HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 12, 2012, 04:13 PM
Joined Aug 2012
9 Posts
Discussion
Help with an old plane

I dont know much about this just picked it up. The guy said it would run and its from the 60s? Someone told me it was a Mustang. I do not know how to remove the engine cover to see what kind of engine it is. Its about 5 feet long and 5 feet wide. Here are some pictures thanks for any help.
http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/...Picture002.jpg
http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/...Picture004.jpg
http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/...Picture001.jpg
http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/...Picture005.jpg
Pipp is offline Find More Posts by Pipp
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 12, 2012, 04:32 PM
Kentucky
Joined Dec 2008
497 Posts
Nice looking build! Yes, I would say that is a P-51D Mustang.
If it is really that old it might be best to just clean it up and put it on display. Glue, balsa, and coverings can all get brittle over time and it may not be wise to attempt flying.

Start by getting the prop off. I am sure if you poke around enough you will figure how the builder attached the cowl.
Ranandar is offline Find More Posts by Ranandar
Old Aug 12, 2012, 06:07 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
1,486 Posts
If that is from the 60's paint me blue and call me Babe.

It looks like a very early ARF, perhaps from the early 90's. It will all disassemble with simple hand tools.
Eclipse_7 is offline Find More Posts by Eclipse_7
Old Aug 12, 2012, 06:10 PM
Joined Aug 2012
9 Posts
How do I tell? I cant find and screws or anything to unscrew it. I dont see anyway of taking it apart without damaging it
Old Aug 12, 2012, 06:19 PM
Dude, get me some ice cream!
United States, MA, Amherst
Joined Apr 2012
797 Posts
When DID they start making ARFs?
Felt_ripper 23 is offline Find More Posts by Felt_ripper 23
Old Aug 12, 2012, 06:21 PM
I fly 3-C Crash,Crunch,Crumble
USA, NM, Clovis
Joined Feb 2010
1,084 Posts
In the second picture, I see 2 holes in the red at the trailing edge of the wing. In those holes will be some screw of some type, and that is how the wing will come off. As for the cowling, You may have to remove the prop and spinner, and reach in through the front. Hope this helps. Roy
Mr. foambuilder is offline Find More Posts by Mr. foambuilder
Old Aug 12, 2012, 06:23 PM
Joined Aug 2012
9 Posts
What does ARF mean?
Old Aug 12, 2012, 06:25 PM
United States, GA, Grayson
Joined Mar 2008
508 Posts
Almost Ready to Fly.

You basically assemble the components of ARF's as opposed to building a kit from the ground up.

Pipp, look really close at the model. You will see how it goes together.
tripleup05 is offline Find More Posts by tripleup05
Old Aug 12, 2012, 06:36 PM
Joined Aug 2012
9 Posts
I see some screws but there is a 62% chance that if I take this thing apart I will never get it together again lol. It does look to be big pieces and not a bunch of little piece put together
Old Aug 12, 2012, 06:41 PM
I fly 3-C Crash,Crunch,Crumble
USA, NM, Clovis
Joined Feb 2010
1,084 Posts
Trust me, after you rempve the screws, You can lift gently on the trailing edge of the wing, and then slide it back. Yoy will find some dowel pins or tabs holding the leading edge of the wing to the fuselage. Just go slowly, and you will be fine. There will be at least two or three sets of wires to unplug to get it apart also. Roy
Mr. foambuilder is offline Find More Posts by Mr. foambuilder
Old Aug 12, 2012, 06:42 PM
Joined Aug 2012
9 Posts
I will need a screwdriver for that. I will have to go buy one. I have one but its not long enough.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 07:04 PM
Fla.
Joined Apr 2005
979 Posts
BE SURE you mark any wires you disconnect. ENJOY !!! RED
redh is offline Find More Posts by redh
Old Aug 12, 2012, 07:17 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,425 Posts
Just curious, whatch'a planning on DOING with this plane? It's a big standoff-scale glow-powered P-51 that you don't have the tools to disassemble. I can't imagine anyone would want something like it for display purposes

I'll take a shot in the dark that you don't have a whole lot of experience with RC models, so it's a heck of a space-eating paperweight for a pretty good period of time if you're planning to fly it someday.
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Aug 12, 2012, 07:24 PM
Kentucky
Joined Dec 2008
497 Posts
Now you got me curious. If it is not an old kit then what is it? You may want to post those pictures in the Fuel Warbirds forum and ask if anyone can identify it. If it is a newer model then it deserves to fly again.

That being said, this is definitely not a good beginner plane. Hang it from the ceiling and get an inexpensive foamy. With a bit of practice you should be ready for the P51 in a couple years.
Ranandar is offline Find More Posts by Ranandar
Old Aug 12, 2012, 07:28 PM
Joined Aug 2012
9 Posts
I couldnt pass it up for 40 dollars. How many times do you see 5 foot Mustangs up in the rafters at a yard sale. I figured I could atleast get 100 dollars for it lol maybe more.