Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krycek W View Post
Just for the record... I find my answer here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...434584&page=59

My Walrus with CROW, Flaps and mix aileron-rudder (for test) is ready for is maiden flight!

Awesome!, once you 've flown with crow mix, you will be spoiled and everything else will seem so primitive! I just love the ability to come screaming in towards myself from any altitude in a dive and then deploy full crow and watch the model like hitting an invisible net and drops out of the air at the same time, then I flare hard while it is mushing with the belly sticking the grass .
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2012, 09:15 PM
Joined Oct 2012
4 Posts
I have my cg at 60mm that is where the servo leads go to the wings and it flies great.
ainslorn is offline Find More Posts by ainslorn
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:51 PM
Joined Oct 2012
4 Posts
I have mixing with my flaps and elevator only 10% and that seems plenty. It is ok without the mixing but it makes it easier with it. Had no problems with esc heating but I do not use full power much after all it is a glider but it can do aerobatics with the best of them if wanted
ainslorn is offline Find More Posts by ainslorn
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:09 PM
Friend of Bill's
Joined Oct 2012
4 Posts
Fledgling looking for advice, oh yes and is the ESC OK?

Hi
1) How will I know if I have the improved ESC?
2) Even so, does it handle the use of 6 servos without overheating?
3) Any suggestions about initial setup for a newbie who will use this as his first plane. I have a DX6i and AR6200 Rx. To tame this bird more towards a forgiving trainer. I was thinking of setting the 0 positions to 100% and the 1 positions to 50%?
I am sure that is too simplistic a plan and each axis might want a different amount of dampening of the controls. Any suggestions?
4) Also should I try for spot on CG or slightly nose heavy?
Thanks
Cajin_Rye is offline Find More Posts by Cajin_Rye
Old Oct 26, 2012, 02:49 PM
OD123ify Snake
United States, FL, Pensacola
Joined Mar 2012
97 Posts
Walrus

This thing is great check it out>Had no problems with CG or overheating,flaps are cool to.
Hobbyking Walrus Glider 1400mm Maiden SNAKE (6 min 48 sec)
Morodie is offline Find More Posts by Morodie
Last edited by Morodie; Oct 26, 2012 at 02:55 PM. Reason: none
Old Oct 26, 2012, 04:20 PM
United States, MO, Grandview
Joined Feb 2012
111 Posts
Good video! I liked how you kept it in close and had some really nice close ups showing off the acro. Cant wait to get mine put together. Its definately not a speed demon but it flies nice.
mstopps is offline Find More Posts by mstopps
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:35 PM
Friend of Bill's
Joined Oct 2012
4 Posts
This video more than anything else is what sold me on the plane. Thanks for a good show. I am sure it was 90% pilot, but it demonstrates the wide potential of the aircraft's design. It is my intention to use it as my first trainer, with the help of club instruction. And then to advanced
to aerobatics and soaring and maybe some ridge running. The bird just looks right. Can't wait for all the stuff to arrive.
Cajin_Rye is offline Find More Posts by Cajin_Rye
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:53 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajin_Rye View Post
This video more than anything else is what sold me on the plane. Thanks for a good show. I am sure it was 90% pilot, but it demonstrates the wide potential of the aircraft's design. It is my intention to use it as my first trainer, with the help of club instruction. And then to advanced
to aerobatics and soaring and maybe some ridge running. The bird just looks right. Can't wait for all the stuff to arrive.

