HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 12, 2012, 07:22 PM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard hanson View Post
Read the last posts - It is apparant that some folks really don't understand how the systems function-even at the most basic levels .
So has it been since radios were marketed - and obviously will continue---
As technology doubles, the failure to comprehend goes up on the square --
But they may understand quite well when they fail.

VP
Victory Pete is offline Find More Posts by Victory Pete
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 12, 2012, 08:13 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Miami Lakes, Florida, USA
Joined Mar 2003
8,486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssautter View Post
Spectrum lockout, for your amusement:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfcpntN47tk

This video is the property of its respective owner!
Did you read the video uploader's comment on that YouTube page?

Quote:
"The cause was determined to be the Battery System with a lock-out loss of signal attributed to a voltage problem."
It's not even certain that a Spektrum radio system was in use here. Maybe this is part of the answer to the question we're discussing. As we've all just seen, many people tend to blame the radio system for a crash even when the actual cause is elsewhere, which means that the most popular radio system will get blamed for the most crashes.
Miami Mike is offline Find More Posts by Miami Mike
Last edited by Miami Mike; Aug 12, 2012 at 08:34 PM.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 08:45 PM
United States, ID, Nampa
Joined Oct 2009
689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Mike View Post
Maybe this is part of the answer to the question we're discussing.
I agree
nippaero is offline Find More Posts by nippaero
Old Aug 12, 2012, 09:35 PM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
7,374 Posts
I should have said cubed.
richard hanson is online now Find More Posts by richard hanson
Old Aug 12, 2012, 09:56 PM
Rockford, IL
Joined Oct 2003
974 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssautter View Post
The original DX7 was notorious for brown outs, signal loss, binding issues and unexplained fail "safe". The newer DSM2 and DSMX technology is more reputable and reliable; however, Spektrum had already damaged its own reputation before these updates. Horizon Hobbies' outstanding customer service also asks their brands, including Spektrum, to advertise multiple recalls and product bulletins for many of their products - often shortly after their release. Honestly, would you rather be stuck on the phone with some random customer service representative or out at the flying field with your buddies?

I have been flying with Spektrum ever since the DX6 came out. I had a DX7 from the day it came out and flew hundreds of flights with it and never had a single problem with it. For the last 2 years I have been flying a JR 12X and have NEVER had a single case of failure with any of these.

At the club field at least 90% of the flyers use Spektrum in their planes and that includes the guys with the giant scale expensive planes.

Most of the guys that have had problems caused their own problems by having very poor power systems that caused their voltage to drop too low.

Now, I will admit, the DX8 has had a troubled past. I do not know If I would buy a Spektrum that was all designed and built by Horizon. They don't have a very good record now that they are building their systems instead of using JR.

Tom Moody
Tom Moody is online now Find More Posts by Tom Moody
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:32 PM
Canada
Joined Aug 2004
883 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Moody View Post
Most of the guys that have had problems caused their own problems by having very poor power systems that caused their voltage to drop too low.
People seem to just accept the inherent limitations of Spektrum equipment/technology. Spektrum essentially coined the term "brownout" since it is not as much of an issue with other manufacturers. Any number of issues could cause an unexpected drop in voltage on the RX bus. Wouldn't you rather trust your aircraft to the system that has better low voltage performance?
grumpy42 is offline Find More Posts by grumpy42
Old Aug 13, 2012, 01:11 AM
Joined Oct 2007
7,374 Posts
I use Spektrum LOTS of em
- never had a voltage issue from day one
Did have a failing 3 cell lipo cause a problem the first year Spektrum came out - thats it
Old Aug 13, 2012, 03:10 AM
Germany, HB, Bremen
Joined Jun 2010
923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nippaero View Post
Is it the quality of the radios people don't like or is the the RF technology or both?
I'd say the quality is decent. It's the RF that sucks.

Quote:
the most popular radio system will get blamed for the most crashes.
FlySky/Turnigy 9x is an example that voids your statement. While you'd be right in general, (assuming somebody already googled for us spektrum issues) have you searched for 9x issues ? Given their huge sales, the number of fails is extremely small. And you know what? Almost none of those problems involved loosing control from a lockout or sth!

