HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 12, 2012, 02:02 PM
Euphoric flights
United States, NY, Fredonia
Joined Aug 2011
517 Posts
The G-wing is directionaly stable, it was only the change of the propeller / rpms that caused a "yawing" motion to be present and even when starting with the fast motor the G-wing still flies straight. It was the transition between the two different motors and old trim. I should have reset everything.

I'm still working on adverse yaw. If you watch during rolls, the aircraft sort of sucks when inverted because of the 2 degree washout I added for more stability, otherwise this airplane is difficult to fly because it is almost negatively stable when built stock.

Once I noticed when going into a vertical climb ( GT-07 ) the aircraft would start to lose stability and one of the wing tips would lead the other ( almost like an entrance to a spin )

Though the aircraft is resistant to spinning as you can see in my testing videos.

FPV

GT-16 successful FPV flight (14 min 0 sec)

Aerodynamic and impulse testing

Smash! Throwing a model airplane at a tree. (1 min 13 sec)

I really like this plane, the look from the sky.

This is a compilation of all the models

Compilation of random Gull Wing model aircraft prototypes (8 min 46 sec)

You know I never really got into full size aircraft, I know all about them mainly military aircraft but I think maybe it's the cost but I am working towards an Aerospace degree so maybe then I can mess with full size planes.

Quote:
That was the first version of the Flyguy with elevons for legs. The feet swivel back for landing and faceplants. Later one had the arms swivel for ailerons and the shoes swivel for rudders. He did take off vertically once which was the purpose of the big shoes. I may build a bigger version. Here's another experiment for a reversable, varaible pitch prop. The prop didn't work very well but the plane was a geat sucess. Sort of a slotted prop Pizza Box.
Curious why the variable pitch didn't work too well? Do you mean that it didn't fly so well backwards or the propeller simply failed to function as it was designed to. Ha I like that idea, the "retracts" so to speak.
GreenAce92_v2 is offline Find More Posts by GreenAce92_v2
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 12, 2012, 02:11 PM
Euphoric flights
Joined Aug 2011
517 Posts
There is one bad thing about this plane. If you impart a spin on the aircraft, it can lead to an irrecoverable spin, and by irrecoverable I mean that you are so close to the ground that you will most likely crash.

Still if you make it light or have a rocket like thrust to weight ratio, there is no problem of this as you can see in the take off with the GT-16

GT-16 with bulb pod flight (0 min 20 sec)
Old Aug 12, 2012, 03:54 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,934 Posts
Have you tried differential ails to take out the adverse yaw?? May work well on this plane as the upward ail adds a lot of drag in the direction you want to go.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Aug 12, 2012, 06:40 PM
Euphoric flights
Joined Aug 2011
517 Posts
Yes I have been experimenting with that though the roll rates seem to suffer a bit ( not as "snappy" )