SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 28, 2013, 02:19 PM
United Kingdom, England
Joined Nov 2012
73 Posts
I didn't hide the currency, there is a on every field .

The motor is working fine so far, more than capable of supplying the power I need for my flying with the 550 blades

Endolf
Endolf is offline Find More Posts by Endolf
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2013, 02:48 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmj2u View Post
Check out my build log on my blog. I posted a cost list.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=66
Thanks for that list, very informative. It looks like the Align kit is the better deal if you have to replace all those parts. And there's no way I'm buying all those premium electronics you got. There should be some decent middle of the road motors,esc,etc I can get for half that price or less. And I would use a zyx-s or 3gx used, or robird, all those are under $100. A budget heli should get budget equipment, or I might as well not bother and get the premium. I don't mind changing a few parts out to Align at the start, but not more than $50 worth or I might as well ket the Align kit if I spend much more than that. Honestly, if you changed that much metal out to Align, it's an Align heli. Who cares about the static bits like frame and such as long as they are straight and sturdy. there's no way I would spend $1000 on an HK550 if I can have the Align 550 for $1200.

Am I understanding this correctly?
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72
Old Feb 28, 2013, 06:24 PM
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Mar 2011
266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahram72 View Post
Thanks for that list, very informative. It looks like the Align kit is the better deal if you have to replace all those parts. And there's no way I'm buying all those premium electronics you got. There should be some decent middle of the road motors,esc,etc I can get for half that price or less. And I would use a zyx-s or 3gx used, or robird, all those are under $100. A budget heli should get budget equipment, or I might as well not bother and get the premium. I don't mind changing a few parts out to Align at the start, but not more than $50 worth or I might as well ket the Align kit if I spend much more than that. Honestly, if you changed that much metal out to Align, it's an Align heli. Who cares about the static bits like frame and such as long as they are straight and sturdy. there's no way I would spend $1000 on an HK550 if I can have the Align 550 for $1200.

Am I understanding this correctly?
I agree, the Align is the better deal in my opinion. I've built several budget helis and they never worked the way they should. The setup of the cheaper electronics is much more cumbersome and the servos never seem to center correctly. So I've decided that when it comes to helis, I need to spend the money or not build them at all.
mrmj2u is offline Find More Posts by mrmj2u
Old Feb 28, 2013, 06:33 PM
USA, KY, Florence
Joined Aug 2007
3,078 Posts
If money was no object I would build a Synergy E6/E7.

You could get a used one and put cheaper electronics on it, but that would be sacrilege.
fpainter3 is offline Find More Posts by fpainter3
Old Feb 28, 2013, 07:03 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,774 Posts
One of my fellow club members has a Synergy E7, very nice machine. So smooth and quiet. Very precision machine. He has a nice Align 550FBL that he mentioned would be looking for a new owner soon, but I am honestly afraid to ask him how much. He puts good gear on his helis. I would be willing to offer him $600 for it, but that would probably insult him. I think that's a lot for used stuff, but spending much more I might as well build new.

On another front, last night I figured out my next build out of my many kits. Definitely not my HK250 that I am sure will not fly anyway, and not my HK450 TT FBL that probably will fly, but my Trex 450 Sport. I wanted FBL so last night I found the genuine Align DFC head kit for this heli on sale for $35 and bought it. Same blue color. This super combo was a gift from my dad but it is flybar. So now I can build it as a DFC, but it's going to have a boom mounted tail servo!. I am going to use an Align 3G (remember, I just put around, no 3D, it's fine, I don't need a V-bar). And then I have a spare Align head for my other helis, and an Align GP780 for my HK250 when I am ready for a new frustration.

Yes, I collect stuff.
Old Mar 05, 2013, 07:24 AM
United Kingdom, England
Joined Nov 2012
73 Posts
Went out with the hk550fbl again yesterday having replaced the rear tail box with an align one. It wasn't as windy as it has been, but it would have had the 'snap roll right' issue, which seems to have gone for now. The bearings in the tail box were loose in the side plates, they were fine initially, but I guess the metal is soft and had worn. Updated the spreadsheet to show the cost of this too.

Endolf
Old Apr 22, 2013, 07:20 PM
Low rates are for wimps
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined May 2008
3,440 Posts
Just maidened the heli today. It's been a looooong winter!

