Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 07, 2012, 10:44 PM
United States, WA, Shelton
Joined Feb 2012
624 Posts
I spent a few evenings having fun with paint. I know its a park jet but once I get going its hard to stop There are a couple of more markings I will add like the stars and bars, there are also a couple of markings that I screwed up on...probably no big deal but it will bug the out of me if I dont go back and re paint them. I really love the F18 and have started planning and buying supplies to build a much larger one this winter that I can really put alot of detail in. I am so glad I have an understanding wife Greg
Lt599 is offline Find More Posts by Lt599
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 08, 2012, 12:01 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Looks great Greg! Another thing that I have done on a couple of my planes is print the decals out on plain paper off my ink jet printer, cut theme out and use a glue stick to attach them to the plane. Thinned down wood glue like tite bond might be better but haven't tried that.. I thn spray the Minwax polycrylic over them and the plane to help seal them,, has worked pretty good so far too.. Yes I have the transfere decal paper, but it is sooooo expensive so I tried the paper, and I really think the paper ones have better color on them too.. Something else to test out for your next one! So when is the maiden flight? W
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
Old Sep 08, 2012, 01:48 PM
Joined Feb 2012
624 Posts
Thanks Walt, thats a great idea with the graphics. Painting was fun but tedious I just used the acrylic craft paints like you said and paint pens, gotta love those paint pens. Im going to head out to our grass field today for the maiden. I would have liked to maiden before paint but we have had an unusually windy summer up here this year and I just never had a day that I could get out that it wasnt blowing like crazy. But its nice today I have a couple more builds Im planning, one is a 1/12th scale F18 twin EDF that I mentioned and the other an A10. Think I will start on the A10 first because I have everything in the shop for that one. I still have my Sukhoi and Twin boom sitting there that need finished. How many planes do people have going at one time? or is it just me. What people say is true, this is a VERY addictive hobby! Greg
Old Sep 08, 2012, 03:25 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Good Luck there Greg!!! Oh yeahh,,, it is very addictive!!!! I usually have one, sometimes two builds going, but that isn't considering paint,, I usually fly them a couple or three times before paint, so right now, building one, one ready for paint, one done or one more test on it then will start getting it ready for paint!! wow... anyway.. waiting to hear how your flight goes.. w.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 05:47 PM
Nelson, B.C.
Joined Jun 2008
150 Posts
Greg. looks really nice. good luck with maiden.
Walt. love your posts....witty, intelligent,entertaining and helpfull.
Kim
Forgot to mention I have four on the go....one a 150% f15 I was going to put a 90mm fan in, but am thinking maybe two 70's. Gotta have retracts and rudders.
chumbly is offline Find More Posts by chumbly
Last edited by chumbly; Sep 09, 2012 at 12:51 PM.
Old Sep 09, 2012, 10:44 PM
Joined May 2011
2,223 Posts
Just starting another F-18. I had one several years back with an old 72 mhz system that crashed because of a glitch. So now on 2.4 I should have more luck. I think I will go with the VF-31 China Lake paint scheme for visibility. I currently have an F4D Skyray that flies fantastic, and I am still test flying the MDC F-14, so the F-18 will be a good compliment.
AlfaXray1 is offline Find More Posts by AlfaXray1
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Warbirds
Old Sep 10, 2012, 08:46 AM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Chumbly, thanks for the kind words,, RCG is great, a good place to learn alot, make friends, build and see some great planes! You should start a thread on some of your builds. w.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 04:49 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,558 Posts
the retro china lake scheme is awesome!

i also had a F-18 back in the day of 72mhz, man, it was one sweet flyer!!! highly recomended!
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Sep 10, 2012, 06:26 PM
Joined May 2011
2,223 Posts
Thanks CorsairNut, By the way love your F-20 in your Blog. That looks like a good candidate for PPJ also. Checkout our little group of FSX'ers at

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1264266

Check out my Blog for some additional models and planes I like to Fly.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 10, 2012, 06:37 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,558 Posts
thats cool, ill have to get online with you guys sometimes. i fly formation aerobatics and pattern work with a bussy on there. my name on fsx online is also corsair nut lol
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Sep 12, 2012, 09:33 PM
Joined May 2011
2,223 Posts
We still use Gamespy for sessions in the Fly-ins lobby. Our sessions will have a name like RCGroups or RCG Tenn. Join in is you see us.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 14, 2012, 03:49 PM
Joined Feb 2012
624 Posts
The F18 flies great. I have some nose repair to do, pilot error I went to retract the flaps and hit the switch in the wrong direction. FULL FLAPS! I was going to slow and low and not ready for it. It stalled the plane and The repair will be minor though I also need to re locate the ESC I am not getting enough cooling with my vent set up, the ESC is getting to warm. Well as always lessons learned. I will always fly before finish from now on
Old Sep 15, 2012, 07:08 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Hate to hear that Greg,get it fixed up and flyin again.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 09:38 PM
Joined Feb 2012
624 Posts
Thanks Walt, it is an easy repair. I am very pleased with how well it flies, I think it will be a really fun plane. Im messing around with A10's right now, fun,fun,fun If I spent half the time flying as I do building I might actually get good at it Are you up to anything interesting?
Old Sep 16, 2012, 07:11 AM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Hey Greg,, been busy in the shop and not flew anything for over a week.. Trying to catch up on finish work,, got my L39 painted, finished it up yesterday, and started pain on the F4.. Been fiddling with another build, will do a thread maybe on it in the next few days. I want to get the F4done in the next few days as we have a warbird fly in at the club next Saturday.

Bungee launching,,, I seen you asked John about it in his thread, I wouldnt even thin about trying to hand launch a plane over a couple of pounds! Infact, I have went back and put hooks on all of my planes for the launcher now, I got so tired of tearing up planes hand launching them!!!! I tore up one a week ago due to a bad launch, I'll build another to replace it as it was a fun little plane.. Soooo build yourself a launcher you can find the plans right here on RCG, and I have the site you can order your launcher tube from.. The work super as you seen in the F4 vid I posted last week... W