HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Gravitycheat, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 05:26 PM
Don't give in to gravity
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Dec 2009
1,949 Posts
Discussion
48" RC Factory Sbach 342 - Flight Report

RC Factory 48” Sbach Flight Report

Name: IMG_6852.jpg
Views: 80
Size: 136.7 KB
Description:
Set-Up
I am running the 78g 2810/1100 from Twisted Hobbys, the Twisted Hobbys 45Amp ESC, the Tower Pro 18.8g servos and an 11 x5.5 propeller.

A note on this motor and prop combo: I tried 3 different motors and a variety of
props, trying to get to the correct power to weight ratio. What I found to offer the best power, is the TH 78g motor with an 11 x 5.5 electric prop. The slow fly props I tried did not offer the desired power that the plain electric does. I am running 1800Mah 3s 40c

A Note on the Tower Pro 18.8 g servos: These servo’s are performing great. They offer the speed and the torque required for the extreme 3D and the abuse, this plane, was designed to endure. With the stock arms that TP provide, I get 45+ degrees of throw to the rudder, approximately 30 degrees to the elevator and approximately 20 degrees to the ailerons. For sport and basic 3D flying this is adequate. For those looking for EXTREME performance, Twisted Hobbys will soon offer an extended servo arm which will provide enough aileron deflection to turn the Sbach into a rolling/snapping/blendering etcc. monster. They should be available soon from TH.
Name: IMG_6922 (640x427).jpg
Views: 101
Size: 123.6 KB
Description: Name: IMG_6923.jpg
Views: 80
Size: 167.6 KB
Description: Name: IMG_6924.jpg
Views: 63
Size: 225.5 KB
Description:
A note on Expo: Lot’s of opinions out there on the use of Expo and I am no expert, but I will offer my thoughts on its use and how I feel my flying benefits from it. I think that my flying is smoother by using Expo because it allows me to have maximum throws, for being extreme, but keeps it “tame” on the low end for the less extreme flying. I run 35% on aileron and elevator and 60% on the rudder.

CG
My CG is at about 110mm back from the leading edge of the wing. I find it to flys fairly neutral both inverted and upright.
Name: IMG_6925.jpg
Views: 73
Size: 183.7 KB
Description:
First Impressions:
Very cool printing and very vivid colors. Ok, so pink would not be a color I picked for a plane but it seems to work with the black. It is also easy to see in the sky. The EPP is very rigid as well. Even the rudder which is a thinner EPP than the fuselage, is holding up well to my abuse. Whatever RCF does to their EPP, to create that stiffness, they do it well!

Flying The Plane:
My Sbach was underpowered for the first few flights ( TH did not have the 78G Motor available yet),so during those flights., it was hard for me to get a good feel for it’s flying characteristics. Once I had the proper power to weight ratio…..WOW. It was like a whole new plane. Just goes to show the importance of having the proper set-up.

One of the first things I noticed when flying the Sbach is that it feels “Big” in the air. I think that is because it has the inertia to perform maneuvers such as tumbles and snaps better than the smaller EPP models I’m used to. With the smaller 8oz models you feel like your flying an 8oz plane. When flying the Sbach, you get the feel of a model that has more weight behind it than the 24oz plane that it is.

As much as I enjoy flying EPP, I always feel like I’m cheating a little when flying EPP because the “fear factor” is so much less knowing that if I dumb thumb it, a little welders will have me back in the air. This plane has such a balsa feel to it that I find myself forgetting it’s EPP and I have to remind myself that I can go ahead and push it, I can fly a little lower, drag the rudder, come of out of that blender a little lower. Well, You get the idea.

The flights I get on the Sbach the more I am appreciating its preciseness. You feel it the minute you put it into a KE and it just locks into it with very little input needed to hold it, or when you do a nice slow roll or point roll.
Name: IMG_6911.jpg
Views: 58
Size: 145.8 KB
Description:
The Sbach harriers great as well. Wing rock is very easy to minimize. And Inverted flight is just plain awesome in fact it begs to be inverted. It locks into an inverted harrier like no other plane I have flown .

