Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 23, 2012, 12:52 PM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
12 on backorder now...

MINE IS HERE!
Pictures taken and working on those now.

Only 1 immediate problem I see. Maybe 2...
The spinner is not mounted squarely and has a horrible unflyable wobble.
And cooling looks minimal at best. No entry holes and 1 small outlet.

No damage and the build should go smoothly.
Hoping I don't run out of time to get the pics up this afternoon.
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 23, 2012, 01:12 PM
Joined Apr 2012
193 Posts
GREAT!!! Can't wait to see the pictures!! Buck
Buck Shot is offline Find More Posts by Buck Shot
Old Aug 23, 2012, 01:25 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
The spinner fastener is probably over torqued which is typical with these cheapo PNF/RTF, so it distorts the spinner /backplate, just a matter of bcking off the screw, then recenter the spinner and then re-torque but use only enough torque to keep it on without spinning off, even a drop of lock-tite would be good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFlyRCs View Post
12 on backorder now...

MINE IS HERE!
Pictures taken and working on those now.

Only 1 immediate problem I see. Maybe 2...
The spinner is not mounted squarely and has a horrible unflyable wobble.
And cooling looks minimal at best. No entry holes and 1 small outlet.

No damage and the build should go smoothly.
Hoping I don't run out of time to get the pics up this afternoon.
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Aug 23, 2012, 01:42 PM
ICrashRCs
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
Walrus Unboxing

There is no main spar channel cover in the wings. Spars are just there, I assume glued in. The spar ends about where the checkerboard decal starts. Hope they offer replacement wings. Aileron wires are just run along slits, and need attention.
Uses 2 rather long metal screws to hold the wings in. There is zero access to the wing mounting nuts. They consist of wood, plastic and a metal nut. You mess up one of them and you split the fuse.
The heat shrink was cut to expose the ESC fins. (sign of cooling issues?)
ESC is a no name all black unit.
The cutting and sealing of decals over the hinge lines is nothing short of pathetic.
Will take a little effort to polish that up.
Rods are coarse threaded for the clevises. You'll probably want some fuel tube on hand to help hold the clevises together.
The control horns are made for 4 screws each. They are fine threaded to screw into the threaded horn bases. 6 servos x 4 = 24 They give you 12 screws. So we're going with 2 for each horn it appears.
Canopy magnets have tape over them which I assume needs to come off and will.
The motor mount is simply a 1inch thick circle of wood. 4 screws go through that into the motor. I'm now having questions on how to upgrade power.
Manual is loaded with color pics.

Last edited by IFlyRCs; Aug 23, 2012 at 02:54 PM.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 03:00 PM
Fly, crash, glue. Repeat.
Belgium, Walloon Region, Plombières
Joined Jul 2011
930 Posts
Thank you for posting the pictures - much appreciated!

Good bits and bad bits it seems. On the plus side I totally dig the wing mounting. Looks rock solid. Would like to adapt that to my AXN somehow.

On the minus side the sealed-up fuse is going to give that ESC a hard time. That thing is going to need airflow. And that prop/spinner assy. doesn't look too promising either. Probably need to put on a decent Cam folder or something, if we only knew the size...

Are there any provisions for mounting the battery, velcro or anything?

Again, thanks! - Mark
4x4rc is offline Find More Posts by 4x4rc
Old Aug 23, 2012, 03:16 PM
ICrashRCs
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
I have some fear of the wing mounting. If they take a shot and knock the wing nut plates loose, it will be a mess to get fixed.

You get 3 small squares of velcro. That's another minor concern. The battery can fly way back if it comes loose. There are no compartments or foam walls at all.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 03:47 PM
ICrashRCs
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
I can't get the prop assembly off the motor shaft.
Took the little phillips out of the front.
Took a big nut off the prop adapter.
And, nothing... won't pull, turn or swedge off.
Took the motor out and still can't get the prop off.
I'm stumped.
May have to put a motor in it just to fix the wobbly spinner.
I may just cut the spinner backing plate off and run it with no spinner.
The prop and adapter run true.
No spinner may let a little air into this thing too.
The motor mount has 4 small cooling slots in it and one is filled with ESC wires.
There is virtually no airflow with the spinner on it.

