SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 04, 2012, 06:15 AM
Australia, WA, Collie
Joined Aug 2012
243 Posts
I'm almost done setting up my linkages, but then I broke a clevis....grrrrr. I have spares of 'standard' sized ones, but the Walrus uses a alot smaller rod. I measured the thread O.D. to be 1.4mm ( 0.055" ) I've looked for spares on Hobby kings site but I didn't see anything that I like.( I found one sort but they didn't have pins and weren't in Australia anyway...It would take 2 weeks to get here. I guess I'm going to have to try and solder a brass clevis onto the rod. Not too keen but I don't see another option at the moment...

Steve
sterob is offline Find More Posts by sterob
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2012, 01:04 PM
Limited flyer
Joined Dec 2011
412 Posts
Any body try to stuff a 3000 mah into theirs yet,have one,want to use it,got pleny of 22s, just asking.
Had resolder two of the bullits back on to the motor leads{i guess they don't like to move around that much}.
All surfaces flush,just have to bolt on the wings,cg it out and all ready.
Any body no throttle setting for take off,and also what kind of chuck/lob/toss am i looking at,firm,just let it go, or chuck it like a spear......?
Limited flyer is offline Find More Posts by Limited flyer
Old Sep 05, 2012, 01:26 PM
buy a lot, fly a little!
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Central And Western District
Joined May 2001
5,753 Posts
The biggest pack I could fit in was a 2700 turnigy 3s, its tight and you need to push the servo's horns backwards to fit it in, but it does fit.

Take a look at the video, you can see how I launch it there (1:15 in). Basically full throttle, wings as level as you can make them and throw slightly nose up.

Enjoy the flight.

S.
stuart warne is offline Find More Posts by stuart warne
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Savex Spitfire Progress
Old Sep 05, 2012, 09:30 PM
Limited flyer
Joined Dec 2011
412 Posts
Thank you stuart.
Old Sep 06, 2012, 01:18 PM
Joined Apr 2012
215 Posts
Batteries

My Walrus arrived in 11 days. Great!! I ordered batteries the same day and still not here! Can't fly without a Battery. Now I know what they mean by a Slow Boat from China!!
Buck Shot is offline Find More Posts by Buck Shot
Old Sep 06, 2012, 01:31 PM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
Lipos have new International shipping regulations.
That don't come the same way as normal shipments.
They are routed through Switzerland.
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
Old Sep 06, 2012, 01:58 PM
Joined Nov 2011
3 Posts
HobbyKing has some gap to fill in marketing:
Some posts (on different topics) announces products too early in advance in order to keep the customer, but the products aren't marketed on expected timelines.
Here, there is a new product launch, the lil' stock is getting sold in few days, and the customer is again unable to purchase.

Based on their experience of the customer needs with such similar planes (PNF, foam, easy), they could have done better assessment of the estimated sales at launch.
synopsis is offline Find More Posts by synopsis
Last edited by synopsis; Sep 06, 2012 at 02:03 PM.
Old Sep 06, 2012, 08:30 PM
buy a lot, fly a little!
Joined May 2001
5,753 Posts
I'd tend to agree, it would be great if we could stock more initially, but we do bring a FAR greater amount of products to the market say compared to Horizon, so for us its more of an unknown initially. Now that we've seen how well the Walrus has sold, we are producing and investing more for the next order.

Now back to the model. To address any concerns about the ESC's over heating and the comments made here, all new Walrus's will now use an improved speed controller. So thank you to those guy's that have brought it to my attention. please contact me if your our ESC continues to be an issue.

Buck Shot, where the lipo's in the same order?

S.
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 06, 2012, 09:09 PM
Joined Apr 2012
215 Posts
Batteries

Stuart Two seperate orders on the same day. This is no big thing when you deal with a company overseas. Not Bitching just having Fun!! Buck
Buck Shot is offline Find More Posts by Buck Shot
Old Sep 06, 2012, 10:25 PM
buy a lot, fly a little!
Joined May 2001
5,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Shot View Post
Stuart Two seperate orders on the same day. This is no big thing when you deal with a company overseas. Not Bitching just having Fun!! Buck
Oh no I knew that, just checking that all is well that's all
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 06, 2012, 10:58 PM
Limited flyer
Joined Dec 2011
412 Posts
Hey stuart, what size of bat do you fly yours with, i am trying to cg it out now but my 2200 mah want's to be way past the servos inside.
Are you sure it's 71mmfrom leading edge.....?
Old Sep 06, 2012, 11:00 PM
United States, ND, Fargo
Joined Aug 2007
180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterob View Post
I'm almost done setting up my linkages, but then I broke a clevis....grrrrr. I have spares of 'standard' sized ones, but the Walrus uses a alot smaller rod. I measured the thread O.D. to be 1.4mm ( 0.055" ) I've looked for spares on Hobby kings site but I didn't see anything that I like.( I found one sort but they didn't have pins and weren't in Australia anyway...It would take 2 weeks to get here. I guess I'm going to have to try and solder a brass clevis onto the rod. Not too keen but I don't see another option at the moment...

Steve
Hey, I had the same problem with finding the right size clevis for the threaded rod and what I did was fill the open end of the larger clevis with epoxy, drill out a hole just smaller than the rod (I used a pin vise) and thread the rod in. Worked like a charm and haven't seen any sign of the threads pulling out (good epoxy is strong stuff!). You could probably get away with just twisting the rod in without drilling but I dunno.
johnwohl is offline Find More Posts by johnwohl
Old Sep 06, 2012, 11:02 PM
United States, ND, Fargo
Joined Aug 2007
180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart warne View Post
I'd tend to agree, it would be great if we could stock more initially, but we do bring a FAR greater amount of products to the market say compared to Horizon, so for us its more of an unknown initially. Now that we've seen how well the Walrus has sold, we are producing and investing more for the next order.
Any plans to stock this one in the US warehouse? Do it and I'm sold!
johnwohl is offline Find More Posts by johnwohl
Old Sep 06, 2012, 11:26 PM
Limited flyer
Joined Dec 2011
412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwohl View Post
Hey, I had the same problem with finding the right size clevis for the threaded rod and what I did was fill the open end of the larger clevis with epoxy, drill out a hole just smaller than the rod (I used a pin vise) and thread the rod in. Worked like a charm and haven't seen any sign of the threads pulling out (good epoxy is strong stuff!). You could probably get away with just twisting the rod in without drilling but I dunno.
Out of curiiousity i put a old clevis from a pz extra 300 onto the threaded: rod on my walrus, so they work.
Old Sep 06, 2012, 11:36 PM
buy a lot, fly a little!
Joined May 2001
5,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limited flyer View Post
Hey stuart, what size of bat do you fly yours with, i am trying to cg it out now but my 2200 mah want's to be way past the servos inside.
Are you sure it's 71mmfrom leading edge.....?
Hmm, thinking about it that does seem a little too aft I'll confirm and amend the instruction when I have another sample in my hand. But the certain visual way to be sure is to have it balance just forward of the spar where the aileron servo lead runs in the wing. That was the sweet spot for me using this battery below:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Lipo_Pack.html

It is a tight fit with this bigger pack, but I chose it over the 2200 3s for added duration and penetration in the wind (with the increase in weight) .

S.
Site Sponsor