SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 14, 2012, 04:40 PM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
No the real head scratcher is why does Spektrum get more non-users chasing people around through threads that don't relate to their radio system only to say or vote how bad it is?

While it is entertaining to read i just dont understand the mentality it takes to do so.
indoorheli is online now Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2012, 04:43 PM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
6,983 Posts
Defend an investment?
I guess some would do that -
how can a few have repetitive problems with so many satisfied users to show them how to use their equipment.
The answer is that most users learn how to use their stuff correctly.
You can't cut corners with power or setups.- it just doesn't work..
Those who refuse to learn - are just fooling themselves.
richard hanson is offline Find More Posts by richard hanson
Old Oct 14, 2012, 04:44 PM
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Dec 2009
1,402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
The video shows a US event (Joe Nall). My replies (this and previous) reflect US-based answers.

Back in the dark ages we had 27, 72, 50, and 53 MHz frequencies available (they still are). 27 has 6 channels, 72 has 50, 50 has 10, and 53 MHz has 8.

6 + 50 + 10 + 8 is much less than 100.

In 72 MHz, the spacing and other technical conditions allowed for interference when there were transmitters of particular frequencies on at the same time. As a result, we in the impound had to make sure that we didn't allow simultaneous operation of transmitters on the same frequency or in combinations that could create those interferences.

With the advent of Spektrum and the wholesale adoption of our technology, and later by other brands coming along, most contests went to a 2.4gHz-only policy. Users on the old bands either had to leave their radios home, or manage their radios among themselves. (Staffing the impound was never a fun chore when hosting an event).

Now, armed with these facts, please explain how users at Joe Nall would have have the ability to launch 100 planes simultaneously as was demonstrated by the video.

Andy

US legal frequency list: http://www.modelaircraft.org/events/frequencies.aspx

Thats a bit rich since you're not the only technology using DSSS in the 2.4Ghz band nor are you the first. The first in RC perhaps but not the first DSSS and certainly not the firs user of the 2.4 band.
TimBle is offline Find More Posts by TimBle
Old Oct 14, 2012, 04:47 PM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
8,271 Posts
Hm, I don't think Andy claimed either, only, by inference, that Spektrum is a fine product.

I certainly have enjoyed my Spektrum products.
JohnathanSwift is offline Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
Old Oct 14, 2012, 05:08 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,984 Posts
I'm sorry, Tim, but I don't understand why you should think anybody is making those claims. It sure isn't in this thread. Are you reading another thread somewhere with misinformation and trying to draw it into this discussion?

I would still like to hear your explanation for how it would have been possible to successfully fly 100 airplanes simultaneously on only 74 frequencies with the standard AM/FM/PCM technology of the day.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 14, 2012, 05:08 PM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy42 View Post
And the same logic can be applied to those who vehemently defend Spektrum. I guess they have invested in Spektrum and now must defend their investment to themselves. Or perhaps they have never owned another brand and don't know what they are missing.

The real head-scratcher is how those who have had to return the same radio multiple times can remain so loyal. Surely such experiences would cause a rational consumer to lose faith.

Ahhhhh.... The ever useful sample size of ONE.... I guess that someone who smokes their entire life without getting cancer proves that smoking doesn't cause cancer...
How many spektrum related crashes for you?
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Oct 14, 2012, 05:13 PM
Joined Jul 2010
189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry__ View Post
Disagree. His fate serves as a reminder.
And that's your job? Funny - I don't see 'official d-bag' listed in the TOS for this site...
EdmundGerber is offline Find More Posts by EdmundGerber
Old Oct 14, 2012, 05:23 PM
Canada
Joined Aug 2004
866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard hanson View Post
Defend an investment?
I guess some would do that -
Andy's reasoning...

Quote:
how can a few have repetitive problems with so many satisfied users to show them how to use their equipment.
And how can so many have problems that must be addressed by constant service bulletins...

Quote:
The answer is that most users learn how to use their stuff correctly.
The answer is that Spektrum lacks any kind of significant quality control - from hardware to software. It treats its users as beta testers.

Quote:
You can't cut corners with power or setups.- it just doesn't work..
You can't cut corners with testing and quality control - it just doesn't work...

