Old Aug 13, 2012, 09:41 AM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
5,944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard hanson View Post
Weak power supply is not brand related
in a way it is. if it takes 30 seconds for a rx to reboot (slight exaggeration) then it is much more susceptable to power issues compared to one that reboots instantly. i know my spektrum units suck rocks in this respect. both futaba and spektrum gather dust on my shelf while the flysky and frsky gear are in almost constant use.
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2012, 10:13 AM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
6,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1993 View Post
in a way it is. if it takes 30 seconds for a rx to reboot (slight exaggeration) then it is much more susceptable to power issues compared to one that reboots instantly. i know my spektrum units suck rocks in this respect. both futaba and spektrum gather dust on my shelf while the flysky and frsky gear are in almost constant use.
Having worked with all three -I can safely say that reboot IS NOT a function of power!
You are apparantly talking about rx shutdown due to power loss.
All three brands come back on line instantly when power is returned
Where did you get your info?
If you are referring to a shutdown of the TX-- then reconnect times can be of various lengths
Shutdown of TX is not a power issue
richard hanson is offline Find More Posts by richard hanson
Old Aug 13, 2012, 10:44 AM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
5,944 Posts
both my spektrum took several seconds to recover from brownout. i used that gear in planes for a couple months and never had a problem but the quicker boot time of the chinese units was enough for me to switch. it has been couple years since those tests were conducted and i dont recall the actual model numbers. they have probably fixed it by now but still..
Old Aug 13, 2012, 10:48 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,295 Posts
Wow, you must have had ancient recievers. Why didn't you send them in for the free update? The Chinese copied the newer (not newest) code, not the oldest stuff.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 13, 2012, 11:19 AM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
5,944 Posts
they were among the first 2.4ghz sold in usa. dsm iirc. as i mentioned earlier the spektrum stuff was given to me by a friend who lost thousand$ in crashed planes. i used it for a couple months w/o any problems, however he flew at crowded fields and i do not.

i never bother with updates on anything. specially something i dont use. basically if something fails i just grab one of the backups from the closet and keep on trucking. i was able to buy dozens (no exaggeration) of rx and a 9x for less than one brand radio. since then picked up another on one of hobbykings $40 deals and got a 3rd from a local "patriot" who just didnt like his.

btw i also have a futaba which is collecting dust. i think it cost over $1000. it was given to me by a fellow who broke one of the pots and when he saw how much they wanted to fix it he switched makes. they wanted more to fix it than you can buy a turnigy for. eventually on one rainy day i put a regular radio shack pot in and used an op amp to make it work like an rc pot.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 11:26 AM
Oxford Panic
United Kingdom, Oxford
Joined Feb 2003
3,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard hanson View Post
...Weak power supply is not brand related...
Oh but it is, need I say "Spektrum brownout"

A.
AndyOne is offline Find More Posts by AndyOne
Old Aug 13, 2012, 11:32 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1993 View Post
they were among the first 2.4ghz sold in usa. dsm iirc. as i mentioned earlier the spektrum stuff was given to me by a friend who lost thousand$ in crashed planes. i used it for a couple months w/o any problems, however he flew at crowded fields and i do not.
I would put them all in a box, spent the $10 on the postage, and when they return have a box of known-reliable receivers ready for airframes!

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 13, 2012, 12:28 PM
Joined Feb 2008
2,649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyOne View Post
It seems that Spektrum gear is less fault tolerant than other makes when it comes to a bad installation or weak electrical supply. If newbies tend to fall for the marketing hype and buy this brand because it all over the web or the only brand the LHS sells then this may explain a lot.

So who's fault is it there's all this distrust, Spektrum for making radio it's easier to make a mistake with or the ignorant users?

A.
Similarly, when my big new chargers popped the circuit breaker, that was the charger maker's fault for selling chargers that were too powerful.

Of course, if you buy a RTF or BNF and expect it to behave like a toy/appliance, and it browns out, then I think you have a real argument that the RTF/BNF maker messed up. But if it was a kit/ARF where you were involved in the component selection, then I'd have to say that these learning opportunities are part of what separates hobbies from just buyin stuff.

