HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 12, 2012, 05:55 PM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Melrose, MA
Joined Jul 2005
1,396 Posts
Build Log
Cartoon Fokker DVIII

Despite my best efforts to stay focused on my Giant Eurofighter project for NEAT. Gordon's sweet looking Nieuport got me thoroughly distracted. So I've started a DVIII the in the same scale to do battle with his.

Started with a 3-view, and stretched/skewed untill it looked right (err wrong?) enough. It's about the same dimensions of a Vapor now.

Got the CAD done today, which was expedited by using the DRI plans as a starting point. Should start cutting once my microlite gets here.

Toying around with the idea of making a little cowl, to add a bit more personality.

-Adam
AJWoods is offline Find More Posts by AJWoods
Last edited by AJWoods; Dec 09, 2012 at 03:24 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 12, 2012, 07:08 PM
in persuit of low wing loading
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,430 Posts
Adam,
That looks nice. I like the poportions. I like the cowl. That's what I don't like about my Dr.1, it has no round cowl. Now you've got me thinking about whether I should try a similar cowl for my Nieuport, of which I have yet to do any cutting. I'm going to start with the wings and work from there.

Any ideas how you'd do the cowl? Laser it out and glue it in place?

Gordon
Gordon Johnson is offline Find More Posts by Gordon Johnson
Old Aug 12, 2012, 07:18 PM
Micro Flyer, Big Poster
Joined Feb 2005
1,390 Posts
Ah, I just finished cutting out mine!! I'm presently putting guts in it- Geared 4mm motor, HingeAct and Plantraco .38g RX.

The cowl looks lovely on yours- I'm going to add it to mine What size is yours going to be?
Pete P is offline Find More Posts by Pete P
Old Aug 12, 2012, 07:19 PM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Melrose, MA
Joined Jul 2005
1,396 Posts
I was going to make it out of 2 layers of 3mm and 1 of 6mm, laminated, lasered to rough shape, then sanded down. Similar to how I did the bumblebee nose. I was going to do a few test in the next day or two and see how it comes out.

-A
Old Aug 12, 2012, 07:21 PM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Melrose, MA
Joined Jul 2005
1,396 Posts
Same length as Gordon's Fokker, but 14.75 span. I've only got one wing after-all
Old Aug 13, 2012, 05:18 PM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Melrose, MA
Joined Jul 2005
1,396 Posts
Cowl test

Tried making a cowl this evening. 3 layers of 6mm depron aero. The first two have a 6mm wall and the last makes the face. I tack glued it to the dremel cutoff wheel and spun it down to shape (although it probably would have come out fine hand sanded. Cut the bottom off at an angle and installed a dummy ply radial. Less than a gram right now, I think it'll add some real character to the plane.

-A

Edit: The radial came out a bit too large, but it sort of looks like buck teeth now...
Old Aug 13, 2012, 06:15 PM
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIT KID View Post
Tried making a cowl this evening. 3 layers of 6mm depron aero. The first two have a 6mm wall and the last makes the face. I tack glued it to the dremel cutoff wheel and spun it down to shape (although it probably would have come out fine hand sanded. Cut the bottom off at an angle and installed a dummy ply radial. Less than a gram right now, I think it'll add some real character to the plane.

-A

Edit: The radial came out a bit too large, but it sort of looks like buck teeth now...
Adam,
Very nice. I'm looking forward to seeing how it looks installed on the profile fuselage. I did something similar about four years ago when I started (but never got far) on a DVIII with Fiddlers Green printed tissue graphics. I made a cowl similar to yours by spinning it down on my lathe. My intention, which I never did, was to make the lower part of the rotary engine by lasering Depron to get the grooves to simulate the fins, and then spray it with a combination of grey and black paint to get a more engine look. Jin did something similar with a dummy engine on his Sopwith Tripe kit.

It's too late for me to put a cowl on my Dr.1 (I think) but you've got me thinking about it for the Nieuport. I'm working on the top wing right now, and graphics are really slowing that down. So, I have time to follow your lead.

Grdon
Last edited by Gordon Johnson; Aug 14, 2012 at 07:26 AM.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 05:37 PM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Melrose, MA
Joined Jul 2005
1,396 Posts
Got all the parts covered and painted this evening. 6.1g for the airframe right now. This is a fun little distraction

-A
Old Aug 15, 2012, 07:59 PM
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,430 Posts
Adam,
Wow, that's progressing, and looks super!

The color scheme looks so cartoon.

Gordon
Old Aug 15, 2012, 08:17 PM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Melrose, MA
Joined Jul 2005
1,396 Posts
Thanks!. Your skinning/painting technique before cutting the outlines works great. took a little longer to set up the cut files, but it produced much cleaner results, particularly on the fuse.

As a PSA to those also building with RA Microlite. I was worried about the hard wrinkles in the covering that were left from it being packed in its little pouch. I tried a couple different methods including tensioning the covering on the building board and letting it rest for an hour or so, tensioning then lightly heating with a blow-drier, and tensioning and immediately positioning the part. All produced comparable results, with very little visible wrinkling.

TLDR: Just pull the covering taught on the build surface, 77 the part, and put it in place. Nothing special.

-A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Johnson View Post
Adam,
Wow, that's progressing, and looks super!

The color scheme looks so cartoon.

Gordon
Old Aug 15, 2012, 11:04 PM
Carbondale PA
Joined Aug 2005
552 Posts
Your Fokker DVIII is looking beautiful! I can't wait to see her fly at NEAT.

Joe.
Joe Malinchak is offline Find More Posts by Joe Malinchak
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Micro Laser 3D
Old Aug 16, 2012, 09:43 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,951 Posts
Well done very cool

Pete
mtflyr is offline Find More Posts by mtflyr
Old Aug 17, 2012, 06:04 PM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Melrose, MA
Joined Jul 2005
1,396 Posts
LG and other ply stuff done.

I'm currently debating whether to stick with the BSD motor/GB Gordon used on the tripe, or swap to the standard vapor setup. I've got a lot less wing than the tripe, and the difference (with the props I have on hand) comes out to almost 4g. I should also have much less drag, so for general cruising I think the vapor setup might be sufficient (I'll be about 2g over stock vapor weight if I don't use too much glue).

Bonus points for guessing who the pilot is

-A
Old Aug 18, 2012, 04:03 PM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Melrose, MA
Joined Jul 2005
1,396 Posts
Finished it up this afternoon. 16g RTF with the Vapor power train and battery. I could prob loose a gram or more off the gear assembly, but I love big wheels.

Flies awesome, just like a vapor, but with slightly more rudder sensitivity. Short video in the hallway to prove it flies. I took it down to the lobby, to stretch its legs, and it looks just awesome cruising around.

Get building guys! Now back to the Eurofighter...

-Adam

Cartoon DVIII Maiden (0 min 40 sec)
Old Aug 18, 2012, 10:32 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIT KID View Post
Bonus points for guessing who the pilot is
That would be Theo Osterkamp of Marine Field Jagdstaffel 11. The aircraft is an E.V flown in Belgium in 1918.

I happen to have that info handy since I'm working up a tissue-foam model in those markings using a skin from the computer simulation Rise of Flight (see below).

Nice work on the cowl (as well as the rest of the model) - I'll be using your technique.

Gene K
speedy01 is online now Find More Posts by speedy01
Last edited by speedy01; Aug 18, 2012 at 10:52 PM.