HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 24, 2012, 03:17 PM
Mildly Confused
UK
Joined Oct 2008
1,371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhills51 View Post
And the kit above is to convert your Nitro to electric.
Yeah, noticed that mate, hence my edit. I'm having one of my thicky days today.. Some days I'm just not too bright,
Paul 1968 is online now Find More Posts by Paul 1968
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2012, 03:22 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
11,768 Posts
We all have those. I'm living one lol!
mhills51 is online now Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 26, 2012, 12:19 PM
Mildly Confused
UK
Joined Oct 2008
1,371 Posts
Buddy code for 550 batteries should anybody need it.

http://www.hobbyking.com/buddy.asp?c...0-757BAE70472D

Paul
Old Nov 08, 2012, 03:56 PM
Low rates are for wimps
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined May 2008
3,236 Posts
I did a quick video of what's in the box - the build video is in progress. It probably won't be up for a few weeks, I'm still waiting for some parts.

HK550GT FBL - What's in the Box! (7 min 18 sec)
bwoollia is online now Find More Posts by bwoollia
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 08, 2012, 04:07 PM
Mildly Confused
UK
Joined Oct 2008
1,371 Posts
I watched your video yesterday. Which parts are you waiting for? Mines 99.9% stock apart from aesthetics. The only "required" upgrades on my particular model were the tail pitch slider, I replaced the tail blade grips just because I had a set of Align grips in my "bits" box. Mechanically the rest of my model is stock.

I see you canopy is supplied damaged, mine is in great shape. It's still in the box though as I have a nice glass canopy fitted. You're certainly right regards "fromage" quality, it'll do as an emergency backup though should the worst happen.

Great video, keep 'em coming.

Paul
Old Nov 08, 2012, 04:32 PM
Low rates are for wimps
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined May 2008
3,236 Posts
Thanks! The parts I'm waiting for are all electronics: ESC, servos and so forth. I should have the video finished in a couple of weeks.
bwoollia is online now Find More Posts by bwoollia
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 09, 2012, 09:53 AM
Smoke em ' If ya got em
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2012
3,387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul 1968 View Post
Nope the servo change made no difference. I move my standard ZYX from my 500 thinking maybe I had a dodgy sensor in the ZYXs. Again no difference. I'm no going to swap the gyros back again, I'll put the ZYXs onto the 500 instead now. I traced the problem to the tail pitch slider. it has a small amount of slop in the systenm and was sticking on the tail rotor output shaft. The gyro was trying to compensate for this resulting in the wag. The solution was to use my old T-Rex 600N ptich slidernand tail hub. It's not fancy aluminium or particularly shiny but it does work. My helicopter now flys as smooth as butter. Still I could have done without the expense of buying another servo but it works very nicely so I'm not too saddened by it.
Yes Paul, sounds like I'm having the same exact problem. Dont feel to bad, I had bought a new servo as well...sure wish I would have remember this post prior to hours spent trying to diagnose .
Dejavu*Xion is offline Find More Posts by Dejavu*Xion
Old Nov 09, 2012, 11:59 AM
United Kingdom, England
Joined Nov 2012
71 Posts
Hi

Building an HK 550 TT FBL myself. I had to replace the tail hub (I twisted off a screw head trying to get it out), I didn't take not of the order of things when I removed them as I have the align manual at hand. I note now that I have an extra washer in my grips, like the ones that go around the bearings in the head grips, I *think* it came out from between the 'out' side of the thrust bearing and the tail blade grip, but when I place it there and tighten up the main screws it all goes too tight. The Align manual doesn't have them in at all, only the washers the screws clamp on to.

Do you guys have those extra washers too?, or are you tail hubs exactly as the align manual shows?

Cheers

Endolf
Endolf is offline Find More Posts by Endolf
Old Nov 09, 2012, 12:09 PM
Mildly Confused
UK
Joined Oct 2008
1,371 Posts
Hello Endolf, If I was honest I never removed the grips from my original assembly. They were threadlocked very securely. I figured I'd replace should I ever have need to. Sadly for me that happened a little earlier than I had anticipated due to problems with my tail end. That said the hub and grip assembly are useable and are currently languishing in my parts bin. I fitted an Align assembly to mine just because I had it in stock. I'll attempt to take mine apart and if possible put a picture up to show the order of assembly for you if it helps.

Paul
Old Nov 09, 2012, 01:26 PM
United Kingdom, England
Joined Nov 2012
71 Posts
That would be great, thanks.

Endolf
Old Nov 12, 2012, 04:14 PM
Norwich,UK
Joined Feb 2006
1,261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endolf View Post
Hi

Building an HK 550 TT FBL myself. I had to replace the tail hub (I twisted off a screw head trying to get it out), I didn't take not of the order of things when I removed them as I have the align manual at hand. I note now that I have an extra washer in my grips, like the ones that go around the bearings in the head grips, I *think* it came out from between the 'out' side of the thrust bearing and the tail blade grip, but when I place it there and tighten up the main screws it all goes too tight. The Align manual doesn't have them in at all, only the washers the screws clamp on to.

Do you guys have those extra washers too?, or are you tail hubs exactly as the align manual shows?

Cheers

Endolf
It sounds like you have the exact same issue I posted about the thrust bearing halves are both large od and are a tight fit in the grip so wont rotate mine had the screw left loose with very strong thread lock so at first glance all seems fine it's only because I dismantled it to check the thrust bearing were fitted correctly I found they are us.
Gaz-b is offline Find More Posts by Gaz-b
Old Nov 12, 2012, 04:25 PM
United Kingdom, England
Joined Nov 2012
71 Posts
Hi

This was just the screw being stubborn. My new Align hubs arrived and it's all back together and seems fine. I've only got the airframe and a beastx, the rest of the parts will be bought over some months, so I haven't tested it yet for real

Endolf
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:37 PM
Just fly
Australia, VIC, Glen Waverley
Joined Jan 2011
2,014 Posts
Find my codes here: http://hk.rc-international.info/swarm/evltoy (valid until November 28, 2012)

Feathering Shaft/Spindle HK-550GT Save US$: 0.53

Metal Servo Plate (Blue) 10pcs Save US$: 0.80

http://www.hobbyking.com/buddy.asp?c...1-25B306015C27 Feathering Shaft Wrench for RC Helicopter pay only $7.02

Enjoy
evltoy is offline Find More Posts by evltoy
Last edited by evltoy; Nov 18, 2012 at 08:08 PM.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:01 PM
Just fly
Australia, VIC, Glen Waverley
Joined Jan 2011
2,014 Posts
Hey Guys

I'm starting to look into battery /esc plug setups. Currently all my models are running Deans with very good results, but not sure if I should go down the same path with a 550 heli.

What are you guys running and what do you think about EC5 plugs?
evltoy is offline Find More Posts by evltoy
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:25 PM
Smoke em ' If ya got em
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2012
3,387 Posts
EC5's are what i use on 550-600's. What do i think of them ? I have never had a problem with them. Always a good connection, easy to solder, And the fact that their Just bigger is nice. EC5's are recommended by the guru's for 550 size helis on up.
Dejavu*Xion is offline Find More Posts by Dejavu*Xion