Likewise, the guy at our field whose electric plane flew off the bench because he ASSumed his Fubata had model match just like everyone else's radios. Nothing really "wrong" with his radio - he just needed to understand it better.
Dave H. is online now Find More Posts by Dave H.
Last edited by Dave H.; Aug 13, 2012 at 12:42 PM.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 12:29 PM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
6,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyOne View Post
Oh but it is, need I say "Spektrum brownout"

A.
Brilliant --
richard hanson is offline Find More Posts by richard hanson
Old Aug 13, 2012, 12:56 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
5,944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
I would put them all in a box, spent the $10 on the postage, and when they return have a box of known-reliable receivers ready for airframes!

Andy
you know i may do that someday if they ever go up for sale but for now all that stuff looks cool on the shelf of my "radio museum". or maybe if i hang onto them long enough the value will skyrocket due to antique appreciation. i saw a kraft one stick go for $300 on ebay couple weeks ago. lol!

to tell you the truth my favorite tx right now is a v911 micro-heli remote upgraded with 9x firmware (see core9x). true, the sticks feel real cheap and not many buttons/switches but for me ergonomic heaven. its the only unit i know that allows hand launching planes and helis without resorting to harness or tray. yet i still have most of the power and versatility of er9x:

ok, i now leave the floor open for ridicule..
Old Aug 13, 2012, 01:03 PM
most exalted one
BC Canada
Joined Aug 2002
3,461 Posts
This quite humourous. A guy, probably not a product user, asks a dumb question and then probably watching the show and the defense by a rep and a heavy duty user.
Everyone should ignore this thread and let it go away.

Signed...aHitec user.
4*60 is offline Find More Posts by 4*60
Old Aug 13, 2012, 01:21 PM
Father of Fr3aK, DLG Pilot
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,592 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Dad View Post

If their is a legitimate issue, I would think best use of time would be to let the company know, let consumers know in a review or a forum, finally, buy new equipment and move on (assuming you don't trust the equipment anymore). Just can't see letting it overshadow the fun of the hobby.

RC Dad
Many of us took the high road when Spektrum was having their problems and provided a lot of information about those problems behind closed doors to the manufacturer. Some of the banter about these exchanges was publicized and discussions were heated with a few (and I do mean FEW) loyal team pilots calling us idiots and blaming our installations for all of our problems. After having our intelligence and integrity directly assaulted publicly, many of us did do exactly that... moved on because of a lack of trust for the gear.

It was interesting when the 6250 was recalled, as this was the receiver I had all of my issues with. It gave me a pretty solid feeling of vindication. BTW I had problems with the other brand I used after Spektrum, but they were cooperative and worked to fix the glitch in their system that was at fault. Companies have an opportunity to shine when there is a problem with their product. This company earned my loyalty by diving into the problem, identifying it, fixing it, and apologizing for the error.

I'm now playing with JR again as many, many of my friends are long time JR guys and some of my friends are employees of HH. I really like the XG8 and it seems like a radio that could pull me back. I don't see anything coming from the other manufacturers that compels me to change right now. What I will not do is ever again fly anything with the orange bars on it. Call me crazy if you wish but when you get a really foul taste for a product it can take a long time to forget.

Normally I ignore these threads but for whatever reason I felt like posting. BTW... I did not let it infringe upon my enjoyment of the hobby, or my friendships. These are toy airplanes after all.
tom43004 is offline Find More Posts by tom43004
Old Aug 13, 2012, 07:28 PM
United States, OR
Joined Feb 2011
393 Posts
Yes,

I edited my post to read "spectrum" instead of "Spektrum". One is a signal type, one is a manufacturer's name.

Kwitcherbellyachinandhavalaugh....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Mike View Post
Did you read the video uploader's comment on that YouTube page?

It's not even certain that a Spektrum radio system was in use here. Maybe this is part of the answer to the question we're discussing. As we've all just seen, many people tend to blame the radio system for a crash even when the actual cause is elsewhere, which means that the most popular radio system will get blamed for the most crashes.
ssautter is offline Find More Posts by ssautter
Old Aug 13, 2012, 07:59 PM
United States, OR
Joined Feb 2011
393 Posts
Utopia doesn't exist....

Here's some dirt on FASST systems, from our friends across the big pond:

http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/futabafasstfoobar.shtml

FASST is an acronym for Futaba advanced spread SPECTRUM technology.
ssautter is offline Find More Posts by ssautter
Old Aug 13, 2012, 09:12 PM
Joined May 2005
809 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
Wow, you must have had ancient recievers. Why didn't you send them in for the free update? The Chinese copied the newer (not newest) code, not the oldest stuff.
Are you talking about the DSM2 clones, or the FrSky and FlySky systems that Dave1993 was referring to?
caseih is offline Find More Posts by caseih