HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 10, 2012, 11:04 AM
United States, NY, Queensbury
Joined Aug 2012
34 Posts
Discussion
A Star (45) is born! (I hope!)

Ok, so this will be my first full size scratch build. Also, my first r/c sailboat. I think I have a reasonably good handle on what I'm doing (famous last words), but I welcome any input from here on out! And please, please stop me if I'm about to do something stupid! I'd rather learn from your mistakes than mine!
PirateTwisty is offline Find More Posts by PirateTwisty
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2012, 05:53 PM
United States, KS, Wichita
Joined Feb 2008
364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateTwisty View Post
Ok, so this will be my first full size scratch build. Also, my first r/c sailboat. I think I have a reasonably good handle on what I'm doing (famous last words), but I welcome any input from here on out! And please, please stop me if I'm about to do something stupid! I'd rather learn from your mistakes than mine!
Congrats! This reminds me that I need to get started building mine, good luck with the build.

Andy
flatlandsailor is offline Find More Posts by flatlandsailor
Old Aug 10, 2012, 06:31 PM
Joined May 2011
584 Posts
Well that has some nice lines to it.

Nicely chosen.
northernmike is offline Find More Posts by northernmike
Old Aug 10, 2012, 07:34 PM
Joined May 2012
16 Posts
Star 45s are raced extensively as a one design class, is this what you have in mind? Where did you get your plans?
squandary is offline Find More Posts by squandary
Old Aug 10, 2012, 09:07 PM
Canada, BC, Lake Cowichan
Joined Jul 2011
531 Posts
This is what I would do differently the next time.

First is that the hatch opening is in exactly the wrong place as it sits where I want to sheet the main. I would locate the winch and radio equipment so that I could install a main sheeting post.

On the Star, the jib boom is short and the main boom is long. I run a drum winch and so to keep things simple, the movement of the sheets is the same for both jib and main. So the sheeting point on the main needs to be similar (actually slightly shorter) to the length from the jib boom swivel to the jib boom sheeting point. This determines the position of the main sheeting post aft of the gooseneck, and hence the need to relocate the main hatch/interior access.

The Star will bury its bow when pressed and so I would try to keep weight central and aft. So I would position the winch to one side of the hull aft just of the fin,and cover the access hole with a sticky deck patch. Then I would use a pot (popular in the IOM class) to contain the Rx and battery set in the deck for watertight and easy access for on/off and battery change/charging on the opposite side. Then, aft of the sheeting post on centre, I would place the rudder servo and rudder access - with cut outs with sticky patches.

I would modify the bow section to incorporate a bow bumper shaped to the hull shape.

John
hiljoball is offline Find More Posts by hiljoball
Last edited by hiljoball; Aug 10, 2012 at 09:51 PM.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 09:15 PM
Joined Jan 2006
603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by squandary View Post
Star 45s are raced extensively as a one design class, is this what you have in mind? Where did you get your plans?
Plans can be found http://woodstar45.blogspot.com/2006/...r45-plans.html and for purchase here http://www.shipsstoremodelyacht.com/...ans,%20Etc.htm They are also in the file section of the star 45 yahoo group.

On my boats I have the winch under the mast then the battery next to the fin.
slotracer577 is offline Find More Posts by slotracer577
Old Aug 11, 2012, 07:13 PM
Joined Aug 2012
34 Posts
Slotracer, that is exactly where I found the plans! It's the closest thing to hand- holding I could find!
Old Aug 11, 2012, 07:18 PM
Joined Aug 2012
34 Posts
hiljoball, That's exactly the kind input I'm hoping for! Building the boat is one thing.... making her actually sail is something altogether different!
Old Aug 11, 2012, 07:27 PM
Joined Aug 2012
34 Posts
squandary,
I'm going to try to keep her to class specs, but she'll never race. There is nobody to race with where I live, and frankly, I don't have a competitive bone in my body. Just want her to sail!
Old Aug 12, 2012, 11:27 AM
Joined Jan 2006
603 Posts
Windjammin sails makes a great tuning guide which shows how to rig a star. I have used Scotts tuning with good results.

John
slotracer577 is offline Find More Posts by slotracer577
Old Aug 13, 2012, 11:35 AM
made of fire and pop rocks
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,711 Posts
Aww man! you stole the thread name I was going to use when I started building one!!

she's looking good so far! can't wait to see more progress!
bgnome is offline Find More Posts by bgnome
Old Sep 26, 2012, 05:02 PM
Joined Aug 2012
34 Posts
Progress report

I have been remiss in updating this, but life sort of got in the way for a bit. Back at it now! The hull has been West Systemed, inside & out. The keel and rudder are built and ready for paint (that will be one of the last things I do). At present I'm dry fitting deck planking, and hoping it's going to be as pretty as I imagined!
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:57 PM
Sport R/C Flyer/Sailer/Driver
United States, MS, Columbus
Joined Nov 2001
263 Posts
Nice to see someone else building one of these.

I just started building a Star 45 this past weekend. At the moment, the hull bottom is nearly planked. Even half planked, the boat has a beautiful hull.

Keep us updated! I'll be watching with a keen eye while building my Star.
MMangus is offline Find More Posts by MMangus
Old Sep 26, 2012, 11:35 PM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,311 Posts
Here are some great pics of a Star 45 build by Ken Bauser
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kenbauser/
gpzy is offline Find More Posts by gpzy
Old Sep 27, 2012, 08:04 AM
Joined Aug 2012
34 Posts
Those ARE great pics; he makes it look so easy!