Anyways, using a Robird G31, Turnigy T600 motor, YEP 100A ESC (all governed using the Robird) I had a great couple of flights. Looks like there's some vibrations that I'll have to work out, and I suspect the stock shaft may have some fit issues! The tail held okay, but felt sloppy with a slow wag. I'll sort out the vibes and then work on the gains.

Overall, I'm happy with how it flies - power etc. I won't have a solid feel for it until I get the tail gain sorted out.
bwoollia is offline Find More Posts by bwoollia
Old Apr 23, 2013, 02:14 AM
Never trust laughing dolphins
Joined Feb 2011
2,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Doggs View Post
Since we're talking about cyclic use, they should be fine - although cheap controllers like the CX 3x1000 and Tarot XYZ don't let you know what frequency the cyclic servos are being driven at. I would guess it's 200Hz - but I'd like to hear from anyone that actually knows!
It's probably between 50hz and 200hz max. Good enough for slower digital servos.
PHMX is offline Find More Posts by PHMX
Old Apr 23, 2013, 03:15 AM
United Kingdom, England
Joined Nov 2012
73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoollia View Post
Just maidened the heli today. It's been a looooong winter!

Anyways, using a Robird G31, Turnigy T600 motor, YEP 100A ESC (all governed using the Robird) I had a great couple of flights. Looks like there's some vibrations that I'll have to work out, and I suspect the stock shaft may have some fit issues! The tail held okay, but felt sloppy with a slow wag. I'll sort out the vibes and then work on the gains.

Overall, I'm happy with how it flies - power etc. I won't have a solid feel for it until I get the tail gain sorted out.
Keep an eye on the tail shaft bearings, after about 1/2 a dozen flights mine ended up lose inside their holders in the tail box and that gave me some nasty snap rolls in flight (I think it produced vibes that sent the beastx nuts). I had to replace my tail with an align one. Also keep an eye on the swash, mine is showing signs of wear now, the 2 halfs are not tight against each other now, if I lift the heli by it's blades the top 1/2 of the swash lifts a small amount (maybe 1mm)

Endolf
Old Apr 23, 2013, 09:55 AM
Low rates are for wimps
Joined May 2008
3,440 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endolf View Post
Keep an eye on the tail shaft bearings, after about 1/2 a dozen flights mine ended up lose inside their holders in the tail box and that gave me some nasty snap rolls in flight (I think it produced vibes that sent the beastx nuts). I had to replace my tail with an align one. Also keep an eye on the swash, mine is showing signs of wear now, the 2 halfs are not tight against each other now, if I lift the heli by it's blades the top 1/2 of the swash lifts a small amount (maybe 1mm)

Endolf
Thanks, I'll keep my eye out for that. Everything seems smooth so far - after two flights mind you.
Old May 27, 2013, 04:57 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,393 Posts
Eventually I just ended up getting a used (and only hovered once) Align 550 V1 airframe with a BL600M motor for the same or less than it would have cost for the HK550 and Align replacements.
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Old May 31, 2013, 04:46 PM
Low rates are for wimps
Joined May 2008
3,440 Posts
Here's a flight video from mine. I'm going to agree that the benefits from doing this kit aren't all that great. Doing it over again, I'd go Align. It was fun to put together, selecting my own components and all, but there are too many things "wrong" with it. Two stars out of five.

HK550TT FBL Flight Testing with the Robird G31 (4 min 37 sec)
Old May 31, 2013, 05:45 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,774 Posts
Looks good to me. A few parts is still way cheaper. I'm gonna try the stock main gear, I have three of them. I have Align front tail gears so the weak ones will be in the back where they are easier to replace.
Old May 31, 2013, 06:00 PM
Low rates are for wimps
Joined May 2008
3,440 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahram72 View Post
Looks good to me. A few parts is still way cheaper. I'm gonna try the stock main gear, I have three of them. I have Align front tail gears so the weak ones will be in the back where they are easier to replace.
My main gear was drilled off centre, so at best it would have caused vibration, at worst stripped. My autorotation gear seems to be centred, but has a wobble. It's also a V1 style gear which are hard to find so I'll likely have to replace that whole assembly eventually.

I'm not completely disappointed with the kit, it just cost way more than planned.
Old May 31, 2013, 10:10 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,774 Posts
Yeah, if I had to do again, I would do Align or maybe even KDS, but I had some credit to use from a returned bum 9xr radio so I got this and now I gotta make the best of it. The plus side is that it's easy to replace parts as needed with Align, but I am sure some of the Hobbyking parts are fine.