HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:00 PM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateTwisty View Post
Gnome: For all I know, that could be fine. Obviously, the lighter the better, but how light, I just don't know!
Search for their "select" (or Black Label) pine and and you should be able to find some straight-grained stuff - or try Aircraft Spruce (on-line) for nice Sitka spruce - a little spendy, but nice straight, tight grain..

Once you have ripped the stock for the mast blank, you can always split it lengthwise, and run each piece through a router with a square or round bit to make a groove on inside of mast. Then re-glue sides together to form one piece with hollow. I've had good luck gluing in a carbon tube for structural strength before gluing mast back together. Just a thought if you want to fabricate your own and stay with wood, rather than metal.

Good luck with project, boat looks really nice. Dick
Dick L. is offline Find More Posts by Dick L.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:38 AM
United States, NY, Queensbury
Joined Aug 2012
34 Posts
Dick: Those are great ideas, as well a great excuse to go buy a router! I arrived at a similar end, but by a more roundabout method! By the way, I would have used spruce in the first place if it was easy to find! I will probably go that route before spring gets here, but for now, at least I have something to work with.
So here's my progress report: Made some more shiny things! Upper and lower spreaders, chainplates, mast crane. Started rigging her up with some temporary shrouds and "display sails". Also, decided it was time for some bottom paint.
PirateTwisty is offline Find More Posts by PirateTwisty
Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:21 PM
United States, ID, CDA
Joined Aug 2005
624 Posts
Very nice.

Terry
marter1229 is online now Find More Posts by marter1229
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:48 PM
Joined Aug 2012
34 Posts
So, I am really happy with the bottom paint! And if the long list of warnings on Krylon Fusion spray paint is any indication, it should last forever!
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:50 PM
made of fire and pop rocks
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,711 Posts
You should be happy! she looks great!
bgnome is offline Find More Posts by bgnome
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:54 PM
Joined Aug 2012
34 Posts
So painfully close to done, and I saw the first snow flurries of the season today
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:29 PM
made of fire and pop rocks
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,711 Posts
Bah! get one of those giant industrial floor fans and sneak into the Nearest YMCA with an indoor pool
bgnome is offline Find More Posts by bgnome
Old Nov 24, 2012, 11:12 PM
Joined Aug 2012
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgnome View Post
Bah! get one of those giant industrial floor fans and sneak into the Nearest YMCA with an indoor pool
We need a "like" button!
Old Nov 24, 2012, 11:48 PM
Taking care of the pond.
United States, CA, Sanger
Joined Apr 2004
7,372 Posts
Yes we do.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old May 28, 2013, 10:33 PM
Joined Aug 2012
34 Posts
So, after what seemed to be an endless winter, my Star is finally almost ready for the water! Today, as one final, and slightly terrifying, hurdle, I learned how to cast lead! My skills here show some room for improvement, but it will work, and summer is way too short around here to worry about perfect bulb shape!
Old May 29, 2013, 11:49 AM
United States, MT, Kalispell
Joined Jun 2011
23 Posts
Good to see that you are working on your boat again. I have started to work on mine again as I just bought a bulb. Still have to put the deck on mine. I realy like your deck and have been thinking about doing something very similar.
planebow is offline Find More Posts by planebow
Old May 29, 2013, 03:48 PM
Big Boats Rule!
Wisconsin
Joined Jun 2007
2,051 Posts
The bubbly surface is either a cold/moist mold or cold material. I've had good luck baking the mold in the oven on low (250 degrees?) for a while just before you are going to pour the molten lead. It's amazing how much moisture builds up in plaster when it sits around. Or you could make the mold slightly oversized and shape the outside of the cool lead with a rasp and file. Always remember that lead is nasty stuff. Gloves, mask, wash hands, etc.
Boat looks nice, by the way.

Dave
boater_dave is offline Find More Posts by boater_dave
Old May 29, 2013, 09:06 PM
Joined Aug 2012
34 Posts
Dave, even after baking at 275 for a couple hours, the molds still had some moisture. I knew that, just ran out of patience! (the bondo is drying now!)
Old May 30, 2013, 12:02 AM
Joined Aug 2012
34 Posts
Ok! Keel done, electronics installed.....I would never call her "done", but by God, I think it's time to go sailing!
Old May 30, 2013, 09:08 PM
Joined Aug 2012
34 Posts
Today was the day! The maiden voyage went off without a hitch! If only I'd had a really small bottle of champagne