HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 17, 2012, 07:20 AM
Norwich,UK
Joined Feb 2006
1,254 Posts
on the XYZ-S I have never had wag on a 450 with the gain too high the tail jumps position rather than move smoothly with the stick I dropped the gain a touch and it's a very nice feeling gyro hopefully the servo change will rectify yours.
Gaz-b is offline Find More Posts by Gaz-b
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2012, 07:27 AM
Mildly Confused
UK
Joined Oct 2008
1,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz-b View Post
on the XYZ-S I have never had wag on a 450 with the gain too high the tail jumps position rather than move smoothly with the stick I dropped the gain a touch and it's a very nice feeling gyro hopefully the servo change will rectify yours.
Nope the servo change made no difference. I move my standard ZYX from my 500 thinking maybe I had a dodgy sensor in the ZYXs. Again no difference. I'm no going to swap the gyros back again, I'll put the ZYXs onto the 500 instead now. I traced the problem to the tail pitch slider. it has a small amount of slop in the systenm and was sticking on the tail rotor output shaft. The gyro was trying to compensate for this resulting in the wag. The solution was to use my old T-Rex 600N ptich slidernand tail hub. It's not fancy aluminium or particularly shiny but it does work. My helicopter now flys as smooth as butter. Still I could have done without the expense of buying another servo but it works very nicely so I'm not too saddened by it.
Paul 1968 is online now Find More Posts by Paul 1968
Old Oct 17, 2012, 07:28 AM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,559 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul 1968 View Post
Nope the servo change made no difference. I move my standard ZYX from my 500 thinking maybe I had a dodgy sensor in the ZYXs. Again no difference. I'm no going to swap the gyros back again, I'll put the ZYXs onto the 500 instead now. I traced the problem to the tail pitch slider. it has a small amount of slop in the systenm and was sticking on the tail rotor output shaft. The gyro was trying to compensate for this resulting in the wag. The solution was to use my old T-Rex 600N ptich slidernand tail hub. It's not fancy aluminium or particularly shiny but it does work. My helicopter now flys as smooth as butter. Still I could have done without the expense of buying another servo but it works very nicely so I'm not too saddened by it.
Sounds like you might need another heli for that spare tail servo!
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hk500 tt fbl
Old Oct 17, 2012, 07:53 AM
Mildly Confused
UK
Joined Oct 2008
1,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Doggs View Post
Sounds like you might need another heli for that spare tail servo!
Behave.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 12:39 PM
Norwich,UK
Joined Feb 2006
1,254 Posts
Did you find the tail thrust bearing to be useless the outer on mine which should rotate inside the blade grip was a tight press fit fitting align bearings resolved this issue.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 12:44 PM
Mildly Confused
UK
Joined Oct 2008
1,263 Posts
No mine seems fine. I've gone back through my tail and put the original hub and grips back on, just using the Align pitch slider and yoke assembly. The model runs turbine smooth now, not a wobble or a shake to be seen anywhere. With minimal effort I now have a very nice smooth heli. Even without having the parts on hand it would still have been a relatively inexpensive fix.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 01:18 PM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
3,899 Posts
Quote:
No mine seems fine. I've gone back through my tail and put the original hub and grips back on, just using the Align pitch slider and yoke assembly. The model runs turbine smooth now, not a wobble or a shake to be seen anywhere. With minimal effort I now have a very nice smooth heli. Even without having the parts on hand it would still have been a relatively inexpensive fix.
Paul,

Have you used everything from the HK kit (other than the slider) or have you replaced other parts as well.

Cheers,
Mike.
MikeHRC is online now Find More Posts by MikeHRC
Old Oct 17, 2012, 01:31 PM
Mildly Confused
UK
Joined Oct 2008
1,263 Posts
Hi Mike. My model (mechanically) is 100% stock with the exception of the slider. The only other changes are the canopy, landing skids, canopy standoffs, motor mount (for ease of mesh adjustments) and swash plate anti rotation guide (because it's shiny ). These changes were simply for the aesthetics and personalization. I've put a couple of packs through it for testing purposes and setting up, which if I was honest only took about a quarter of a pack. Time will of course tell on the longevity of the model but everything seems tight and slop free so far.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 09:19 PM
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Mar 2011
250 Posts
One thing I found in mine is that the crappy glue(threadlock) that HK uses was in my thrust bearings. So I took them all out and cleaned them with nitro force. Regreased them and reassembled. Good as new now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz-b View Post
Did you find the tail thrust bearing to be useless the outer on mine which should rotate inside the blade grip was a tight press fit fitting align bearings resolved this issue.
mrmj2u is offline Find More Posts by mrmj2u
Old Oct 17, 2012, 09:20 PM
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Mar 2011
250 Posts
Can't wait to see some video of your build!

Quote:
Hi Mike. My model (mechanically) is 100% stock with the exception of the slider. The only other changes are the canopy, landing skids, canopy standoffs, motor mount (for ease of mesh adjustments) and swash plate anti rotation guide (because it's shiny ). These changes were simply for the aesthetics and personalization. I've put a couple of packs through it for testing purposes and setting up, which if I was honest only took about a quarter of a pack. Time will of course tell on the longevity of the model but everything seems tight and slop free so far.
mrmj2u is offline Find More Posts by mrmj2u
Old Oct 18, 2012, 02:21 AM
Mildly Confused
UK
Joined Oct 2008
1,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmj2u View Post
Can't wait to see some video of your build!
Hopefully the forecast will be good at he weekend. I'll try to get some video for you.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 07:29 AM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,559 Posts
Quote:
Hopefully the forecast will be good at he weekend. I'll try to get some video for you.
He said the build! So you need to strip it back down and video the re-build, the next best thing!

Look forward to your video, maybe with some Yorkshire landmark in there for reference.....
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hk500 tt fbl
Old Oct 18, 2012, 07:38 AM
Mildly Confused
UK
Joined Oct 2008
1,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Doggs View Post
He said the build! So you need to strip it back down and video the re-build, the next best thing!

Look forward to your video, maybe with some Yorkshire landmark in there for reference.....
Strip it back down down as for the flight video, I'll do my best, we might even get Drax and Eggborough power stations in the frame, we'll see.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 07:53 AM
Norwich,UK
Joined Feb 2006
1,254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmj2u View Post
One thing I found in mine is that the crappy glue(threadlock) that HK uses was in my thrust bearings. So I took them all out and cleaned them with nitro force. Regreased them and reassembled. Good as new now!
Well it's good to know mine was rogue and not the way they are.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 09:43 AM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
3,899 Posts
Quote:
as for the flight video, I'll do my best, we might even get Drax and Eggborough power stations in the frame, we'll see.
Very glamorous
MikeHRC is online now Find More Posts by MikeHRC