Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 20, 2012, 05:41 PM
Winnipeg, MB Canada
Joined Jan 2000
2,419 Posts
Walrus Help

I've spent a lot of money at HK [please don't tell] and have always had good products delivered. My Walrus ESC went pear-shaped and I contacted them. All they needed was a vid of the funny stuff the ESC was doing and they gave me the appropriate points for my next purchase. [As I had requested, BTW]

I did not have to mail the faulty unit. It was a $6.00 or so item so I would have just trashed it and ate the loss. Thanks HK, Tex.
Sabrejock is offline Find More Posts by Sabrejock
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2012, 02:08 PM
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Jun 2012
145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubletap View Post
WOW! Walrus maidened, exceptional performance and value! Finally got a chance to maiden my Walrus,it is stock except for the addition of a 5A Switch mode BEC, and one wing servo was replaced immediately as the original servo was defective. My Walrus is setup as a 7 channel, 4 servo wing sailplane, the stock power system with 3S 2200mah lipo has ample power with no evidence of ESC overheating with external sbec, my maiden flight was flawless with all components landed with only slight warmth, although my7 minute flight consisted of mostly 3/4 to full throttle hard aerobatics, and the Walrus will do happily anything you throw it, yet, it comes slow and steep when full crow is deployed for a near pinpoint landing. BTW, the roll rate with mixed full span trailing edge ailerons is awesome, my Walrus does axial rolls in a blink of the eye with no elevator compensation needed.
Good for you! I'm waiting for more than one week to maiden mine. Here snow will come soon but now it's rainy and windy! 3 week-end back to back

Where did you set your CG?

Mine is on the wire channel, 3-4mm forward from the manual CG(71mm), so it's at 67-68mm from the location according to the picture in the manual.
Krycek W is offline Find More Posts by Krycek W
Last edited by Krycek W; Oct 21, 2012 at 02:18 PM.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 02:16 PM
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Jun 2012
145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubletap View Post
... My Walrus is setup as a 7 channel, 4 servo wing sailplane[...] it comes slow and steep when full crow is deployed for a near pinpoint landing.
I plan to program CROW too, I will use my DX7s, in the 6 channels mode (2 channels for the aileron, one for each).

Somebody have the "CROW" program for a DX7s?
Old Oct 21, 2012, 08:18 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krycek W View Post
Good for you! I'm waiting for more than one week to maiden mine. Here snow will come soon but now it's rainy and windy! 3 week-end back to back

Where did you set your CG?

Mine is on the wire channel, 3-4mm forward from the manual CG(71mm), so it's at 67-68mm from the location according to the picture in the manual.
My CG is right around the servo wire channel also, but depending on which pack I use, it can be a few mm behind,
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Oct 21, 2012, 08:22 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
I plan to program CROW too, I will use my DX7s, in the 6 channels mode (2 channels for the aileron, one for each).

Try asking in the radio forum, or the electric sailplane forum for DX7 programming for crow:

http://www.rcgroups.com/radios-135/

http://www.rcgroups.com/electric-sailplanes-19/
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Oct 22, 2012, 08:34 PM
Friend of Bill's
Joined Oct 2012
4 Posts
My Walrus is on it's way. I am returning to the hobby so I would like advice.
I'll be using it as an advanced trainer. Have DX6i, plan on incorporating CROW for the 6th channel.
Just want a rock solid ship, so I am thinking of installing a
Turnigy dlux 30A SBEC Brushless Speed Controller w/Data Logging (2s~4s).
Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks Wayne
Cajin_Rye is offline Find More Posts by Cajin_Rye
Last edited by Cajin_Rye; Oct 22, 2012 at 08:41 PM.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 02:46 AM
Joined Oct 2012
4 Posts
Yes it has a carbon fibre spar. Flew mine yesterday and goes like a dream very stable and flaps make it a breeze to land at a very slow speed. A great model
ainslorn is offline Find More Posts by ainslorn
Old Oct 23, 2012, 02:52 AM
Joined Oct 2012
4 Posts
I have CG at around 60 mm not 71 as per book. Thermals great too. Just the right size to leave assembled cannot fault for a foamy.
ainslorn is offline Find More Posts by ainslorn
Old Oct 23, 2012, 07:00 AM
Australia, WA, Collie
Joined Aug 2012
236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainslorn View Post
Yes it has a carbon fibre spar. Flew mine yesterday and goes like a dream very stable and flaps make it a breeze to land at a very slow speed. A great model

Great stuff. Glad you like it. I am happy with mine too.
Just curious, are you mixing any elevator in with your flaps and rudder with the ailerons?
sterob is offline Find More Posts by sterob
Old Oct 23, 2012, 08:51 AM
Winnipeg, MB Canada
Joined Jan 2000
2,419 Posts
Trimming

There is a great deal of info about trimming and "C of G" placement available.

Just Google: Trimming RC Gliders Most sites agree that the box stated point of balance is too far forward for good performance.

Tex.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 11:41 AM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainslorn View Post
I have CG at around 60 mm not 71 as per book. Thermals great too. Just the right size to leave assembled cannot fault for a foamy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabrejock View Post
Most sites agree that the box stated point of balance is too far forward for good performance.

Tex.
Aren't these contradictary?

What is the best Visual reference point for CG guys?
I'm finishing setting mine up this week.
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
Old Oct 23, 2012, 12:15 PM
Winnipeg, MB Canada
Joined Jan 2000
2,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFlyRCs View Post
Aren't these contradictary? [sic]

Not at all. A nose-heavy plane will thermal, an optimally balanced one will thermal better. Tex.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 12:27 PM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabrejock View Post
Not at all. A nose-heavy plane will thermal, an optimally balanced one will thermal better. Tex.
Everyone is giving measurements moving the cg point forward but you're saying stock is too far forward.
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
Old Oct 23, 2012, 12:52 PM
Winnipeg, MB Canada
Joined Jan 2000
2,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFlyRCs View Post
Everyone is giving measurements moving the cg point forward but you're saying stock is too far forward.
Here's the thing: This plane is very stable at stock balance. It's a given that moving the balance point rearward improves efficiency. Of course you can move it back to a point where it becomes unstable, and difficult to control,but that's a different discussion.

You realize that any nose-heaviness requires up some elevator deflection adding a down force on the plane, in effect adding load. A slightly tail heavy plane requires a downward deflection of the surface in effect adding to total lift. Both of these situations add drag. So we should aim for a neutral position of the stab/elevator for least drag and reasonable wing loading.

You might like the way the nose-heavy plane flies. It would be stable, for sure, but for best efficiency you should ease the balance point rearward as much as possible keeping the plane enjoyable to fly.

The above is very simplistic and not meant as the last word on trimming. Tex.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:52 PM
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Jun 2012
145 Posts
Quote:

Just for the record... I find my answer here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...434584&page=59

My Walrus with CROW, Flaps and mix aileron-rudder (for test) is ready for is maiden flight!