P.S. I'd trust a 9x with FrSky RF 1000 times more than a Spektrum, no matter how much each of them could cost. And yes, I have a 9x with er9x and frsky, and it has way more mixing functions and way cheapper than a spektrum.
Zen09 is offline Find More Posts by Zen09
Last edited by Zen09; Aug 13, 2012 at 03:15 AM.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 03:44 AM
Deutschland, Hessen, LA
Joined Jan 2009
1,212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy42 View Post

How about a little history...
Spektrum was first to market with their 2.4ghz systems, but it came at a heavy price in both their reputation and customer aircraft. DSM/2 was simplistic and not very robust. Their "Dual Link" "technology" randomly selects two free channels which could be adjacent which basically negates any advantage that using two frequencies would provide. Their DSM2 receivers went through multiple revisions to fix numerous problems ranging from "uncommanded elevator inputs" to the ridiculously long relink times.
We should no forget other producer had problems too.
Futaba: Zero GUID, temperture problems, TM14 modul recall,to low servo signal level, the common pots problem (case-pot effect) (a known problem), then the lack of model match FAST-Deaster, etc
Quote:
When the full range DX7 was released, many people lost their planes due to poor low voltage performance of their RXs (a problem that persists today). Many people were still using 4 cell rx packs to power their electronics which often proved inadequate under load for the Spektrum RXs. Of course Spektrum's competitors don't seem to be as affected by these brownout issues, but it didn't stop Spektrum from pulling crap like this.
The AR500 has a brownout voltage around 2.7V, the AR6255 ~2,5V.
But this help you little. First need your servo a servo signal of 3V. Then deliver your servo at such low voltage a four times lower force or nothing.

Quote:
Then there was the DX8 - probably one of the worst tx launches ever with numerous hardware and software problems.
I think you never here about IFS/XPS 1,2,3,3.X

Quote:
People will say that since Spektrum has more users, there are more complaints. There is some truth to this, but one just has to look at the sheer number of service bulletins that Spektrum has had to put out for its radios and receivers. Compare that with their competitors. Of course, every manufacturer has had problems, but not to the degree that Spektrum has had.
IFS
Futaba TM14 recall, Zero GUID recall, but never recall the RX with temperature problemes or with to low servoimpuls voltage, the make fancy gold sticker.

Quote:
Instead of improving their underlying technology, Spektrum rather slap on more band-aids in the form of extra satellites, flashing LEDs, flight log data, and diversity TX antennas.
Diversity TX antennas are not sole used by Spektrum. ACT, WEA, Jeti used the too. Without diagnose function you never know that a probleme exists.
Logs are not sole used by Spektrum. ACT,WEA, Jeti,Hott and the Platinium Member club Futaba FASSTest use logs too.
Even Futaba produce RX with satellites.
Kambalunga is offline Find More Posts by Kambalunga
Last edited by Kambalunga; Aug 13, 2012 at 07:22 AM.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 03:46 AM
Deutschland, Hessen, LA
Joined Jan 2009
1,212 Posts
Very expensive Futaba FASST Lockout
LMA Cosford 2009 - All metal Beaver (0 min 45 sec)
Kambalunga is offline Find More Posts by Kambalunga
Old Aug 13, 2012, 04:40 AM
Entropy is happening!
Australia, NSW, Bellingen
Joined Aug 2008
7,312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
Grumpy42 pretty much nailed it. ..........
I agree.
There is a lot of highly subjective emotion being used in this discussion, even the title of the thread's use of the "hate" word reflects that. Also, there is the often repeated post that goes more or less like: "My Spektrum has never failed" etc. etc. A statisitical survey of one! All I can say to such statements, is I'm happy to hear that your unit has not failed! But it does nothing to allay my concerns formed over a long period and after much reading.

If a certain make and model airliner exhibits a problem in just one while in commission carrying passengers, all the emotive claims like, "the one I flew in did not have any problems!", are relatively meaningless. What is of concern is the one or ones that actually fail, even though they belong to others or are flown in by others.

