HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 10, 2012, 01:28 PM
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Jun 2012
145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Shot View Post
Set the flaps at 100% and the elevator down a little.
Buck Shot, with the flaps set at 100%, how much elevator down do you add?
Krycek W is offline Find More Posts by Krycek W
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2012, 02:30 PM
Joined Apr 2012
214 Posts
Mine is about 3/16 of a inch.
Buck Shot is online now Find More Posts by Buck Shot
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:10 AM
Joined Apr 2012
214 Posts
Air Intake

Installed a air intake today. It is 3/8" wide and 1 1/4 long. I ended the cut between the K and the i on the Hobby King decal.I slanted the end cuts for better air flow.I then thought of a air scope to cover the intake. A servo cover would work,but I made one out of a old white pill bottle. It looks good and should solve the ESC heat problem?? The weather here in Michigan Sucks!! Don't know when I will be able to get out and try it. Anybody else been flying??
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:32 AM
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Jun 2012
145 Posts
Twist tail problem

Just a quick recommendation about this possible problem (discuss in post between 160 and 175)

1. Put the wing together before gluing the tail

Mine was just a bit twist, so in the gluing process of the tail, with the wing on, I was able to adjust the tail perfectly.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:57 AM
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Jun 2012
145 Posts
Mine is built at 95% now.

Only the location ot the CG, Rx, ESC and battery left to do.

IMHO the quality of the foam and the fit are very good, better than some brand name.
But you have to give attention to the sticker, the screws of the motor and spinner (mine was loose, use threat look). The control horn, rod and clevis were not an issue for me and look from good quality to me.

I just wish HK had put a plastic cover to protect the fuse for this belly lander.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:03 AM
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Jun 2012
145 Posts
Electronics setup

Here is my setup right now:

1. Rx Orange 6 channels (The ESC, Rx and Battery will be very close, so I decide to add a Satellite to be sure to have a strong connection)

2. Orange Satellite with long extension (Mine is fix inside the fuselage with velcro just over the hole in the middle of the fuse, a couple of inch behind the battery location)

3. I use two extensions for the aileron servo and two channels (I don’t use the Y connector) to be able to program “Crow” for spot landing

4. The servos throw for the aileron, rudder and flaps are 120% and 100% for the elevator

5. In the preflight test of the electronics and the motor, the servos center very well and the ESC still cold…

6. The shrink tube over the ESC was cut over the heat sink by HK. The heat sink still in place by 2 corners that is still cover by the shrink tube.

7. The brake is already program in the ESC, so the motor brake went I cut the throttle

8. I will use a Spektrum DX7s and plan to program, CROW and Mix aileron->rudder base on previous posts about yaw attitude of the Walrus

Will see at the Maiden!
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:05 AM
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Jun 2012
145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Shot View Post
Mine is about 3/16 of a inch.
Thanks, I set my throw of the Flaps at 120%. So that give me a good range to start.

I will report after maiden.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:25 PM
Joined Mar 2012
4 Posts
Walrus mods.

Hi fella's, I thought I would show the mods I have done to my Walrus. I tend to do this with most of my models and never seem to have any issues at all with stock components on them. I have built two Hobby King Walrus's for my brother and myself and they went together very well. I use plastic spoons cut down over the cut outs for extra cooling and increased the size of the outlet hole. The spinner mod also helps with keeping things cool.. cheers, Baz
Bazza98 is offline Find More Posts by Bazza98
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:59 AM
Proud of Brushless Sprouts
Belgium, Flanders, Antwerp
Joined Feb 2007
327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazza98 View Post
Hi fella's, I thought I would show the mods I have done to my Walrus. I tend to do this with most of my models and never seem to have any issues at all with stock components on them. I have built two Hobby King Walrus's for my brother and myself and they went together very well. I use plastic spoons cut down over the cut outs for extra cooling and increased the size of the outlet hole. The spinner mod also helps with keeping things cool.. cheers, Baz
Welcome to the forum Bazza98! Love the spoon way and have used it many times.
Just make sure the total volume of outtake at least doubles the volume of intake.
Commander Clumsy is offline Find More Posts by Commander Clumsy
Old Oct 12, 2012, 06:13 PM
Joined Mar 2012
4 Posts
Thanks for the kind wellcome Commander Clunsy, Yes I did increase the outlet size and after a 24 min flight this morning things were hardly warm. I do tend to spend most of my flight with power off or at least low power. Cheers. Baz.
Bazza98 is offline Find More Posts by Bazza98
Old Oct 14, 2012, 02:12 AM
Australia, WA, Collie
Joined Aug 2012
237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterob View Post
This might be obvious to everyone, but make sure you check your heat sink on the ESC. Mine just fell off!( just from normal use. No hard landings or anything )
I was just about to go for another flight and noticed that the heatsink was wonky. Lucky I did cause I don't think the ESC would have survived the next flight without it.

The first ESC's must have had heat shrink over the entire heat sink and when some people started having cooling issues, HK decided to trim the heat shrink from around the cooling fins.( I'm speculating ) They must have trimmed a little too much from mine, as it was just the 4 corners of the heat sink were under the heat shrink.
and holding it on.
I'm going to pull mine out and devise a new plan to secure it on.
Maybe on the later one, it won't be an issue.

I just come back from the Club after flying th Walrus for the first time after discovering the loose heat sink on the ESC......
I've lost all the smoke out my motor....
I was just about to hand launch when i spotted a wiff of smoke coming out of my model. I immediately thought ESC didn't survive the loss of heat sink, but I had pulled the motor out and one of the winding's is burnt out. The ESC might still be borked, but for now, the motor is definitely stuffed.
Will order a motor and ESC and see what happens.
sterob is offline Find More Posts by sterob
Old Oct 14, 2012, 02:18 AM
Australia, WA, Collie
Joined Aug 2012
237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by r2barrett View Post
what size is the prop and shaft for the spinner
The prop is 9" dia, but I can't tell what the pitch is. Can anyone from HK confirm please?
Motor shaft dia is 3mm , prop adapter dia is 8mm. Spinner dia is 50 mm.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 07:30 AM
Australia, WA, Collie
Joined Aug 2012
237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krycek W View Post

6. The shrink tube over the ESC was cut over the heat sink by HK. The heat sink still in place by 2 corners that is still cover by the shrink tube.
!
Be careful my friend. When the heat shrink warms up it becomes soft and 2 corners might not be enough to hold the heat sink in place properly.

I cut it all off and replaced it and then re-cut around the fins, making sure there was plenty of material to hold the heat sink.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:42 AM
Joined Sep 2005
12 Posts
I agree that the instructions should direct to mount the wings before attachment of the elevator and rudder however, in my case, more than "slight" adjustment is required. I had also previously attempted the generic approach to setting the brake at the first tone but to no avail. The ESC produces tone sets that I have not encountered. It does not have heat sink fins.
Hz42 is offline Find More Posts by Hz42
Old Oct 14, 2012, 09:08 AM
Joined Apr 2012
214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hz42 View Post
I agree that the instructions should direct to mount the wings before attachment of the elevator and rudder however, in my case, more than "slight" adjustment is required. I had also previously attempted the generic approach to setting the brake at the first tone but to no avail. The ESC produces tone sets that I have not encountered. It does not have heat sink fins.
Maybe the tones you are hearing are Chinese and thats why you haven't encountered them!!