HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 17, 2001, 02:20 PM
Texas
Joined Aug 1999
5,110 Posts
Yes. It is worth it. It may not be a 100% accurate simulation, but it's pretty drn good.

In the long run, sim practice can make you a better flyer and potentially save you even big $$$ in planes that you don't crash.

Dave Lilley
dave_lilley is offline Find More Posts by dave_lilley
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 17, 2001, 03:02 PM
United States, VA, Warrenton
Joined Apr 2001
1,148 Posts
It's also on sale at Tower Hobbbies for about $199.

I bought it for $260 and don't regret it. The graphics are amazing. I originally bought it to learn to fly heli's, but I find myself just flying the planes more and more. The virtual instructor they have is neat for a while. I also like getting new trim scemes and recordings from different people.

Good flying.

-Ninjak2k

[This message has been edited by Ninjak2k (edited 07-17-2001).]
Ninjak2k is offline Find More Posts by Ninjak2k
Old Jul 17, 2001, 03:11 PM
United Kingdom, England, London
Joined Jun 2001
220 Posts
I've got three sims, Ripmax, G2 and Cockpit Master. G2 is very realistic but can become quite dull after a while, ideal to practise particular manouvers and has tons of options, plus heli's of course. The Ripmax sim I probably use the most but is only sold in the UK at present, it's very nice to look at and is realistic if you use a tx (It's not at all the same program if you use a PC joystick), The scenery is much more varied and although the locations are not all traditional flying fields they are quite enjoyable, for instance you can try to land on an aircraft carrier, the castle site gives you a good idea of the location of the model relative to the ground. Look at www.rcsimulator.com for more info. Plus it's a lot cheaper

I personally would not recommend Cockpit Master, to say I was disappointed is an understatement.
Anks is offline Find More Posts by Anks
Old Jul 17, 2001, 03:35 PM
heli on the brain
Apple Valley/Victorville, Ca
Joined Apr 2001
544 Posts
...a sims a sim. i myself think different than dave does. i think that after you've become an intermediate flyer they not only are dull (nothing like the real thing at all. no rush. no involment. they just arent the same), but can, in my opinion, sort of give you a 'false' sense of security. they have a weird little way of subconciously letting you keep your guard down while really flying as if crashes were irrelevant. at least for me. ive wrecked due to pilot error more when i flew sims on my off time than when i dont touch them. go figure. although, if your still a beginner, i feel that they are a great tool just to get your basic flying skills honed a bit. the fms sim is free and just as fun (i consider them more a video game than anything) as the others. but, this is just my opinion so go for whatever floats your boat!
dezflyer is offline Find More Posts by dezflyer
Old Jul 17, 2001, 05:43 PM
United Kingdom, England, London
Joined Jun 2001
220 Posts
I disagree, I've found simulators extremely valuable and the experience I have gained on the computer translates to the real world extremely well. I am a newbie and have only recently come back to model flying after many years of absense, with no recollection of prior experience.

I put in many hours of practice on the simulator before even attempting to fly my Pico Cub which ment by the time I was ready for first flight I was familar with the controls and my responses where natural. I never had to think which stick did what, I have never to remember during a real flight 'prop up the lower wing' when the plane is travelling towards me as this was all done on the sim.

As testiment to this I have never crashed my plane due to pilot error in over fifty flights, I compared this to Jerry Simons experience with the same model without first using a sim, found here http://www.ezonemag.com/disc/Forum2/HTML/000699.html

Read what Jerry says about sims after initally not using one and then how useful he found them afterwards. He bought Realflight G2 eventually.

I'm now going to progress to a low wing alieron model but will put in quite some time on the sim first and when it comes to the real world hopefully this model remains in tact as long.

Imagine how long you would need with a club instructor to gain the same amount of experience.

I've never found a problem changing from sim to real world as I do not believe someone playing quake would think their sole purpose is to kill aliens as soon as their PC is switched off.

Ok, there is a video game resembalance to these products but that doesn't mean they are not 'serious simulators', who says that learning can't be fun?

I feel anyone who can't perform a perfect rolling circle would benefit from a simulator. Furthermore you can also try new models before actually parting with cash to see there tendancy to tip stall for example, alter a models setup on the sim such as move the COG or change the motor/prop/battery capacity
Anks is offline Find More Posts by Anks
Old Jul 17, 2001, 06:07 PM
Texas
Joined Aug 1999
5,110 Posts
Real pilots in the military and civilian commercial sector both use simulations to train so why shouldn’t we. After I bought RF, then the G2 upgrade, my skills went up to the next level. I gained a lot of confidence and I gain a lot of skills. Even now I regularly practice maneuvers to keep my skills up. I have converted all the planes in RF to electric so that they would fly more like an electric instead of an over powered IC rocket. This has helped a lot in learning how to effectively use an electric power plant. Before I built my ‘Lil Sporty which is very close to weight and size of a pylon racer, I spent hours practicing with the fastest plans available in RF. This gave me a lot of perspective on how the real deal would fly. When I flew my plane, I didn’t have any surprises and the flight went flawlessly. I also spent a good deal of time learning how to ROG and land a Cub in a nasty crosswind. This helped a lot went I flew my real Cub in these exact conditions.