I have long since tired of reading numerous threads reporting Spektrum failures. In most of them, hatred was seldom mentioned, but mainly distrust as others have mentioned on this thread. Yes I have had a Spektrum and it did cause lost and crashed models and I've since given it away, but not solely due to my experience. I did so because of the sheer number of similar and worse reports on these forums. One of the worst I can recall is of the glider going up the line on the winch on Spektrum gear when the tx. beeped and self changed model memory! Total write off!

I would never remain any where near close to one of my flying buddies while he was Dynamic Soaring if he was using a Spektrum system. As most will know, these planes are often upwards of 5 kgs. and fly at great speeds measured in hundreds of miles per hour! A radio failure could result in such a plane becoming an unguided missile with disastrous consequences.
Conversely, for flying an electric foam or lighweight parkflyer or glider, the situation is very, very different and Spektrum is no doubt quite adequate.

Jim.
Jim.Thompson is offline Find More Posts by Jim.Thompson
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gravity hot wire foam cutter.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 07:12 AM
Flying Electric!
United States, MI, Westland
Joined Jul 2006
1,485 Posts
Quote:
Did you read the video uploader's comment on that YouTube page?

It's not even certain that a Spektrum radio system was in use here. Maybe this is part of the answer to the question we're discussing. As we've all just seen, many people tend to blame the radio system for a crash even when the actual cause is elsewhere, which means that the most popular radio system will get blamed for the most crashes.
Agreed!
ASAMech is offline Find More Posts by ASAMech
Old Aug 13, 2012, 08:23 AM
Joined Oct 2007
7,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbello View Post
I agree.
There is a lot of highly subjective emotion being used in this discussion, even the title of the thread's use of the "hate" word reflects that. Also, there is the often repeated post that goes more or less like: "My Spektrum has never failed" etc. etc. A statisitical survey of one! All I can say to such statements, is I'm happy to hear that your unit has not failed! But it does nothing to allay my concerns formed over a long period and after much reading.

If a certain make and model airliner exhibits a problem in just one while in commission carrying passengers, all the emotive claims like, "the one I flew in did not have any problems!", are relatively meaningless. What is of concern is the one or ones that actually fail, even though they belong to others or are flown in by others.

I have long since tired of reading numerous threads reporting Spektrum failures. In most of them, hatred was seldom mentioned, but mainly distrust as others have mentioned on this thread. Yes I have had a Spektrum and it did cause lost and crashed models and I've since given it away, but not solely due to my experience. I did so because of the sheer number of similar and worse reports on these forums. One of the worst I can recall is of the glider going up the line on the winch on Spektrum gear when the tx. beeped and self changed model memory! Total write off!

I would never remain any where near close to one of my flying buddies while he was Dynamic Soaring if he was using a Spektrum system. As most will know, these planes are often upwards of 5 kgs. and fly at great speeds measured in hundreds of miles per hour! A radio failure could result in such a plane becoming an unguided missile with disastrous consequences.
Conversely, for flying an electric foam or lighweight parkflyer or glider, the situation is very, very different and Spektrum is no doubt quite adequate.

Jim.
You decide on what to use based on the goofy stuff seen here ?
Old Aug 13, 2012, 09:06 AM
Oxford Panic
United Kingdom, Oxford
Joined Feb 2003
3,661 Posts
It seems that Spektrum gear is less fault tolerant than other makes when it comes to a bad installation or weak electrical supply. If newbies tend to fall for the marketing hype and buy this brand because it all over the web or the only brand the LHS sells then this may explain a lot.

So who's fault is it there's all this distrust, Spektrum for making radio it's easier to make a mistake with or the ignorant users?

A.
AndyOne is offline Find More Posts by AndyOne
Old Aug 13, 2012, 10:00 AM
Joined Oct 2007
7,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyOne View Post
It seems that Spektrum gear is less fault tolerant than other makes when it comes to a bad installation or weak electrical supply. If newbies tend to fall for the marketing hype and buy this brand because it all over the web or the only brand the LHS sells then this may explain a lot.

So who's fault is it there's all this distrust, Spektrum for making radio it's easier to make a mistake with or the ignorant users?

A.
You missed ignorant commentary.
Weak power supply is not brand related
stores sell what people want - not what someone else thinks they want
The discount bins are full of those products.
Distrust ? maybe for you - buy what you like
Frankly I don't see any of these product issues you to which you allude