HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 15, 2012, 12:45 PM
Vtol Builder
High Wycombe, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
997 Posts
StanD- I do have a number of 4 cell packs, and motors that can take 8 cells, so a pair of 4 cell packs might end up being the best compromise - i.e. one in the transom area and one in the cabin. Anyway, I appreciate the comments and thoughts.
Lewist is offline Find More Posts by Lewist
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 24, 2012, 05:12 PM
Vtol Builder
Joined Jul 2004
997 Posts
Hi all, I have been on holiday for a while, so not had a chance to do much on the boat. In the last two days I have managed to do a bit more.

I finished gluing up the frames and chines, and now have started to line the bottom with balsa sheet. I have tried planking in the past and did badly, so decided to try and use single 2 mm thick sheets of balsa. Going well so far. A bit of sanding and a touch of filler in the less neat bits and it should be good.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 05:11 PM
time poor
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2012
137 Posts
Looking good, I had the same problem with the sheets splitting. It's just too much curve. I ended up stopping the sheets at the first frame/station and carving two balsa bow blocks to finish.
the_11th_guest is offline Find More Posts by the_11th_guest
Old Aug 26, 2012, 06:25 PM
no such thing as to many boats
United States, NY, New York
Joined May 2010
2,032 Posts
She's looking good hull came out nice I like the sheet idear instead of strips .
louie R/C NUT is online now Find More Posts by louie R/C NUT
Old Aug 26, 2012, 09:36 PM
United States, VA, McLean
Joined Jul 2012
43 Posts
The hull looks good. I went the plank route on my build, and learned a lot. I've had to take a break on mine to get ready for a beach trip, but I'll be back at it next month. Regarding your battery issue, I think the two split packs might do well amidships, on either side of the motor.

And speaking of batteries, I like your "clamps".
Stan D is offline Find More Posts by Stan D
Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:36 PM
Vtol Builder
Joined Jul 2004
997 Posts
Time for an update!

I have been a bit busy working on my weekend car and going on holidays, so it has been a while.

I have now painted the inside of the hull with resin to protect the balsa. Fitted the motor and made a motor mount. I have also started to fit out the hull for radio gear.

The decks are still to be done, as well as battery location, servo and a few other bits.

The hull has been sealed and primed with some filler primer. It still needs some smoothing and sanding before primer and paint, but it is getting there.

Fake outboard update next.

Thanks

Lewis
Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:40 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,157 Posts
Looking good! What's the "weekend car"?
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:50 PM
Vtol Builder
Joined Jul 2004
997 Posts
I have made a start on the fake outboard motor this evening.

I used some blue foam cut roughly to shape on my scoll saw. I then just went at it with some sand paper. It needs some high build primer and some more sanding. I will probably cut the bottom off it, and insert a brass rudder to reduce drag and improve strength.

Lewis
Old Nov 16, 2012, 05:01 PM
Vtol Builder
Joined Jul 2004
997 Posts
Thanks

A bit off topic, but my weekend car is a Skoda Estelle. Quite heavily fettled!

Last edited by Lewist; Nov 16, 2012 at 05:59 PM.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 05:51 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,157 Posts
Looks like fun!
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:21 AM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
9,199 Posts
Very nice build !

The outboard very well done.
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:15 AM
Joined Dec 2004
3,843 Posts
LEWIST- If I might make a suggestion about the placement of the battery pack in the hull, I would suggest to put the battery under the floor board of the cockpit even if you have to raise the height of the floor over the battery pack.

Also I would fiberglass the out side and inside of the and then you can cut away any frame work inside under the floor that would not let you set the battery in position. I would make the floor board removable even if in two pieces, for battery removal.

The balance point of the boat should be between 1/3rd and 1/2 the length of the hull measuring from the transom. I might also suggest that the next time you design a hull scale for the length of 19’ you move the scale of the model to 1/8th or even 1/6th scale for better placement of the running hardware and radio gear, as well as the better performance of the finished product.

I am very much enthused over the fact that there are modelers out their in this hobby, like your self, that wish to take their skills to the next level. It is like a breath of fresh air to old modelers like myself to realize that just maybe the art of scale modeling won’t die with us. If ever you have a question on anything related to scale model boating, ask for help or information here on the forum. It is possibly the greatest source for information from some truly gifted craftsman & woman.
frankg is offline Find More Posts by frankg
Old Dec 14, 2012, 05:00 PM
Vtol Builder
Joined Jul 2004
997 Posts
Thanks for the comments guy.

I did try to fibreglass the outside of the hull, but it didn't go well, so I basically removed it (easily (I said it didn't go well)) and have sealed the balsa and then filler primed it over the top. Won't be as strong, but this is one of my first scratch builds (that I will actually finish as it is for me and my son) it will do for this time. Plus the FG resin doesn't agree with my lungs (even wearing a mask).

Anyway, bit of an update....

I have started to install the rc gear and do some more work on the fake outboard.

I have soldered up some brass bits of the outboard and started fitting it together.