HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:48 PM
Just fly
Australia, VIC, Glen Waverley
Joined Jan 2011
2,103 Posts
Thanks for the info. I thought I did read somewhere last year that EC5's were reconmended... I guess there is no harm in asking.

I'm only going to have 4x 6s 5000 lipos for this 550 and I want to get into para charging for this lipo set.
evltoy is offline Find More Posts by evltoy
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:44 AM
Mildly Confused
UK
Joined Oct 2008
1,403 Posts
I'm currently using 5.5mm bullets on my 550 and 600 batteries. The only reason is because the Turnigy and Zippy batteries are supplied pre fitted with them. Connecting them makes me twitch though as there is significant arcing. I'm not a fan of soldering the barge rope wires on these big batteries but I do plan on changing to EC5's at the earliest opportunity, but I'm going to need a bigger soldering iron.

By the way, anybody noticed how quiet these two 550 threads are. Either HK haven't sold any ore those of us that have them aren't having any issues. Mine has had lots of air time and so far has been 100% reliable. (There you go I've just gone and jinxed it ).
Paul 1968 is offline Find More Posts by Paul 1968
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:52 AM
Low rates are for wimps
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined May 2008
3,403 Posts
Mine is coming together well, I'm expecting servos and an ESC to arrive this week and I'll finish the build off. A few very minor issues, overall I'm more impressed with the kit the more I work with it.
bwoollia is online now Find More Posts by bwoollia
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:09 AM
RC is healthy for your brains!
Italy, Lombardy, Milan
Joined Nov 2012
70 Posts
Hi! Possibly also xt90 could do the work. Basically always remind that any connector should offer round, bullet male poles, as the theory of current flow suggests that to have the lowest flow resistance and associated surface heat generated is achieved by having a perfectly circular carrier.
I wonder if xt60 are adequate since they are rated for 60 amps steady. May be it is too low, this should be double checked with the veteran guys.
.Superfly. is offline Find More Posts by .Superfly.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:25 AM
United Kingdom, England
Joined Nov 2012
71 Posts
Hi

My 550 is getting a hobbywing 100a ESC and the motors I'm looking at are around the 90a sustained 150a burst, xt60s are not even close, xt90 would be pushing it, the EC5s are rating to 120a sustained from what I've read.

Endolf
Endolf is offline Find More Posts by Endolf
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:37 AM
Italy, Lombardy, Milan
Joined Nov 2012
70 Posts
Yes, I couldn't put it better myself.
I wasn't aware about the current draw requirements, so the EC family seems to be the sturdiest design at present. My finger feeling experience with the EC3 is that it is very easy to handle, xt connectors are a bit more tight to operate, too.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:05 AM
United Kingdom, England
Joined Nov 2012
71 Posts
EC3 are also 60a like the xt60s.

Endolf
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:49 AM
Italy, Lombardy, Milan
Joined Nov 2012
70 Posts
Oh yes, I just cut corners there while typing, I meant that the general design of the EC family has an easier grip (because the two round plastic bodies are carved in, unlike the flat surface of the XT family).
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:50 AM
USA, KY, Florence
Joined Aug 2007
3,075 Posts
All of my helicopters- 450s and 600s use the deans connectors. I have never had a problem. Am I wrong in that assumption?
fpainter3 is offline Find More Posts by fpainter3
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:06 AM
United Kingdom, England
Joined Nov 2012
71 Posts
Deans themselves publish no data that I can find on the rating of their connectors. The ultra (normal rather than micro deans) seem to be interpreted differently by different people. Some claim to be using them on 700 sized machines pulling over 100a continuous quite happily and returning with cool connectors (the rating is pretty much about heat dissipation). The claim on the Deans website is less resistance than 12awg wire, which means 40a. I have seen sites selling them stating ratings of 100a and 50a. It looks like deans just don't have the information available.

If you using them fine and are happy with them, then I don't see any evidence to suggest you need to change them.

I wouldn't pick them by choice for my 550 though.

Endolf
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:38 PM
Mildly Confused
UK
Joined Oct 2008
1,403 Posts
Given the heavy gauge wire used on the big 5000 packs I have discounted Deans connectors altogether. It's almost impossible to get enough heat into the solder joint (for me at least) without destroying the connector in the process. That said my iron is a little on the small side @ 35watt for the job. For me it's likely to be EC5's or XT90's. I'll have to change sooner rather than later, after yesterdays flying session I was removing my last pack from the model and accidentally allowed the bullets to make contact, Murphys law dictated that a tiny bit of exposed connector made contact. After a loud crack and flash then a change of underpants I found a small crescent burned into the female connector and a groove has appeared in the side of the male. Thankfully the battery is ok but it certainly gives food for thought.
Paul 1968 is offline Find More Posts by Paul 1968
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:18 PM
Italy, Lombardy, Milan
Joined Nov 2012
70 Posts
Actually, on a side note... since the batteries are delivered with the bullet connectors, why is it that we should change them into a EC or XT or deans connector?
Can we not keep the two leads separate and connect them one at a time?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:25 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,710 Posts
I use bullet connectors on all my 450 batteries, and hook them up that way. It's just a slight inconvenience, compared with a twin lead, though you do need to be wary of shorting the leads out.
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:59 PM
Just fly
Australia, VIC, Glen Waverley
Joined Jan 2011
2,103 Posts
Looks like I'll be going with the EC5 on the 550. Now I'll have to make up some charge leads and get the cool fused para board wih the built in EC5s

Thanks for the info guys.
evltoy is offline Find More Posts by evltoy
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:23 AM
Low rates are for wimps
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined May 2008
3,403 Posts
First of the build videos. There will likely be only two.

HK550TT FBL Build Video: Part I (13 min 58 sec)
bwoollia is online now Find More Posts by bwoollia