "papakwad" might do that but is there anything about the regular size and the little one that would affect yaw? they are the same size as the v929/v939 respectively so shouldnt they behave similar in that respect?
Old Sep 26, 2012, 02:53 PM
Joined Feb 2007
14,706 Posts
Dave,
No actutally I thought your octo above was a larger 60cm one? That is the size to which I was referencing. The stock WLT quads all have excellent yaw (on high rates settings) and heading lock. What is the diameter size of the one pictured in your post? 12inches/30cm?
Cheers,
Jim

Quote:
jim, im curious. are you saying the stock wlt quads have a problem there too? i understand why the ultra long arms of the "papakwad" might do that but is there anything about the regular size and the little one that would affect yaw? they are the same size as the v929/v939 respectively so shouldnt they behave similar in that respect?
Last edited by jesolins; Sep 26, 2012 at 03:02 PM.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 02:56 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by installerblizz View Post
Here are a few shots of my version of this project. I notched two full length skewers and wrapped them in thread then soaked the joint in gorilla glue. Same thing for the motors. To me the 12" lacked control authority, so I cut it down to about 6". I'm using a V929 board, S107 motors (all black and white wires) and Ladybird props. I'm only getting about 6 minutes out of my Turnigy NanoTech 300's. Is that normal?
i probably get about 1 more minute compared to my buddys v939 using same lipos so idk. you do get more time from a 600mah but the motors run a little warmer.

but no matter what that is too cool for school. at first i thought somebody was reposting my pics. but i guess its not true when they say "turn 'em upside down they all look the same". lol! and a little pussy ALWAYS helps. whats his/her name?

btw wheres the videos? "no vid it didnt happen!" (oops... i shouldnt say that until i get some good ones up).
Old Sep 26, 2012, 03:01 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
Quote:
What is the diameter size of the one pictured in your post?
its the 30cm one. guess hard to tell w/o props and pcb. the only thing i noticed is tendency to lose altitude when rotating. worse with smaller batteries. but my stock wlt quads do that too. not sure if anybody else has this.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 03:05 PM
Joined Feb 2007
14,706 Posts
Dave,
Yes most multicopters will require a bit of extra throttle in sustained yaw piros to maintain altitude.

From seeing your videos you should not be having any yaw issues with your 30cm 4-arm octo. I was surprised to see the 60cm able to hold heading and to see the rapid rate of yaw on your 30cm when you did the piros. That is confusing to me as that yaw performance does not scale up when larger heavier multicopters with 10in props get beyond 70cm diameter. Probably some physics with total weight and dynamic centrifugal force losses in action?
Cheers,
Jim
Quote:
its the 30cm one. guess hard to tell w/o props and pcb. the only thing i noticed is tendency to lose altitude when rotating. worse with smaller batteries. but my stock wlt quads do that too. not sure if anybody else has this.
Last edited by jesolins; Sep 26, 2012 at 03:11 PM.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 04:20 PM
Joined Jun 2012
2,808 Posts
Quote:
Dave,
Yes most multicopters will require a bit of extra throttle in sustained yaw piros to maintain altitude.
Really? Could you define most? None of U816, MJX X100, MQX or XA X450 do in my experience. I say that because two of the Txs for them have 'notchy' throttles which I prefer for just that reason (Futaba and Spectrum): no chance of throttle varying when I do pirouettes.

Or then again, IDK, maybe define sustained?
Old Sep 26, 2012, 04:32 PM
Joined Jun 2012
2,808 Posts
Quote:
shirley you know i did that on purpose to make you look bad. otherwise the entertainment value of these interactions fails miserably.
Wow! "Don't call me Shirley!?" That joke must be older than you.

"We have clearance, Clarence. Roger, Roger. What's our vector, Victor?"

Anyway: Videos? Animated GIFs? Flipbooks of photos?
Last edited by Brandigan; Sep 26, 2012 at 04:43 PM.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 04:54 PM
Joined Jun 2012
424 Posts
Quote:
yes, jesolins mentioned brushless early on but i thought it best to get the brushed version up and running first. now im thinking a lowest cost brushless version would be a great next step. and if it could be an itty bitty palm size quad then so much the better.

the one in your picture and links looks really cool. ive been looking at some lower cost components:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._ESC_3_5A.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...er_7700kv.html

the 2g motor has 1mm shaft which means udi props will fit and at 80 cents for a SET OF 4 probably hard to beat. if the $8 v939 4-in-1 works out that will be great. so it looks like it might be possible to build a brushless nano quad for around $40 total. i dont think thats ever been done before so might be worthy of a new thread. only possible now because of these ultra low cost wlt controllers.

one more thing that is needed to make the wlt rx work with brushless is a brush-to-bldc adapter. jesolins mentioned TheSteve one but to keep cost down ive designed a 4 channel pwm adapter based on atmel tiny24 that only costs 50 cents. this micro quad stuff is very exciting and i have many projects planned.
Is this an IC that has to be programmed?
Old Sep 26, 2012, 04:57 PM
...muy bien...
Germany, BW, Pforzheim
Joined Jul 2012
186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj Quest View Post
How to: Bind v929 with turnigy 9x
I remember of having read it somewhere, but can't seem to find it now.
Bind 9x to wltoys:
Turn on Rx (power up your model). Be real quick now.
Press and hold the bind button on the back of the FlySky Tx module while turning on your radio.
Wait.
Turn off radio
and on again.

Motors should spin for a second or so.

Binding v929 will remain. With v939 (at least I do) have to repeat the bind procedure every time.

I guess I swap out the PCB only for this annoyance.
rcgchris is offline Find More Posts by rcgchris
Old Sep 26, 2012, 04:58 PM
Joined Jun 2012
424 Posts
Quote:
i probably get about 1 more minute compared to my buddys v939 using same lipos so idk. you do get more time from a 600mah but the motors run a little warmer.

but no matter what that is too cool for school. at first i thought somebody was reposting my pics. but i guess its not true when they say "turn 'em upside down they all look the same". lol! and a little pussy ALWAYS helps. whats his/her name?

btw wheres the videos? "no vid it didnt happen!" (oops... i shouldnt say that until i get some good ones up).
Her name is Sophie. She's not thrilled about the quad when it's flying, but as you can see she couldn't care less when it's off. I'll try to get a vid up tonight.

EDIT - the specs for the V939 claim a 10 minute flight time with a 300 mah batt. Why are we getting so much less with the DIY?
Last edited by installerblizz; Sep 26, 2012 at 05:06 PM.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 05:10 PM
Joined Feb 2007
14,706 Posts
B.
Currently the multicopters I fly, or have flown that you do not need to add throttle to when doing pirouette yaw turns of say five or more are the ones that use a barometer for altitude hold, or have it turned off. All the others even including my non-baro Astec X-BL requires adding a bit of throttle in sustained turns of 5 or more. All of the micros I have flown todate require a bit of throttle in sustained yaw turns. The MJX X100 and Mini Pet V997 Tx's did have the notchy throttles, so I modified the spring with some heat shrink. I prefer the smooth throttle for helis and multicopters for better throttle control.
Cheers,
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandigan View Post
Really? Could you define most? None of U816, MJX X100, MQX or XA X450 do in my experience. I say that because two of the Txs for them have 'notchy' throttles which I prefer for just that reason (Futaba and Spectrum): no chance of throttle varying when I do pirouettes.

Or then again, IDK, maybe define sustained?
Last edited by jesolins; Oct 04, 2012 at 01:46 PM.