SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 11, 2012, 06:05 PM
AMA# 548800
United States, CT, Trumbull
Joined Dec 2007
5,176 Posts
How long do I need to wait till someone gets one of these puppies . I need the rundown on it now
jombo is offline Find More Posts by jombo
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2012, 06:20 PM
Mildly Confused
UK
Joined Oct 2008
1,459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jombo View Post
How long do I need to wait till someone gets one of these puppies . I need the rundown on it now
mrmj2u has one already. Have a look at his blog. He has found a couple of small issues which need attention. We'll see if I have the same problems with mine when it finally arrives.

Paul
Paul 1968 is offline Find More Posts by Paul 1968
Old Sep 11, 2012, 06:59 PM
AMA# 548800
Joined Dec 2007
5,176 Posts
Cool , I will check it out .

Update:
I looked at the build and it's a typical HK first run .
Everyone here buy 2 or 3 each to get the first run so I can get the new and improved version next year
Last edited by jombo; Sep 11, 2012 at 07:17 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 05:34 AM
Joined Dec 2011
3,320 Posts
If they offered it in FBL with belt I'd pull the trigger right now.

Don't know why people are spending $15 for cheapo junk servos when you can get Hitec HS-5485's for $24 and actually have a reliable servo with a warranty on it.
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Old Sep 12, 2012, 09:59 AM
Need More PURPLE !!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2012
3,713 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Skull View Post

Don't know why people are spending $15 for cheapo junk servos when you can get Hitec HS-5485's for $24 and actually have a reliable servo with a warranty on it.
Just buy a 550gt and put a fbl head on it. ......or just ask hk to swap out a head for you.
Dejavu*Xion is offline Find More Posts by Dejavu*Xion
Old Sep 12, 2012, 11:52 AM
Joined Nov 2011
408 Posts
Quote:

That is one hell of a slow servo. I thought I was back in the 80's when I saw the speed !!!
Speed: 0.20sec/60 degrees at 4.8V
The Valkman is offline Find More Posts by The Valkman
Old Sep 12, 2012, 04:25 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Valkman View Post
That is one hell of a slow servo. I thought I was back in the 80's when I saw the speed !!!
Speed: 0.20sec/60 degrees at 4.8V
.17 at 6v is enough for a sport machine in a 550 FBL. People have found that .16 works just fine in an FBL 450 too. Torque is far more important with FBL than speed. With a flybar no matter how fast your servos were cyclic inputs were damped by the flybar, this is not the case with FBL where it's all on your servos. If you are doing outrageous smackdown 3D you probably want something faster if you're doing scale, sport and soft 3D those servos will work just fine and are better for the average pilot than higher speed el cheapo junk servos that aren't going to offer any performance advantage with the average radio setup anyway but which will definitely be at a disadvantage in reliability and safety.
Last edited by Atomic Skull; Sep 12, 2012 at 06:42 PM.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 02:09 PM
Joined Sep 2010
484 Posts
Quote:
.17 at 6v is enough for a sport machine in a 550 FBL. People have found that .16 works just fine in an FBL 450 too. Torque is far more important with FBL than speed. With a flybar no matter how fast your servos were cyclic inputs were damped by the flybar, this is not the case with FBL where it's all on your servos. If you are doing outrageous smackdown 3D you probably want something faster if you're doing scale, sport and soft 3D those servos will work just fine and are better for the average pilot than higher speed el cheapo junk servos that aren't going to offer any performance advantage with the average radio setup anyway but which will definitely be at a disadvantage in reliability and safety.
Flybarless unit dampen your servo speed alot too, the same as a flybar, only the gyro itself use the full speed of your servo, the faster they are, the better the unit will work and more stable your heli will be.
martin_ is offline Find More Posts by martin_
Old Sep 14, 2012, 02:23 AM
Just fly
Australia, VIC, Glen Waverley
Joined Jan 2011
2,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_ View Post
Flybarless unit dampen your servo speed alot too, the same as a flybar, only the gyro itself use the full speed of your servo, the faster they are, the better the unit will work and more stable your heli will be.
Even though I dont own a FLB unit I have to agree as I thought the same
evltoy is offline Find More Posts by evltoy
Old Sep 14, 2012, 09:36 AM
Joined Sep 2010
484 Posts
To add to that, all good flybarless unit have a parameter for cyclic speed in order to tune your heli to your liking.
martin_ is offline Find More Posts by martin_
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:28 AM
Joined Nov 2011
408 Posts
I think I would put in faster servos all the same. Yes it will fly with a slow servo but how good? With all the factors including the FBL controller in the chain of control I think a faster servo will be a good link in case of the "Ops" factor
The Valkman is offline Find More Posts by The Valkman
Old Sep 15, 2012, 06:32 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Valkman View Post
I think I would put in faster servos all the same. Yes it will fly with a slow servo but how good? With all the factors including the FBL controller in the chain of control I think a faster servo will be a good link in case of the "Ops" factor
How about this:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14834

It's really a relabled Blue Arrow DMS47003MG.

On helifreak there was a thread about these where someone said they were told directly by Blue Arrow to not run these at over 280hz.

The smaller version of those are compatible with 9257 gears, so while there are no direct gear replacements for those I bet they're compatible with something.

I was wrong HK has gear sets for the Mi servos now.

With the smaller ones you have to fix the top bearing in the case because it's a little loose, don;t know if the standard sized ones are also like this.
Last edited by Atomic Skull; Sep 15, 2012 at 10:44 PM.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 12:55 AM
Need More PURPLE !!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2012
3,713 Posts
Times up paul. That Kit come in yet ? Or do i have to go to china With brass knuckles to get this show on the road .
Dejavu*Xion is offline Find More Posts by Dejavu*Xion
Last edited by Dejavu*Xion; Sep 24, 2012 at 07:58 PM.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 05:52 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,841 Posts
Quote:
How about this:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14834

It's really a relabled Blue Arrow DMS47003MG.

On helifreak there was a thread about these where someone said they were told directly by Blue Arrow to not run these at over 280hz.

The smaller version of those are compatible with 9257 gears, so while there are no direct gear replacements for those I bet they're compatible with something.

I was wrong HK has gear sets for the Mi servos now.

With the smaller ones you have to fix the top bearing in the case because it's a little loose, don;t know if the standard sized ones are also like this.
Since we're talking about cyclic use, they should be fine - although cheap controllers like the CX 3x1000 and Tarot XYZ don't let you know what frequency the cyclic servos are being driven at. I would guess it's 200Hz - but I'd like to hear from anyone that actually knows!
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Sep 25, 2012, 06:56 PM
AMA# 548800
Joined Dec 2007
5,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Doggs View Post
- but I'd like to hear from anyone that actually knows!
All I knows is I'll have another BEER

Well I started my 550 , still looks like a chopped 600 LOL