HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 12, 2012, 04:14 AM
Vtol Builder
High Wycombe, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
997 Posts
Build Log
1/10th Scale Caballero (Mechanix Illustrated)

Hi all

I thought I would do a build log of a boat my son and I are building. Just started it last night, and hope to have it done soon so we can get out and enjoy a bit of the summer before it is all gone.

I was looking around for some free boat plans online, and came across Svensens.com which contains a load free (full sized) boat plans from a 60's (I believe) magazine called Mechanix Illustrated (as well as a few others).

http://www.svensons.com/boat/

There are quite a few cool and funky boat designs in there, but I came across the Caballero with is a 19ft outboard cruiser. I liked the lines, and it looks simple enough in plan. I also liked the idea of faking an outboard on the back so decided that was the boat for me and the boy.

I inserted the drawings into Autocad, traced the hull lines, frames, layouts etc and then scaled it all to the right size. I settled on 1/10th as it works out a nice size for my son and a nice size to store (520mm long).

I then fiddled with the design a bit and plotted the hull frames, keel and chine frames out.

I have used 6 mm hardwood ply for the keel and frames, and 3mm ply for the chines. A bit chunky I know, but the plywood was free so beggars can't be choosers. I will add lots of lightening holes and try and reduce the weight at the front as much as possible to ensure that I can get it ballaned.

For power I plan a 540 motor, ESC and probably a 6 C-Cell pack stashed right at the back.

Any comments would be great.

Thanks

Lewis
Lewist is offline Find More Posts by Lewist
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 12, 2012, 07:06 AM
no such thing as to many boats
Joined May 2010
1,554 Posts
Off to a nice start keep the photos coming
louie R/C NUT is offline Find More Posts by louie R/C NUT
Old Aug 12, 2012, 07:11 AM
Joined Mar 2011
416 Posts
Cool, I have cad drawings I did for that boat just never got around to building it. I did build the Chummy and Banshee though.
Thinking of building a full size Chummy I have a vintage Johnson that would look great on it.
FLYBOB54 is offline Find More Posts by FLYBOB54
Old Aug 12, 2012, 04:50 PM
United States, VA, McLean
Joined Jul 2012
43 Posts
I'd be concerned that the battery, probably the heaviest part, might be better placed closer to the center, as opposed to the rear.
Stan D is offline Find More Posts by Stan D
Old Aug 12, 2012, 05:22 PM
Vtol Builder
Joined Jul 2004
997 Posts
I know the battery location is a bit odd, but there is a big space betteen the back section with the battery and the main body with the cabin and motor. I wanted to keep the scale look with the pasanger space. If I put the batteries up front too, I would never be able to balance it out.

A compromise I know, but a bit of a challenge!
Old Aug 12, 2012, 05:23 PM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
United States, WI, West Allis
Joined May 2007
3,557 Posts
I'm with Stan D on the battery placement. That far back and you have two issues. One the boat will have a tendency to squat in the stern. It may also try to plane at a steep angle. Two your rudder linkage needs to be back there.

If under deck space is a problem you might consider splitting the pack into 3 cell sticks which you could place on either side of the motor. I saw one of our club members do this in the small Midwest Lobster Boat.

Unless you are going to detail the cabin you should have a decent amount of space to access the interior. It does look like a nice little boat.
Prins Willem is offline Find More Posts by Prins Willem
Old Aug 12, 2012, 07:01 PM
time poor
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2012
136 Posts
Good subject choice!
I don't know if you had a look at mine before you started but I think it is interesting that we chose the same scale
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1604455
I'm watching
the_11th_guest is offline Find More Posts by the_11th_guest
Old Aug 13, 2012, 03:20 PM
Vtol Builder
Joined Jul 2004
997 Posts
Ha, great minds and all that! No I hadn't seen your build before starting mine.

I did a bit more tonight, but not much spare time this evening, so no progress to show.

I have a lot of 2x3 saddle packs from RC Car racing, but again, too much weight in the front compartment will make it sit too nose down.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 05:53 PM
Joined Jul 2012
43 Posts
That's why the middle of the boat would be better. And if you have the split packs, one on each side of the motor would be great. And the rudder needs to be at the rear, so I don't see how it and the battery could be there.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 07:23 PM
time poor
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2012
136 Posts
Hey Lewist
I agree your batteries need to be in the cabin. The old plans say -

"-you can't expect good performance with 4 or 5 passengers in her cockpit. Some of you guests should not object to riding in the light and airy cabin in order to hold the boat in her proper trim"

I'm using an outboard but all the batteries will be in the cabin.
the_11th_guest is offline Find More Posts by the_11th_guest
Old Aug 14, 2012, 03:50 PM
Vtol Builder
Joined Jul 2004
997 Posts
I really appreciate the comments guys (and gals).

I think that I am right in the battery location and assocated problems with balance.

The first picture shows the centre of mass on the boat (i believe that is what it is, and its location makes sense.

The second picture indicates the location of battery and motor if all in the cabin. The centre of mass is far to far forward to balance at the indicated point.

The third pictures indicates the location of the battery at the back. This should balance.

As for the servo, it will be mounted in the main cabin and use a flexible pushrod to move a fake outboard/rudder at the back.

If anyone can spot a problem with that, let me know
Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:16 PM
Joined Jul 2012
43 Posts
The weights in that diagram are for the full sized boat. Depending what wood you use, the battery could be heavier than the entire model, not counting motor and servos, and if it isn't, it is certainly close. Compare that to an outboard on a full sized boat, and you'll see that the outboard doesn't come close to a fraction of the weight of the entire boat.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 05:56 AM
Bradford West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Apr 2010
1,532 Posts
Work with the possibility of option three but more likely to be option two. You're probably going to have to use the battery/s as a ballast balance but you'll find this when establishing the waterline in the test tank (Barf).

Regards Ian.
Circlip is offline Find More Posts by Circlip