HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 23, 2012, 09:42 PM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstopps View Post
That is too bad and I was really looking forward to your review of this plane. I got the ez trainer 1280 after reading the ez style thread when I saw you liked it so much but I am now looking for something more aerobatic and faster. I was thinking about the axn clouds fly, bixler 2, this, or dynamic s.
I haven't flown my Walrus yet but,
B2 is bigger and perhaps not very sporty.
Dynamic S is a lot of plane. But a good plane. Look at the Blaze at Tower too.
A clipped wing Clouds Fly (Floater Jet) may be a winner.
Even a stock clipped wing Bixler would be nice.

Then there's lots of other options.
I enjoyed my RxR Super Sportster from Tower.
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
Last edited by IFlyRCs; Sep 23, 2012 at 10:27 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2012, 12:08 AM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Actually there is no reason to "change" the existing ESC for those who already have the model, all you need to do is install a separate switch mode BEC to bypass the integrated BEC on the ESC.I'm sure that the stock 20A ESC itself should be just fine for the motor/prop/battery combination, that's why I didn't replace the ESC, I just added the external switching voltage regulator to provide 5V power to the radio equipment, that's all.
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Sep 24, 2012, 12:15 AM
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
That is too bad and I was really looking forward to your review of this plane. I got the ez trainer 1280 after reading the ez style thread when I saw you liked it so much but I am now looking for something more aerobatic and faster. I was thinking about the axn clouds fly, bixler 2, this, or
dynamic s.

It's not a problem, especially now that Stuart has announced that all Walrus will come with an uprated ESC, but an external BEC can be added to your existing ESC which will take care of the problem . I still think that the Walrus is a very nice full function but economically priced foam glider, as with all new designs there will be a period where kinks will be ironed out. I'll be performing the maiden in a few more weeks.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:32 AM
Joined Apr 2012
209 Posts
NO Problem?? Just finished mine. What are the first of us to do? Are we to fly it untill it catches on Fire or go out and buy a new ESC? They knew the ESC was Bad before they shipped the first ones! They cut the cover off of it to try to cool it! It is Sad when a Company as big as Hobby King uses its costormers for Reserch and Development!! It is nice they are changing it for it's New costormers. If they really give a D-m they would send the first costormers a New ESC!! Now I know why they say Never buy the first ones let them work out the bugs First !!! BUCK
Buck Shot is online now Find More Posts by Buck Shot
Old Sep 24, 2012, 11:52 AM
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Jun 2012
145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Shot View Post
NO Problem?? Just finished mine. What are the first of us to do? Are we to fly it untill it catches on Fire or go out and buy a new ESC? They knew the ESC was Bad before they shipped the first ones! They cut the cover off of it to try to cool it! It is Sad when a Company as big as Hobby King uses its costormers for Reserch and Development!! It is nice they are changing it for it's New costormers. If they really give a D-m they would send the first costormers a New ESC!! Now I know why they say Never buy the first ones let them work out the bugs First !!! BUCK
+1 on that.

I had received mine more than a week ago, I just began to put it together last evening, if the ESC as a problem, HobbyKing have to send to his first customers a replacement ESC!
Krycek W is offline Find More Posts by Krycek W
Old Sep 24, 2012, 12:07 PM
buy a lot, fly a little!
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Central And Western District
Joined May 2001
5,706 Posts
I have already explained the mix up with the ESC and that the example we saw in the final product sample was not, it seems, the same esc that went out to the first batch of customer, so I'm not going to go into this again.

I do however agree with the sentiment above and if indeed your ESC has actually failed, it should be replaced. I will follow it up with the guy's in the office in the morning regarding this.

S.
stuart warne is online now Find More Posts by stuart warne
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Savex Spitfire Progress
Old Sep 24, 2012, 12:18 PM
Joined Apr 2012
209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart warne View Post
I have already explained the mix up with the ESC and that the example we saw in the final product sample was not, it seems, the same esc that went out to the first batch of customer, so I'm not going to go into this again.

I do however agree with the sentiment above and if indeed your ESC has actually failed, it should be replaced. I will follow it up with the guy's in the office in the morning regarding this.

S.
It should be replaced by whom?? What do you mean by failed?? Buck
Old Sep 24, 2012, 12:34 PM
United States, MO, Grandview
Joined Feb 2012
111 Posts
Stuart, if I order one that is in stock now will it still have the old esc? The description still shows 20amp. Also can you ask the guys at the office if there are plans to stock it in the USA?
mstopps is offline Find More Posts by mstopps
Old Sep 24, 2012, 12:44 PM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
There hasn't been an esc failure yet correct?
I think getting some airflow is going to be a big help.

STUART - Any word on prop size? replacement part?
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
Old Sep 24, 2012, 05:46 PM
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
Stuart, if I order one that is in stock now will it still have the old esc? The description still shows 20amp. Also can you ask the guys at the office if there are plans to stock it in the USA?

The original stock ESC current rating of 20A is just fine for this model with the stock power system. My watt meter shows that my stock Walrus will draw approx. 15.2A and generate 180W static using a freshly charged 3S 2200 mah lipo on WOT, which is well under the ESC continuous current rating of 20A. The issue has to do with the ESC's integrated linear BEC ability to supply 5v-6V to the radio equipment which includes all 6 servos without overheating. I found that isn't the case under the most extreme configuration, although most people will not setting up their Walrus like this where all 6 servos can/would be operating simultaneously and overload the built-in BEC, that's why, it is actually standard practice for modellers to bypass the integrated BEC when using a high performance control configuration installing a separate switch mode BEC which run much cooler when stepping down high voltage inputs from the battery pack.

If you only intend to fly the Walrus as a basic 4 or 5 channel model, you should be just fine with the stock 20A ESC with integrated BEC.
Last edited by Doubletap; Sep 24, 2012 at 06:03 PM.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 06:01 PM
United States, MO, Grandview
Joined Feb 2012
111 Posts
Thanks Doubletap that makes it more clear for me. I am pretty new to the hobby and I would definately like to be able to just "plug n play" as easy as possible and I have not yet learned about installing bec's or the various sailplane settings you mentioned but I am interested in someday. First I am going to order some servo extensions so I can set up flaperons on my et 1280 and flashing my 9x but I still have to learn exactly how to do all this stuff.
mstopps is offline Find More Posts by mstopps
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:19 PM
buy a lot, fly a little!
Joined May 2001
5,706 Posts
Quote:
All Walrus's ordered from now will ship with a better ESC.

S.
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:30 PM
Joined Apr 2012
209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart warne View Post
All Walrus's ordered from now will ship with a better ESC.

S.
Great!! How about the first ones that bought one!! R&D Again??
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:04 PM
buy a lot, fly a little!
Joined May 2001
5,706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFlyRCs View Post
There hasn't been an esc failure yet correct?
I think getting some airflow is going to be a big help.

STUART - Any word on prop size? replacement part?
I've just order a sample from the new batch, I'll be able to confirm when it gets here.

S.
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:07 PM
buy a lot, fly a little!
Joined May 2001
5,706 Posts
@ BS.

Has your esc failed?