For those of you that like doing walls or flying in low, at high speed and popping into a hover, You’ll really appreciate the fact that you can yank full elevator at any speed and there is no tendency to snap. It just pops up and stands up on it’s tail, add a little throttle and your hovering,Name: IMG_6884.jpg
Views: 56
Size: 96.4 KB
Description: add a little wind and your torque rolling down the runway. It’s just a fun plane to fly.
So, if your looking for a sport plane, an IMAC trainer, a sweet pattern ship or a 3D monster, this plane can be set up to accommodate all type of flying.

Repairing The Plane:
I let a friend fly the Sbach after I bonked it in pretty hard. Apparently I knocked the elevator linkage lose, he lost elevator at 50 feet and lawn darted it in. My fault for not checking it over after I abused it. It tore the wing, tore the bracing foam and knocked the motor loose. About 20 minutes and some welders I was ready to go again. Just a testament to why I love flying EPP and why they are so helpful weather learning to fly, learning 3D, practicing IMAC etc.

What I don’t Like:
I don’t like the angle that the aileron control rod is at when installing the servo as recommended. Next time I will lay the serve down, instead of standing it up in the wing. I also do not like having ball link connectors on both ends of the aileron control rods. I like having a mechanical adjustment and was able to obtain that by substituting a quick connector. I also would prefer to see ABS plastic or fiber glass wheel pants. These items could be added with very little cost and very little weight.

Overall Impression :
At $139.99 some think it is a bit pricey for EPP. I thought that back when I bought my first 44” EPP from TH. But, of the two 44” planes that size, that I have had for going on two years, one is still in my hanger and the other was given to a friend who is now enjoying it. My point is that they last forever. I figure that the PPF (Price Per Flight) is about.0346. That’s a bargin! The Sbach is easy to build, Would be a good trainer for the newer pilot, a fun sport plane, a fantastic 3D plane and would make an awesome IMAC/Pattern trainer.

Just an all around fun plane.

Shawn
Gravitycheat is offline Find More Posts by Gravitycheat
Last edited by Gravitycheat; Aug 10, 2012 at 06:08 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2012, 03:44 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,423 Posts
Good report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravitycheat View Post
[B][SIZE="4"]What I found to offer the best power, is the TH 78g motor with an 11 x 5.5 electric prop. The slow fly props I tried did not offer the desired power that the plain electric does.
On a different profile/epp plane, I found that the slow flyer props caused the motor to get hotter than the slightly higher pitched plain electric props did. 11x5.5 was better than 11x4.7, 10x5 was better than 10x4.7.
7oneWo1f is online now Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Dec 30, 2013, 12:18 PM
Joined Dec 2013
2 Posts
Flight time?

I know I'm ressurecting an old thread here, but can anyone tell me what flight times you are getting on this plane (also would be nice to know what mAh battery that flight time was for)? I'm building one and trying to decide what size batteries I want to buy. I'm looking at 2200mAh but wanted to hear some flight times first...

Thanks
h20man is offline Find More Posts by h20man
Old Dec 30, 2013, 03:25 PM
Asheville,NC
Joined Jun 2002
829 Posts
Battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20man View Post
I know I'm ressurecting an old thread here, but can anyone tell me what flight times you are getting on this plane (also would be nice to know what mAh battery that flight time was for)? I'm building one and trying to decide what size batteries I want to buy. I'm looking at 2200mAh but wanted to hear some flight times first...

Thanks
I have 2200's in mine
Tom Eutsler is offline Find More Posts by Tom Eutsler
Old Dec 31, 2013, 10:55 PM
Joined Dec 2013
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Eutsler View Post
I have 2200's in mine
What kinda flight times you getting?
h20man is offline Find More Posts by h20man