HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 09, 2012, 11:14 PM
Joined May 2010
33 Posts
Discussion
Seguin Tug gaff rigging question

I have the Seguin Tug (plastic hull) modified with added steam whistle and smoke. I now want to add the cranes off the masts. I am having trouble figuring out the rigging from the end of the gaff to the mid gaff block and down the mast to the cleats.

Any comment welcome.
az-boater is offline Find More Posts by az-boater
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 09, 2012, 11:23 PM
United States, CT, Wethersfield
Joined Mar 2006
1,121 Posts
I can get post the booms on my 10 hatch coaster if it would help..Take a look at my building log of the coaster and see if thats what you need
Browndog is offline Find More Posts by Browndog
Old Aug 09, 2012, 11:56 PM
Shanghai'd Expat
Xiaoshan, China
Joined Jun 2006
4,581 Posts
It might be overkill but I have found Ivor Bittle's website quite useful when it comes to rigging.

http://www.ivorbittle.co.uk/Books/TS...%20rigging.htm
herrmill is offline Find More Posts by herrmill
Old Aug 10, 2012, 07:03 AM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,384 Posts
AZ-
The gaffs are for steadying sails, they're not cargo booms... though they could be used that way in a pinch. I'll post images tonight...

Note that the yoke end is not pinned to the mast with a gooseneck, the entire gaff can be run up and down. There may/may not be a set of "parrels" securing the yoke.

patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Aug 10, 2012, 01:48 PM
Joined May 2010
33 Posts
Interesting

So she would sail under canvas when the conditions were right and/or steam when necessary. That explains the tall masts. Thanks.
az-boater is offline Find More Posts by az-boater
Old Aug 10, 2012, 05:38 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,384 Posts
Here are some clips from "On the Hawser" (a great tug reference, out of print but it can be found), and from the Midwest Seguin plans.

1. You need to rig the gaff's topping lift somehow.
2.If they aren't being used for sails, but perhaps the occasional lift job, block and tackle could be rigged too.
3. All lines go down the mast and are made fast to cleats on the mast.
4. To keep the gaff from swinging side to side, guys are rigged to the tip, and made fast to either side of the boat... often through their own blocks. Sometimes a single line from the gaff, Y'd halfway up and then running to either side. An iron band with eyes should be installed on the gaff wherever lines are attached.
5. Mast stays should be positioned realistically- they can't be in the way of the gaff and sail's arc of motion.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 05:52 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,384 Posts
More... a tug with a proper lifting boom. It has a gooseneck at the mast to bear the load, and is rigged for lifting... possibly for salvage work etc.

Note the band with eyes at the tip... topping lift (raises boom tip) appears to be absent, with a fixed line instead... a pair of guys with blocks for steadying the boom underway and when in use... and the hoist line hooked to the rail on the boat deck.