HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:58 AM
X-Ikarus
United Kingdom, North York
Joined Feb 2003
1,659 Posts
The video only shows a short signal loss
Pete mentioned a longer period.

"if the F/S event was too long, the receiver would then take a 3-5 seconds to reconnect,"
DMS2 mode
Reflex1 is offline Find More Posts by Reflex1
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:26 AM
Deutschland, Hessen, LA
Joined Jan 2009
1,174 Posts
Pete mentioned rangetest mode.
Maybe should he relase the rangtest button and look then how fast DSM2 or DSMX reconect. Pete and you miss the point about frequency agile. The RX know there was no reset. Why should it not stay on the both channel and scan then simultan the band?
Kambalunga is offline Find More Posts by Kambalunga
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:45 AM
X-Ikarus
Joined Feb 2003
1,659 Posts
"if the F/S event was too long, the receiver would then take a 3-5 seconds to reconnect,"

True or Not ?
Old Oct 15, 2012, 12:17 PM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflex1 View Post
Agreed Andy

Unfortunately most have lost faith in Spektrum
and have/are moving to other systems.
You have no evidence that 'most' rc pilots have lost faith.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Oct 15, 2012, 12:28 PM
X-Ikarus
Joined Feb 2003
1,659 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry__ View Post
You quote me out of context
I'm speaking about MY Club.
That was the reply to Andys post.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 12:33 PM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Apr 2004
1,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry__ View Post
Mistake
Buschbarber is offline Find More Posts by Buschbarber
Old Oct 15, 2012, 01:22 PM
Upper Arlington, Ohio
Joined Dec 2007
1,407 Posts
Quote:
Agreed Andy

Unfortunately most have lost faith in Spektrum
and have/are moving to other systems.

Rejecting an entire apple just because the part you bit into is rotten is understandable but not necessarily rational.

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

I find the F/S test interesting. If I deliberately put a weak battery (just enough juice to operate the controls) in a model I could activate the failsafe (engine cutoff) just by moving the flight controls on the ground.

However, the lockouts observed with AR500/600 receivers never came with a concomitant cutting of the engine. I wished they had allowed me to do it manually at least as I had plenty of time watching helplessly as they bored in.
RyanNX211 is offline Find More Posts by RyanNX211
Last edited by RyanNX211; Oct 15, 2012 at 01:33 PM.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 01:27 PM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanNX211 View Post
Rejecting an entire apple just because the part you bit into is understandable but not necessarily rational.

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result
Yeah, one of my mates hates wine. He tried it once when he was 15 and didn't like it.

It's the same mentality.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Gerry__; Oct 15, 2012 at 01:43 PM.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 01:36 PM
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
2,383 Posts
Quote:
Now that is interesting.

So under an interference condition which killed both DSM2 carriers and triggered Failsafe

It will take "Length of time of interference" + 3-5 seconds to regain control

Andy can you confirm this ?
Quote:
But DSM2 ....... would cause this long timeout ?
Quote:

True or Not ?
Both. If your Rx has older(pre quickconnect) firmware it could take a number of seconds for it to reconnect after a reboot/loss of power.The newer quickconnect firmware should allow the rx to reconnect in less than a second.
Unless you have a huge RF flooding issue at the location you fly it is more likely some kind of power issue.It can be difficult to diagnose whether you are having a signal issue or a loss of power issue.The tools are available to do so though.
aerocal is offline Find More Posts by aerocal
Old Oct 15, 2012, 02:12 PM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,209 Posts
Quote:

True or Not ?
This makes sense.

As I see it, the reciever cannot know if it was just switched on, or if it just woke up from a brownout.

If the reciever was just switched on, it has to start scanning for new channels after some time, or it would never find the TX.

If it just woke up from a brown out, it is of course best to stay on the two last channels that were used.

The problem is, the reciever cannot tell both situations apart, and it cannot both stay and scan.

To solve this problem, it stays for a little while, and if it does not recieve signals, it starts to scan.

(please correct me if the above paragraph contains false assumptions)

This approach works well in an interference-free environment, but when interference happens, the inadequacy of the whole 2-channel-system of DSM2 becomes plainly visible.
Julez is offline Find More Posts by Julez
Old Oct 15, 2012, 02:26 PM
Joined Jul 2011
196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julez View Post
This makes sense.

As I see it, the reciever cannot know if it was just switched on, or if it just woke up from a brownout.

If the reciever was just switched on, it has to start scanning for new channels after some time, or it would never find the TX.

If it just woke up from a brown out, it is of course best to stay on the two last channels that were used.

The problem is, the reciever cannot tell both situations apart, and it cannot both stay and scan.

To solve this problem, it stays for a little while, and if it does not recieve signals, it starts to scan.

(please correct me if the above paragraph contains false assumptions)
I don't believe we are talking about a "brownout" here. The alleged problem was induced on the ground by forcing a hold for more than one second (or so), not by dropping voltage on the rx. Adding additional conditions only serves to complicate understanding/testing the problem.
jsipprell is offline Find More Posts by jsipprell
Old Oct 15, 2012, 02:52 PM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
6,566 Posts
A situation which can occur with a battery which is weak and small:
the fail safe kicks in - then immediately kicks back off allowing voltage to slightly rise which again drops voltage which again kicks failsafe back on.
This instantly sets up a situation where the system is effectively locked - the servos quiver but do not drive to one end. You cannot regain control till the system is shut down .
The cause is voltage fluctuating below then above falisafe cutoff point.
It is NOT a system failure but a weak power supply indication.
To see this happen you need weak low battery and a servo load sufficient to drop v below cutoff point.
doing these tests for my own info -convinced me that battery choices are very important using 2.4 systems .
richard hanson is offline Find More Posts by richard hanson
Old Oct 15, 2012, 03:00 PM
Joined Jul 2011
196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard hanson View Post
the fail safe kicks in - then immediately kicks back off allowing voltage to slightly rise which again drops voltage which again kicks failsafe back on.
This instantly sets up a situation where the system is effectively locked - the servos quiver but do not drive to one end.
The cause is voltage fluctuating below then above faisafe cutoff point.
To see this happen you need weak low battery and a servo load sufficient to drop v below cutoff point.
I suspect that under such exacting circumstances, JR/Spektrum (and perhaps others) radios might exacerbate the issue because of "Servo Sync" which attempts to drive pairs of servos in tandem.
jsipprell is offline Find More Posts by jsipprell
Old Oct 15, 2012, 03:00 PM
Upper Arlington, Ohio
Joined Dec 2007
1,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard hanson View Post
This instantly sets up a situation where the system is effectively locked - the servos quiver but do not drive to one end. You cannot regain control till the system is shut down .
The cause is voltage fluctuating below then above falisafe cutoff point.
It is NOT a system failure but a weak power supply indication.
doing these tests for my own info -convinced me that battery choices are very important using 2.4 systems .
It would be hard to say that this isn't happening if you had a throttle or a speed controller but there is no way my diesels or ignition engines are going to start back up.
I will observe your theory with people flying more conventional stuff and get back to you.
RyanNX211 is offline Find More Posts by RyanNX211
Old Oct 15, 2012, 03:21 PM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
6,566 Posts
Your engines did not have a servo operated throttle ?
richard hanson is offline Find More Posts by richard hanson