HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 17, 2013, 05:24 AM
Italy, Toscana, Orbetello
Joined Mar 2012
337 Posts
Thanks to Stuart and Aussie!
finally me too I've been able to pull out the cables. Off course I was trying one per time, but the motor support was not exactly in the center, it was a bit low and the bottom hole was too little even for a single connector per time.
I've cutted a little of epo foam close to the support's hole and finally I pulled out the wires.
The prop adapter's grub screw was totally impossible to unscrew (is it glued by farm?) so I've cutted the aluminium adapter with a Dremel and I've removed it.
Now I've bought a colet type adapter for 3 mm shaft and a hub and spinner for it.
I hope they'll work...
P.S. Here there's the Kite surf University because its windy 360 days per year; I've broken my plane on February 13th and it's almost one week that weather is totally calm! Why?! Is it the Murphy's Law?
Ricky971 is offline Find More Posts by Ricky971
Last edited by Ricky971; Feb 17, 2013 at 05:51 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:49 AM
Joined Mar 2012
337 Posts
One (maybe stupid...) question: why the Walrusses all have a red servo on one flap?
Is it a reverse rotation servo?
I'm asking because I'm buying some HXT900 servos for a Bixler 2 and watching my Walrus I had the doubt: do I need something different from a standard servo, for flaps?

I've got a Spektrum DX6i, but I cannot imagine how to manage a different rotation on flap's servos, even with a programmable radio.

Thanks everybody!
Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:54 AM
what goes up, must come down..
Joined May 2010
3,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky971 View Post
One (maybe stupid...) question: why the Walrusses all have a red servo on one flap?
Is it a reverse rotation servo?
I'm asking because I'm buying some HXT900 servos for a Bixler 2 and watching my Walrus I had the doubt: do I need something different from a standard servo, for flaps?

I've got a Spektrum DX6i, but I cannot imagine how to manage a different rotation on flap's servos, even with a programmable radio.

Thanks everybody!
Yes, I would hazard at a guess that the red servo is reversed internally, so if you are replacing the stock servos, you can either cut out a little more foam out of the flap servo pocket so you can install the new servo without reversing it (probably the easiest option, and the way I do it)... or you can reverse the servo yourself, a youtube video is on my RCG blog to show you how to do this... or you could buy a little device called a servo reverser
I've removed all the stock servos to replace with better quality... and the flaps & ails will be one long aileron, no flaps

PS: no such thing as a stupid question... except the only stupid question is the one you dont ask
AussieHoppy is online now Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
Old Feb 18, 2013, 05:03 AM
Joined Mar 2012
337 Posts
Thanks Aussie!
For curiosity: why do You set Your flaps as ailerons? To have the plane more reactive?
Wich servos did You choose? HXT900 are good for Walrus/Bixler2 replacement?
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:10 PM
what goes up, must come down..
Joined May 2010
3,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky971 View Post
Thanks Aussie!
For curiosity: why do You set Your flaps as ailerons? To have the plane more reactive?
Wich servos did You choose? HXT900 are good for Walrus/Bixler2 replacement?
a lot of guys use the 900's on Bixlers so I'd think they should be fine. I use Hitecs, just a personal flavour preference

Yes, more manouverability, especially at speed
I dont know how fast my walrus (gawd I wish they had picked a better name!! lol) will fly with the motor I am using, but I know my Bixler2 has surface control lockup problems if I dive too steep, and one theory is that the wings may be twisting with the ailerons, so I'll lessen the ails throws, use flaps as ailerons but give these more throw so the stress that may cause wing twist is closer to the wing root where it cant really twist the wing.
I've never tried this but one way to find out heh heh
AussieHoppy is online now Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:29 PM
United States, CA, Big Bear City
Joined Jan 2003
78 Posts
High cost of freight.

I've followed this thread with great interest. I would really like to get a Walrus.
Problem is...They want $47.00 to ship to California. Is there a way to get one and pay less to ship?
Thanks for your insight.
Forrest
Forrest is offline Find More Posts by Forrest
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:36 PM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
Nope.
I'm kind of wanting to buy a spare and waiting for it to show up in the US warehouse.
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:33 PM
Joined Jan 2003
78 Posts
IFlyRCs thanks for your reply.
I thought they might through 2 or 3 thousand into a container and ship 'em here. Might take some time, but less expensive.
Guess I'll wait awhile.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:44 PM
Joined May 2009
102 Posts
I had a problem with my Walrus build a week ago. The female screw socket for attaching the wings were 1/4 inch off center and the two top screws would not screw into the plane plus the wooden wing tabs holes were off center too. This was a manufacturing defect. I tried to deal with Hobby King customer support about this and it was just about impossible to deal with them. I was going back and forth with them and they wanted to see photos and a video and they offered me a ten dollar credit. The only solution was I had to glue the wings into the fuselage and that is not what I wanted to do for storage reasons. I have limited space to store my planes. I have been busy with work and hopefully I can maiden the plane this weekend.
bart4u is offline Find More Posts by bart4u
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:07 AM
ICrashRCs
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
A friend had the same issue with his Bixler 1.1
We had to dremel the holes larger to one side in the bottom wing wooden washers.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 06:46 AM
buy a lot, fly a little!
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Central And Western District
Joined May 2001
5,778 Posts
FYI, I have asked for walrus's to be sent to the US warehouse, so some will be on there way soon.

S.
stuart warne is online now Find More Posts by stuart warne
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Savex Spitfire Progress
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:11 AM
ICrashRCs
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
Thanks stuart, how about those prop parts?
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:26 AM
buy a lot, fly a little!
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Central And Western District
Joined May 2001
5,778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFlyRCs View Post
Thanks stuart, how about those prop parts?
Hopefully in stock in the not to distant future.

S.
stuart warne is online now Find More Posts by stuart warne
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Savex Spitfire Progress
Old Feb 25, 2013, 08:15 PM
Joined Jan 2003
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart warne View Post
FYI, I have asked for walrus's to be sent to the US warehouse, so some will be on there way soon.

S.
Stuart, Please keep us posted.
Thanks,
Forrest
Old Mar 03, 2013, 05:41 PM
Joined Mar 2012
337 Posts
hi,
some news about spare motor and spinner?