HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 10, 2012, 02:39 AM
To build or fly today?
United States, AL, Gulf Shores
Joined Feb 2008
605 Posts
Question
Sig Trainer Kit - can be built light enough for electro?

Digging through some old boxes and came across a Sig Kadet .40 size trainer kit and an idea hit --> Can it be built light enough by doing a few modifications to the structure to be worth an electric conversion?

Few things - I mainly fly 3s up to 2200 size packs but wouldn't mind running two in parallel to get 4400 mah.

I know electros have the power to do whatever you want and have read an article in RCM about a 40 size conversion. Just wondering about a build as it would be a cool winter project.
Jr.
Doubledog is offline Find More Posts by Doubledog
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2012, 05:22 AM
Commerce Township, MI
Joined Aug 2001
4,360 Posts
The Sig Kadet (now Mk II) was not the best trainer out there. It was okay as a three-channel, (rudder, elevator, throttle) but suffered when ailerons were added. It did some strange things when ailerons were input, up to and including 'aileron reversal'. In other words, the plane would actually roll in the opposite direction.

http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmar..._20Trainers_01

The SIG KADET SENIOR, SIG KADET SENIORITA, SIG KADET LT-40, and SIG KADET LT-25 all make worthwhile electric conversions and there is info here on RC Groups for converting most of them.

A 3S battery is not usually acceptable/useable in most "40" size conversions.
Here is an article on Glow to Electric Conversions:
http://www.theampeer.org/Glow2Electr...w2Electric.htm
Ken Myers is online now Find More Posts by Ken Myers
Old Aug 10, 2012, 05:54 AM
To build or fly today?
United States, AL, Gulf Shores
Joined Feb 2008
605 Posts
Good info Ken. Had my doubts but at least its a nice box of spare balsa for other builds

Btw, the Senorita was my first kit. Flew great on a .28 Brat.
Doubledog is offline Find More Posts by Doubledog
Old Aug 10, 2012, 06:07 AM
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
2,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubledog View Post
Digging through some old boxes and came across a Sig Kadet .40 size trainer kit and an idea hit --> Can it be built light enough by doing a few modifications to the structure to be worth an electric conversion?

Few things - I mainly fly 3s up to 2200 size packs but wouldn't mind running two in parallel to get 4400 mah.

I know electros have the power to do whatever you want and have read an article in RCM about a 40 size conversion. Just wondering about a build as it would be a cool winter project.
Jr.
Probably a better alternative to using your existing packs is to run them in series for 6S. Kv around 600, eg http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=19025 would work with a 10" prop at only 22A and ample thrust for a a 5lb model.

Turnigy Plush 40 or 60 ESC will handle 6S and has suitable switching BEC
scirocco is online now Find More Posts by scirocco