HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 04, 2012, 06:33 PM
United States, MO, Grandview
Joined Feb 2012
111 Posts
My first flight with the walrus went smooth, thanks for all the advice. I used the door insulation idea to squeeze the battery but mine needed to go in the nose to hit cg so I could not use the pillow top I had to use velcro. I guess because I have a heavy 9ch turnigy rx behind the servos. I thought I had a bad flap servo because it was acting weird and moving occasionally on its own, so I went to unplug the flap servos for the maiden and noticed the y connector had a bad connection. Replaced the y connector and all was good. I needed some up trim to keep it from climbing but then it was smooth, but not real fast. I checked my esc after a heavy throttle flight and it seemed fine, but I never used the flap servos, although they were plugged in. All in all I'm pretty happy with my purchase. It is nice and acrobatic yet very easy to fly and fits perfectly in my back seat fully assembled. I think this one will hit the US warehouse because I searched for it the other day to see the reviews and noticed it is now available in the UK warehouse.
mstopps is offline Find More Posts by mstopps
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 11, 2012, 07:45 AM
Australia, WA, Collie
Joined Aug 2012
211 Posts
Control surface hinges

Make sure you check your control surfaces regularly. One of my flaps partially broke away today.( I've had about 30 flights. ) I ended up cutting them all off and fitting decent hinges, just to make sure it doesn't happen again.
I broke a prop blade today as well...Don't know how I just noticed it when I got home.
FYI Aeronaut blades fit the stock hub. I bought a spare prop a few weeks ago ( with a hub and spinner ) and I just needed to fit the blade, so thats good.
I'll keep the hub for when I power dive into the ground....lol

Steve
sterob is online now Find More Posts by sterob
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:18 PM
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Jun 2012
140 Posts
Maiden Report

I finally maiden mine last week-end!

It's a joy to fly! Really easy... but At first It was really tail heavy with the 65mm CoG according to the manual point of measurement (on the wire channel).

I had to put the 2200mAh battery forward and put the receiver behind the battery. To do that, you must extend the ESC wire between the ESC and the Rx.

Now my CoG is on the spar... around 12mm forward of the wire channel.

Perfect flyer... no trim adjustment. Good glider... 20min of flight time (spend around 75% of the 2200mAh) with mix throttle at around 40% and with temperature at 2 degrees Celsius!
Krycek W is offline Find More Posts by Krycek W
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:22 PM
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Jun 2012
140 Posts
Flying weight

For the archives...
  • Flying weight: 825g
  • Without bat: 632g
  • Battery weight (Turnigy 2200-3S 25c) : 193 g
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:50 PM
Winnipeg, MB Canada
Joined Jan 2000
2,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterob View Post
......FYI Aeronaut blades fit the stock hub. .....
Steve
Steve: What size did you discover worked? I don't know what the stock size is but I'd like to replace it with a better one, maybe a CAM. Tex.
Sabrejock is offline Find More Posts by Sabrejock
Old Nov 21, 2012, 06:51 AM
Australia, WA, Collie
Joined Aug 2012
211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabrejock View Post
Steve: What size did you discover worked? I don't know what the stock size is but I'd like to replace it with a better one, maybe a CAM. Tex.
I know the diameter is 9" but I had to guess what the pitch was. I guessed 5" and it seems pretty close. I haven't been able to measure the current draw to see if its changed, but it seems to still fly ok.
The blades look identical so I guess HK copied the Aeronauts.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:40 AM
Winnipeg, MB Canada
Joined Jan 2000
2,419 Posts
Steve: For comparison, my stock prop on a 3s 2200 50C at the 12.5volt level drew just 15Amps. But with this power it has vertical climb to as far as I want it to go. Tex.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:56 AM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
I put a 2836 1000kv on mine with a PZ Wildcat prop and prop adapter.
The thing is a wicked fast hoot to fly. Yet floats and glides better than a Sky Surfer/Bixler.
Love the Walrus!

Have 2 more motor choices and some folders coming to play with.
I've got a vibe and suspect the motor.
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
Old Nov 22, 2012, 05:16 AM
Australia, WA, Collie
Joined Aug 2012
211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabrejock View Post
Steve: For comparison, my stock prop on a 3s 2200 50C at the 12.5volt level drew just 15Amps. But with this power it has vertical climb to as far as I want it to go. Tex.
wow...doesn't seem very much does it?....lol But like you said, vertical performance.
Ive got a watt meter on the way, so I'll check mine when it arrives, just for a laugh....
Old Nov 22, 2012, 05:18 AM
Australia, WA, Collie
Joined Aug 2012
211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFlyRCs View Post
I put a 2836 1000kv on mine with a PZ Wildcat prop and prop adapter.
The thing is a wicked fast hoot to fly. Yet floats and glides better than a Sky Surfer/Bixler.
Love the Walrus!

Have 2 more motor choices and some folders coming to play with.
I've got a vibe and suspect the motor.
Sounds good.....I might try a larger prop, just to see how it goes....keeps it interesting...lol
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:01 PM
skidding in the sky
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2010
904 Posts
So anyone FPV'd this yet?

Thinking it might be my next bird to take the eye to the sky
WitnessOnly is offline Find More Posts by WitnessOnly
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:54 AM
Limited flyer
Joined Dec 2011
412 Posts
Any body call time of death for this thread yet, me, i can't report anything since it is cold and snowy here in EDMONON ALBERTA.
How about the rest of you,any warm weather flight reports
Limited flyer is offline Find More Posts by Limited flyer
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:46 AM
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Jun 2012
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limited flyer View Post
Any body call time of death for this thread yet, me, i can't report anything since it is cold and snowy here in EDMONON ALBERTA.
How about the rest of you,any warm weather flight reports
Same cold weather for me here in Montreal! Indoor flying is the way to go until march!
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:20 PM
Winnipeg, MB Canada
Joined Jan 2000
2,419 Posts
Mine will fly Jan 1 in Winterpeg. Tex.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 06:31 PM
Australia, VIC, Bendigo
Joined Jan 2012
1,649 Posts
Hello Im new here and thinking of getting one.Any mods I should be thinking of other than the usual hinge mods.I pity you guys up there in cold Canada..We in Oz have to watch out for the dreaded Heat bubble rash when the temp climbs..been over 30c and very windy last few days..
agedflier is online now Find More Posts by agedflier