Quote:
Those who refuse to learn - are just fooling themselves.
DITTO

It is clear that you think every failure is a result of a faulty power system - even in those cases where people have switched radio brands only to have their mystery problems solved. However, it seems that even Spektrum recognizes that they have signal problems as evidenced by the numerous "kludgy" solutions they have thrown at the problem (e.g. more satellites, duel TX antennas).
grumpy42 is offline Find More Posts by grumpy42
Old Oct 14, 2012, 05:24 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,077 Posts
Quote:
...snip... The real head-scratcher is how those who have had to return the same radio multiple times can remain so loyal. Surely such experiences would cause a rational consumer to lose faith. ...snip...
How many Toyota owners are still driving Toyota's after the recall of 7.4 million cars this year and 4.2 million cars last year, head-scratchers are everywhere don't try to figure them out if they don't affect you.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Oct 14, 2012, 05:25 PM
Canada
Joined Aug 2004
866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry__ View Post
How many spektrum related crashes for you?
Relevence?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmundGerber View Post
And that's your job? Funny - I don't see 'official d-bag' listed in the TOS for this site...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
head-scratchers are everywhere don't try to figure them out if they don't affect you.
I will do as I wish, thank you very much... And don't assume what affects me...
Last edited by grumpy42; Oct 14, 2012 at 05:31 PM.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 05:34 PM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Apr 2004
1,146 Posts
Quote:
And the same logic can be applied to those who vehemently defend Spektrum. I guess they have invested in Spektrum and now must defend their investment to themselves. Or perhaps they have never owned another brand and don't know what they are missing.

The real head-scratcher is how those who have had to return the same radio multiple times can remain so loyal. Surely such experiences would cause a rational consumer to lose faith.

Ahhhhh.... The ever useful sample size of ONE.... I guess that someone who smokes their entire life without getting cancer proves that smoking doesn't cause cancer...
There is no need to scratch your head. There are many of us who have not had problems and not had to send our Spectrum radios back. They have proven to be as reliable as any other brand we have used.

I have used many different radios.

Scratch your head if you must, but I do not see Spektrum to be the problem.
Buschbarber is online now Find More Posts by Buschbarber
Old Oct 14, 2012, 06:11 PM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
6,983 Posts
"mystery problems ?
Until you resolve that the actual problem was the rx---- how can you logically deduce that the receive was the culprit.
Leaps of illogic just don't proove a thing . But it is obvious that some guys just like to keep a tired thread alive ---
facts which put this all to rest , are no fun.
The public including model crashers -are willing to believe anything -especially stuff they don't comprehend -
Look at the Toyota floormat thing - --people actually claimed they could not stop the car or shut down the engine --and others actually accepted this as a possibility!!
richard hanson is offline Find More Posts by richard hanson
Old Oct 14, 2012, 06:54 PM
Full Scale Piper Cub Driver
Hinckley, Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
2,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
How many Toyota owners are still driving Toyota's after the recall of 7.4 million cars this year and 4.2 million cars last year, head-scratchers are everywhere don't try to figure them out if they don't affect you.
I just have to jump in here… I own three Toyota Prius’ - 2007(son), 2008(wife), and 2010(me). Very fine automobiles. Zero problems and work as advertised. I’ve seen lots of these cars used as taxi cabs in NY and Vegas. I’m thinking about getting a Prius V before the end of the year.

I started RC in 1974 with a HeathKit and then Futaba for many years. I was away from the hobby for ten years and came back in 2005. Bought a Spektrum DX7 (DSM2) and flew micros, 450 helis, park fliers, scale, and 3 meter sailplanes. Two years ago I sold the DX7 and bought a DX8. I love this radio. I have a mix of DSM2 and DSMX receivers including HobbyKing Orange and Chinese Spek knockoffs. I’ve had 3 meter sailplanes to 3200’ elevation with zero antenna frames lost. Nice reassuring feature to be able to quantify the RF reception, Rx minimum voltage, and LiPo voltage for every flight. Best $400 hobby dollars I ever spent.
Piper J3 is online now Find More Posts by Piper J3
Last edited by Piper J3; Oct 15, 2012 at 07:31 AM. Reason: Changed wording from "fades" to "frames" in last paragraph
Old Oct 14, 2012, 06:57 PM
Canada
Joined Aug 2004
866 Posts
Quote:
"mystery problems ?
Until you resolve that the actual problem was the rx---- how can you logically deduce that the receive was the culprit.
Well, if the only component that changes is the rx, and results in resolving the problem, it is at least reasonable to conclude (if not 100% conclusive) that the rx was the culprit.

Quote:
facts which put this all to rest , are no fun.
The fact is, Spektrum is a less reliable brand - even if you discount all the reports of lockouts. Their hardware/software has been plagued with problems.

Quote:
But it is obvious that some guys just like to keep a tired thread alive
Hmmm... You may want to look at who is actually keeping this thread alive...
Old Oct 14, 2012, 07:09 PM
The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Joined Jun 2004
5,233 Posts
Quote:
Look at the Toyota floormat thing - --people actually claimed they could not stop the car or shut down the engine --and others actually accepted this as a possibility!!
http://www.nodeju.com/27172/woman-st...eadedness.html

I'm very concerned about the trend in new cars to completely eliminate mechanical linkage between the shift control and the transmission, having it all electrically controlled through the computer. Add to this, the push button start/stop logic also through the computer and you have a recipe for disaster.
My 2005 Subaru has throttle by wire, but a direct linkage allows you to go to neutral even if the pedal is floored (I've tried it, and the rev limiter worked very nicely) and a traditional key switch that allows you to kill the the engine in drive, but not allow the steering wheel to lock under any circumstances is much safer in my book.
Pete
Pete
pilotpete2 is offline Find More Posts by pilotpete2