HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 22, 2012, 02:07 AM
United States, WA, Shelton
Joined Feb 2012
619 Posts
Its looking like an F18 .... I am almost finished with main assembly. The weight is looking good so far. I think I will finish it with WBPU and talc. prior to paint. I have been looking at different VFA's and have not decided on which one to go with. I was thinking of the VFA 103 Jolly Roger but there are quite a few really cool squadron insignia's. I have time to decide that..still lots of finish work to do. I also am thinking about a cockpit, pilot and canopy, something light of course. Anyway here are a few pics.
Lt599 is offline Find More Posts by Lt599
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 26, 2012, 07:37 PM
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
Joined May 2003
27,197 Posts
With a fresh pack you'll be drawing close to 20A with a 6x4 APC E... is your ESC okay with that?

MicroJet v3: 6x4 APC E: 10.7v, 19.80A, 212W, 17970rpm, 68.1mph 669g, 23.56oz, 3.16g/W
Dr Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Dr Kiwi
Old Aug 26, 2012, 08:46 PM
Joined Feb 2012
619 Posts
Thanks for the info. yes I believe it will be fine, I am using the 20amp ESC that came with the V3 combo.

I finished the canopy and final shaping today, also installed the magnet to hold the canopy on. I was going to try and maiden this evening but its just to windy so moved on with finishing. I use a mixture of LWS, Durhams water putty and a little water as filler. I apply it with a brush to all glue seams, the spars and cover the laminated XPS foam that I am using for the nose and canopy. I like this mixture as it dries fast, hard and sands like balsa. It works very well as a light hard filler. When dry I will sand the majority of it off. Finish sanding smooth then start applying coats of WBPU prior to paint.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 11:23 AM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Greg, looks really good!!! doing some filling and sanding here this morning myself.. Man gotta love that FA18!!!!! w.
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
Old Aug 27, 2012, 12:30 PM
Joined Feb 2012
619 Posts
Thanks Walt, whats ya fillin and sandin huh, huh Greg
Old Aug 27, 2012, 01:09 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Well, I have this L39 that I built, it's the second one, the first one would snap and screw itself into the ground when it thought it was time to do so,,, so after the 3rd round with that, I said no more, but I liked the plane so built another and did the wing different that the first, well I don't finish my planes before the maiden, sometimes it's a big waste! also if I need a mod then I'm not destroying the finish. So this one after maiden and a few flights, I just kept flying it cause it flew good and I liked the plane... After lots of ridicule from fellow fliers about me not ever painting my planes(wow it only took two planes to achieve that label) I am doing the finish on it. So some filling and sanding, applying some wbp/powder too, and fixing dings and such.. A couple more days and it should be ready for paint.. Also working on another one I've had going for a long time, when the time is right, I'll post, it should be fun.. And..... working on a build, sort of, lots of modding to it, so when I get where I'm comfy with it, I'll start a thread, it will be another edf but like I said, lots of mods to it, so stand by.. That F18 really makes me want to do another one of those, I had one, and flew it till it is just wore out! It is on the build list.. w.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 03:49 PM
Joined Feb 2012
619 Posts
Sounds cool, I just finished sanding all my fill and I am thinking about using the same WBPU/talc prior to paint. Would you go that route or just a few coats of WBPU? I was thinking I could get a better finish with the talc, what do you think?
Old Aug 28, 2012, 08:38 AM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Greg, whenever I use wbp it is always with talc mixed in unless I'm trying to protect the paint with a top clear coat.. The talc fills holes and scratches, adds strength and sands much smoother than just the poly alone.. Yes, I'd use the wbp/talc mix, the only thing you have to watch is weight build up. w
Old Aug 28, 2012, 12:45 PM
Joined Feb 2012
619 Posts
I went ahead with the talc..man that sands smooth! I put on one heavy coat, sanded off and then followed by a lighter coat. I am doing the final sanding today and hopefully get a coat of grey on her before I go on shift tomorrow
Old Aug 29, 2012, 12:37 AM
Joined Feb 2012
619 Posts
Well I finally have it ready for paint. It doesnt seem to matter how long we fill and sand, I still found places I wish I would have spent more time on....oh well I used a high fill primer and that helped. I was happy that after the WBPU/talc and primer I only added 2 oz. 2 coats WBPU/talc, 3 coats primer and alot of sanding.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 08:49 AM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Looks really good Greg! That 2oz gain is really not bad especially if you were using a filler primer.. I just use the grey craft paint generally as my primer or a flat white craft paint depending on what colors i'm going to shoot.... Your details look good too... And remember when finishing, paint Shows Everything!! as you are finding out! w.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 01:29 AM
Joined Feb 2012
619 Posts
Walt, when you say craft paint are you refering to an acrylic paint? The primer I used is Dupli Color high build, its an automotive primer. I really like how it fills and sands but something lighter would probably be better, especially on this type of build. Next build I will do a little more work with the poly and talc (and sanding) Then I can use a little less primer Greg
Old Aug 30, 2012, 01:17 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Greg, yes, the acrylic paints in the craft department is what I use, sometimes I buy the small bottles, but colors like white, black, grey, yellow, ect I buy the bigger ones... Anytime you get a build up or filling primer it will be heavy! Sand it down, get most of it off if you are gaining too much weight, plus I would think if your not careful, that stuff will eat the foam up! Paint, won't fill anything, filler is for that, paint will show every little dent scratch whatever... It is very hard to get these things perfect or anywhere near that.. keep at it though.. w.
Old Sep 04, 2012, 08:55 AM
Joined Feb 2012
619 Posts
Decided to follow the VFA-103 paint scheme, I still have to tackle the" jolly roger" skull and cross bones. I am planning a 1/12th scale twin 70mm EDF build for this winter, I will definately print water transfer decals for that one!
Old Sep 04, 2012, 09:32 AM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Looking good there Greg! Waiting to see it completed! w