Yes! I think the Walrus will be perfect for you to learn the basics of RC model aircraft piloting, especially along with your decision to employ experienced pilot assistance from your club, as that is the best way to learn how to fly model aircraft.
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Oct 26, 2012, 11:14 PM
Australia, WA, Collie
Joined Aug 2012
259 Posts
Yep, cool video. Makes me want to go fly my Walrus......lol
sterob is offline Find More Posts by sterob
Old Oct 28, 2012, 04:10 PM
Joined Feb 2012
111 Posts
I just unboxed and dry fit my walrus and I have a few comments and questions. There was some shipping damage to the tail which was not really secured but a little glue should fix it which brings me to my first question. There was no glue included and all I have on hand is extra thick ca, foam safe gap filling ca, and some leftover glue that came with my FMS Easy Trainer 1280 which is also epo. I'm thinking of using the FMS glue? Everything else looks good, no twist, and like the pre-applied decals, but I did have to trim some and free up the hinges. I put on the first control horn and the screws seem long and come out the top quite a bit, but seems ok. What are you guys doing for the battery. My 2200 is under the servos and I was going to use velcro but that will give me even less clearance under the servo arms. Where it is in the picture, up against the hump in front, it balances good on the servo wires.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 04:19 PM
Joined Feb 2012
111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajin_Rye View Post
Hi
1) How will I know if I have the improved ESC?
2) Even so, does it handle the use of 6 servos without overheating?
3) Any suggestions about initial setup for a newbie who will use this as his first plane. I have a DX6i and AR6200 Rx. To tame this bird more towards a forgiving trainer. I was thinking of setting the 0 positions to 100% and the 1 positions to 50%?
I am sure that is too simplistic a plan and each axis might want a different amount of dampening of the controls. Any suggestions?
4) Also should I try for spot on CG or slightly nose heavy?
Thanks
I posted pics of what should be the new esc. Dont know much about it, but they did not cut the wrap like they did to the earlier ones. I think Doubletap was saying it should be fine for normal flying with flaps but if you want a full 7channel setup you should probably plan on getting a seperate bec. Stewart posted earlier about d/r and expo settings. There has been some confusion on the measured distance and where to measure from but most have said it is basically the servo wire channel.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 04:51 PM
Winnipeg, MB Canada
Joined Jan 2000
2,419 Posts
Walrus Tail

Hey, check out Snake's video at the 25 second mark. Sure looks to me that the tail is cockeyed! Hmm. Tex.
Sabrejock is offline Find More Posts by Sabrejock
Old Oct 29, 2012, 01:48 AM
OD123ify Snake
United States, FL, Pensacola
Joined Mar 2012
97 Posts
walrus

Ive checked it out i dont see any warp,but i may be blind

Morodie is offline Find More Posts by Morodie
Old Oct 29, 2012, 04:58 AM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstopps View Post
I just unboxed and dry fit my walrus and I have a few comments and questions. There was some shipping damage to the tail which was not really secured but a little glue should fix it which brings me to my first question. There was no glue included and all I have on hand is extra thick ca, foam safe gap filling ca, and some leftover glue that came with my FMS Easy Trainer 1280 which is also epo. I'm thinking of using the FMS glue? Everything else looks good, no twist, and like the pre-applied decals, but I did have to trim some and free up the hinges. I put on the first control horn and the screws seem long and come out the top quite a bit, but seems ok. What are you guys doing for the battery. My 2200 is under the servos and I was going to use velcro but that will give me even less clearance under the servo arms. Where it is in the picture, up against the hump in front, it balances good on the servo wires.
I would just go with the extra thick ca. I think it's ok to accelerate it too.
Do not use foam safe on this plane. It won't hold as well as regular.
I actually have my 2200 standing up between the servos and velcroed in.
It's a touch further back but my rx is in front.

Finally got mine finished tonight.
Ready to toss.
Flying vacation starts Tues.
Can't wait.
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
Old Oct 29, 2012, 06:01 AM
Australia, WA, Collie
Joined Aug 2012
259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstopps View Post
What are you guys doing for the battery. My 2200 is under the servos and I was going to use velcro but that will give me even less clearance under the servo arms. Where it is in the picture, up against the hump in front, it balances good on the servo wires.
I fitted my 2200 battery the same as you.Yes, its quite close to the servo arms but seems to clear them ok. I *did*think about putting the battery on its side but decided against it. My Rx is tucked up behind the battery. I cable tied all the servo leads together to stop them getting caught by the servos.
sterob is offline Find More Posts by sterob