There's an allen head wrench in the parts bag that I so far see no use for?

On a plus note, it looks like a 2836 motor will fit perfectly if the shaft is reversed.
The motor is unmarked just like the ESC.

I'm out of time for today.
If anyone has ideas let me know please.
Last edited by IFlyRCs; Aug 23, 2012 at 03:55 PM.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 03:48 PM
Fly, crash, glue. Repeat.
Belgium, Walloon Region, Plombières
Joined Jul 2011
930 Posts
If the glue joint is good chances are you'll see foam fly before the plates get dislodged.

Squares of velcro are NOT good enough to keep the battery in place. I'd be real afraid it'd get jammed between the servos, immobilizing them.

I'd probably make a battery tray out of thin ply, put the velcro pieces on it, cut a crosswise channel in the foam underneath, epoxy the tray in, and thread a velcro strap through the channel to loop over the battery. That should be rock solid.
4x4rc is offline Find More Posts by 4x4rc
Old Aug 23, 2012, 04:12 PM
Joined Apr 2012
193 Posts
FiX!!

None of those problems except air flow to the ECS consern me. Going to have to get some air in there . I didn't expect a lot for $67. I will be happy to get mine and work on it a little. It looks like it flies nice!! Don't worry about a few flaws. We can fix them together. Buck
Old Aug 24, 2012, 11:04 AM
Joined Apr 2012
193 Posts
Shipped!!

I ordered it on the 21st and it was shipped today!! Hope it arrives in good shape! Will let you know. Buck
Old Aug 24, 2012, 11:58 AM
Limited flyer
Joined Dec 2011
412 Posts
I also got one of thease, should be here on monday.
I will be interested how you others will come up with the venting issue, me i am thinking of the small plastic baby spoon route, or some loover type of thing. As for the belly, i plan to use a strip cut from a 4 litre milk jug..
My concern is also on the not so perfect landings, and the wing retention system.
Limited flyer is offline Find More Posts by Limited flyer
Old Aug 28, 2012, 08:28 PM
OD123ify Snake
United States, FL, Pensacola
Joined Mar 2012
95 Posts
Mine is backordered
Morodie is offline Find More Posts by Morodie
Old Aug 28, 2012, 08:47 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Walrus received today which is exactly 2 weeks from ordering, not too bad, pleased to say that my specimen looks to be complete and without defects so far. My spinner was properly attached and properly torqued so no deformation. There was however some slight shipping damage to the tail end of the fuselage where the last inch was broken, looks like someone tried to dribble the double boxed package on one end. but it's an easy fix with a little standard CA. Otherwise it looks pretty good.
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Aug 28, 2012, 10:37 PM
buy a lot, fly a little!
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Central And Western District
Joined May 2001
5,649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morodie View Post
Mine is backordered
I know your pain, mine is on back order too. the original that you see in the video is no more. I was teaching one of guy's from the office girl friend to fly and it struck the power lines you also see in the video. Ended up stuck in the tops of the tree's for the monkeys to play with! When my wife gets here, it will be the model she learns to fly on.

Doubletap, looking forward to seeing what you think of her in the air. hopefully you'll enjoy her too and its good to see that the spinner issue mentioned above has not reappeared.

IFlyRCs, if you contact C/S they can see about sending you a replacement prop/spinner unit if need be.

Also note, there is indeed little room for 'air in' other than from around the spinner rear. However after a 18min flight of mixed throttle the Lipo and motor are only warm to touch, the ESC a little more so. That said it would be no bad thing to make an opening to increasing cooling. You'll need to add double that for air out too don't forget.

S.
stuart warne is online now Find More Posts by stuart warne
Site Sponsor
Last edited by stuart warne; Aug 28, 2012 at 10:44 PM.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 02:49 AM
ICrashRCs
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
Since I can't get it off, I'm going to trim down my deformed spinner backing plate and leave the spinner off for airflow.
I plan to upgrade the power system in the near future which may eliminate the folding prop.

My black plastic canopy cover is deformed in one spot. Looks like it had been held up beside a light bulb for a while.

Someone else will probably beat me to a flight review. The hurricane winds won't leave here until next week.