Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Old Nov 08, 2012, 04:52 PM
Find More Posts by JLLayton
Lansing, MI
Joined May 2002
248 Posts
I dislike them because in the beginning they put out a system that would disconnect for several seconds if you got a momentary drop in voltage with , what had been until then, the standard rc power system of four cell battery packs. When people started loosing planes it was blamed on inadequate power systems which was true FOR THEIR SYSTEM.
They put a flawed design on the market and then blamed people for using what was, until then, adequate power supplies. I thought, and still think, that it was a dishonest response on their part. I owned an early one and junked it after I verified the problem. I do not trust them to this day
JLLayton is offline Find More Posts by JLLayton
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 08, 2012, 05:10 PM
Find More Posts by Jayray123
OUCH!!!
United States, PA, Erie
Joined Sep 2008
585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLLayton View Post
They put a flawed design on the market and then blamed people for using what was, until then, adequate power supplies. I thought, and still think, that it was a dishonest response on their part. I owned an early one and junked it after I verified the problem. I do not trust them to this day
Define flawed as it pertains to this discussion. I haven't been able to incur even one lockout, brownout or otherwise loose connectivity with any of my models in the last 5 or so years. Primarily high powered EDF (3000w and above)

Jay
Jayray123 is offline Find More Posts by Jayray123
Old Nov 08, 2012, 08:05 PM
Find More Posts by richard hanson
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
9,912 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLLayton View Post
I dislike them because in the beginning they put out a system that would disconnect for several seconds if you got a momentary drop in voltage with , what had been until then, the standard rc power system of four cell battery packs. When people started loosing planes it was blamed on inadequate power systems which was true FOR THEIR SYSTEM.
We flew these early systems (DX7 and 7000rx) on dual four cell packs -with no problems .
If you had done some simple tests on the power draw - you would have seen the real problem
richard hanson is online now Find More Posts by richard hanson
Old Nov 08, 2012, 08:12 PM
Find More Posts by RyanNX211
Thermals, Tom
United States, OH, Upper Arlington
Joined Dec 2007
2,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julez View Post
Some people have trolling as a secondary hobby... his former accounts were angelfood, AKA Dave Mattison, AKA Crypto, etc...
How do you know?
RyanNX211 is offline Find More Posts by RyanNX211
Old Nov 12, 2012, 02:09 PM
Find More Posts by Gerry__
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
6,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanNX211 View Post
How do you know?
He doesn't, he's making wild guesses.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
Old May 14, 2016, 12:10 PM
Find More Posts by RyanNX211
Thermals, Tom
United States, OH, Upper Arlington
Joined Dec 2007
2,000 Posts
I saw a lot of nice looking Spektrum new radios at Toledo. I haven't heard any more from users lately, primarily because most at the fields I use have gone on to other systems.
RyanNX211 is offline Find More Posts by RyanNX211
Old May 14, 2016, 05:14 PM
Find More Posts by richard hanson
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
9,912 Posts
Really?
what kind of fliers do you have ?
richard hanson is online now Find More Posts by richard hanson
Old May 14, 2016, 06:07 PM
Find More Posts by Mikecam
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Apr 2008
951 Posts
Flyers who are enjoying their toys and not playing CSI trying to figure out what the hell just happened. lol
Mikecam is offline Find More Posts by Mikecam
Old May 14, 2016, 06:22 PM
Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
36,609 Posts
Yes, Spektrum flyers are enjoying their toys, Mike.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old May 14, 2016, 06:26 PM
Find More Posts by Mikecam
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Apr 2008
951 Posts
Hi Andy.
Mikecam is offline Find More Posts by Mikecam
Old May 14, 2016, 07:26 PM
Find More Posts by vollrathd
United States, WI, Racine
Joined Jan 2007
3,838 Posts
This thread goes back to 2012!

After all the Spektrum Bashing in this thread, I wonder which radio system was the most popular at the recent Joe Nall event?

Joe Nall is one place where a wide variety of models are being flown, from el-cheapos, to some that cost more than 95% of us can afford.
vollrathd is online now Find More Posts by vollrathd
Old May 15, 2016, 02:51 AM
Find More Posts by GassPasser
Pro Bro # 2398
BoonVegas, Indiana
Joined Dec 2005
792 Posts
funny when a rookie thinks he is causing a stir.
GassPasser is offline Find More Posts by GassPasser
Old May 15, 2016, 05:57 AM
Find More Posts by Gerry__
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
6,526 Posts
Nothing wrong with Spektrum gear at all. People who bash it tend to be very poor at flying their models.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
Old May 15, 2016, 05:58 AM
Find More Posts by solentlife
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
14,743 Posts
Actually radio Brands can be subject to Geographical factors. If you come to Latvia - you will not see many Spektrum radios ... but you will see a lot of 9x, 9xr, Taranis, in fact more Futaba than Spektrum !

Its a question of what you get for your money. With salaries in Baltics way lower than USA for example - people do not listen to advertising hype ... they buy best they can with the most features they can get.

Our top 3D pilot and believe me - this guy is good. Flies from small e-powered up to 120 twin Gasoline powered all out 3D aerobatic jobs ... what does he use ?

9x and Taranis.

Myths abound and will continue ... and as long as club guys are advising new entrants .. the SQ will continue. Nothing to do with quality or functions.

I was for decades a die-hard JR and Futaba user ... but reality came home one day and I got the light !

Nigel
solentlife is online now Find More Posts by solentlife
Old May 15, 2016, 06:16 AM
Find More Posts by atreis
United States, OH, Springfield
Joined Dec 2015
262 Posts
Why the bashing?

1. Cost. Spektrum is expensive.
a. Sometimes those who can't afford it, but want it, complain and bash. (This happens on other forums too - e.g. people who have never owned them bash Airstream trailers too.)
b. Sometimes those who can't afford it buy something else and discover it works just fine, so they post their experiences. (Not really bashing, but it can come across that way sometimes.)
c. Sometimes people who bought Spektrum have buyer's remorse - wondering if they could have saved money by buying something else and resent being "taken".
d. Sometimes people have a genuinely bad experience.

2. Shills. From observation, one can't really know for sure, but there are some people who will very consistently post that brand X/plane X/radio X is better in any thread about some other brand - so much so that it's hard to believe these people aren't being paid in some way shape or form. (Non-Spektrum examples: The thread on the new Timber airplane, and all the posts by one person about the virtues of a different plane. Various battery threads and the constant battle (both directions) between Revo and HK.)

Because of my suspicions about #2, I've stopped looking for or taking direct recommendations on products from these forums.

BTW - I fly with a DX9. My first plane came with a DX4 and I liked it, so saw no reason to change brands. (I suspect Spektrum gets a lot of business this way.)
atreis is offline Find More Posts by atreis