It is definitely worth the money.
Old Jul 17, 2001, 06:36 PM
DC1
Joined Jul 2001
2 Posts
Thankyou for all your honest replies they are greatly appreciated as for this type of product many opinions are needed, not only due to the cost involved but also because there is no demo available to try out the software on one’s own particular system. If anyone could comment on the performance of the sim I should expect, going on my system specs, that would be useful because although the graphics look pretty amazing I expect they need a serious PC to see them in all there glory running at a respectable frame rate and more importantly smoothly.
DC1 is offline Find More Posts by DC1
Old Jul 17, 2001, 07:03 PM
Hitec/Multiplex USA
Poway, California, United States
Joined Sep 2000
4,200 Posts
DC1- Real Flight is by far the best and I have tried them all. You should have no problem using the highest resolutions with the computer you mentioned. I am using basically the same system but with the 1 gig t-bird. Make sure you also download the latest drivers for your video card. Another cool thing about the GeForce MX 2 is you can overclock it making it even better. You have to download a program called "cool bits" to unlock the overclocking screen in the advanced menu. My overclocked MX benched 40% better than stock. Also make sure you are using 4X AGP and fastwrite enabled.

The best thing to do to check your systems game playing capability it to go to http://gamershq.madonion.com/download/?3dmark2000.shtml and download the 3dmark2000 benchmark program and see how well your system performs. My benchmark was 5865 for reference. Cool program!

Mike

[This message has been edited by MikeMayberry (edited 07-17-2001).]
MikeMayberry is offline Find More Posts by MikeMayberry
Old Jul 17, 2001, 08:57 PM
Texas
Joined Aug 1999
5,110 Posts
I'm running 1280x960, 16 bit color, textures on high, graphics on medium, and terrain density on Max (value=200). I've also turned on mip mapping, detailed textures, and spectacular lighting. I'm running Windows ME on a pIII 700 with a Riva TNT2 32mb, and 128mb.

With this setup I get ~37fps.

I have no doubts that a t900 w/256mb and a Geforce2 can do better.
Old Jul 17, 2001, 09:15 PM
Halloechen aus Texas !
austin, tx, usa
Joined Jun 2001
158 Posts
I am quite happy with RFG2. It helped me learn to fly my Zagi, although there isn't even a Zagi in it. (What a shame !)

The planes will never be 100% realistic, but turn on some wind, and you'll find quite a few challenges.

I found that the reflexes and correction skills that can be aquired in the simulator transfer to the real thing.

I first used the sim on a 500mhz pc, and since upgraded to a 1.1ghz one. The sim is much happier on the faster box, but it ran on the slower one too, with most of the scenery disabled.

Greetings,
Knut
knut is offline Find More Posts by knut
Old Jul 17, 2001, 09:27 PM
Texas
Joined Aug 1999
5,110 Posts
BTW,

This past winter I was not able to get out and fly a lot due to poor health and/or bad weather. RF G2 kept me virtually flying so that when I was able to fly in the non-virtual realm, I was able to retain some of my muscle memory.

Flying RC really goes beyond the conscious. After a while, you will not need to think about where you need to move the sticks to make your plane fly. You will watch your plane and you will not even think about what your hands are doing.

It is a similar process to learning to ride a bicycle. When you start out, you generally have to learn how to balance and steer so that you can make the adjustments that keep you and your bike from falling over. After a short time, you make these adjustments without having to constantly think about your next move.

The same happens with RC flying and this is one area where the simulation can be very helpful. In essence, the simulation will help you train your brain to make the movements necessary to fly without having to consciously thinking about what has to be done. You can practice this in the real world and crash more often (and it will happen), or you can do it in the sim where you have the chance to learn without the high costs of failure. With a simulation you may not ever complete suspend your disbelief, but then you have something in common with real pilots who use simulations in their training. The stakes are always higher when the cost of failure is real. However, if you take the sim seriously and try to keep the mindset that the consequences are serious it will help make the sim more useful.

Good luck in what ever you choose to do and I hope this had helped.

Dave
Old Jul 17, 2001, 09:28 PM
"Bible Thumper"
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2001
1,924 Posts
This is how I justified the cost. I found a copy of realflight for 99.00 and it's great. After looking around a while I found the
add-ons for 24.99 at a local hobby shop. I am so pleased with the simulator that I am going to purchase the upgrade to G-2 which is now on sale for 80.00. The G-2 version allows for online flying contests. What better way that to fly with others.
AMTJIM is offline Find More Posts by AMTJIM
Old Jul 17, 2001, 09:35 PM
SF Bay Area, California, USA
Joined May 2001
399 Posts
Realflight taught me how to fly. If it can work for me, it can work for you !
rcastab is online now Find More Posts by rcastab
Old Jul 17, 2001, 09:35 PM
heli on the brain
Apple Valley/Victorville, Ca
Joined Apr 2001
544 Posts
...thats exactly my point. sims are a great tool for learning, but once your an intermediate or advanced pilot they just dont cut the mustard like hands on does. to me its like already knowing how to ride a bike and cruising around with the training wheels on! why?
dezflyer is offline Find More Posts by dezflyer
Old Jul 17, 2001, 10:31 PM
Hitec/Multiplex USA
Poway, California, United States
Joined Sep 2000
4,200 Posts
I'd have to disagree! The airplanes you can creat can be very challenging and allow you to experience advanced manuevers you would not try with your real airplane. I am an advanced pilot and love to fly the CAP232 with the big motor and oversized. Try learning how to torque role on it.... that's no training wheels!!!

This program is a kick for all levels!
MikeMayberry is offline Find More Posts by MikeMayberry