HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 12, 2012, 09:47 AM
Fly to live, live to fly
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2010
54 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard hanson View Post
The irrefutable fact tho is Spektrum outsells all the others combined - simply because it has features which appeal to a broader audience .
Same happened to windows vs mac, but does it mean is better.?

Just see the trend in mac vs windows sellings... Mac has an EXPONENTIAL growing trend in the last 5 years... Why? Why windows is losing share..??? Because holding a mac, with his alumminum finish, better and more reliable system, to name a few, gives you a sense of QUALITY...!

Marketing and distributor aggressive tactics explain why one brand sells better than the other,

We should not forget spektrum were first in the 2.4 Ghz technology, that gives them an enormous adventage over the competition
FLYINGBOXER is offline Find More Posts by FLYINGBOXER
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 12, 2012, 09:54 AM
Canada, ON, Cochrane District
Joined Oct 2011
743 Posts
Mac vs windows... Ahahaha, your statement there shows why sheeple flock to an apple product. Windows is an operating system, a Mac is a piece of hardware running OS X or some flavour there of.
My windows machine is a ultra thin laptop that runs circles around a mac laptop. Its carbon fiber and aluminum finsh is awesome, it boots redhat, windows 7, Os x leopard and a flavour of debian.

Just sayin, you cannot compare a Mac piece of hardware , to Windows, an operating system.

cr8tive_leo is offline Find More Posts by cr8tive_leo
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:02 AM
Germany, HB, Bremen
Joined Jun 2010
923 Posts
Quote:
The irrefutable fact tho is Spektrum outsells all the others combined - simply because it has features which appeal to a broader audience .
Well, marketing and engineering are two different departments. Apparently only one did its job very well

Quote:
and " DX8 won't do anything a 9X can do".
That's 100% true if you flash the 9x with er9x, for 5 more bucks (the programmer) and decent soldering skills.
Zen09 is offline Find More Posts by Zen09
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:05 AM
Fly to live, live to fly
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2010
54 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr8tive_leo View Post
Mac vs windows... Ahahaha, your statement there shows why sheeple flock to an apple product. Windows is an operating system, a Mac is a piece of hardware running OS X or some flavour there of.
My windows machine is a ultra thin laptop that runs circles around a mac laptop. Its carbon fiber and aluminum finsh is awesome, it boots redhat, windows 7, Os x leopard and a flavour of debian.

Just sayin, you cannot compare a Mac piece of hardware , to Windows, an operating system.

Thats an Exception, not the rule... Not every windows based system has carbon etc...
What I'm trying to tell is nowadays with this spend limited economy and internet gobalized world, customers are more informed and demands not only customer service, but quality, robustness, and reliability...

Customers no longer drink the kool aid that aggressive marketing departments try to impose.

You cannot judge quality by the volume of sells principle...
Last edited by FLYINGBOXER; Aug 12, 2012 at 10:16 AM.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:16 AM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
7,202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy42 View Post
I would say that it is more about distrust than hate. It is just hard to trust Spektrum, especially with high value models, given their track record.

How about a little history...
Spektrum was first to market with their 2.4ghz systems, but it came at a heavy price in both their reputation and customer aircraft. DSM/2 was simplistic and not very robust. Their "Dual Link" "technology" randomly selects two free channels which could be adjacent which basically negates any advantage that using two frequencies would provide. Their DSM2 receivers went through multiple revisions to fix numerous problems ranging from "uncommanded elevator inputs" to the ridiculously long relink times.

When the full range DX7 was released, many people lost their planes due to poor low voltage performance of their RXs (a problem that persists today). Many people were still using 4 cell rx packs to power their electronics which often proved inadequate under load for the Spektrum RXs. Of course Spektrum's competitors don't seem to be as affected by these brownout issues, but it didn't stop Spektrum from pulling crap like this. Then there was the DX8 - probably one of the worst tx launches ever with numerous hardware and software problems.

People will say that since Spektrum has more users, there are more complaints. There is some truth to this, but one just has to look at the sheer number of service bulletins that Spektrum has had to put out for its radios and receivers. Compare that with their competitors. Of course, every manufacturer has had problems, but not to the degree that Spektrum has had.

Instead of improving their underlying technology, Spektrum rather slap on more band-aids in the form of extra satellites, flashing LEDs, flight log data, and diversity TX antennas. Then there are the quality control issues such as bad trim switches, poor quality pots, pots with faulty connectors (how did this get by testing?), faulty LCDs, etc.

Spektrum gambled and given their market penetration, it was probably a financial win, but it is going to take a long time for Spektrum to rehabilitate its reputation. And, I don't know if they will ever be taken seriously as a high-end manufacturer.

Essentially, Spektrum does not have a track record that engenders trust.
Interesting explanation- skewed a bit -but interesting
As for trust - you are dead wrong- One can not scontinue to do business unless trust is present
PS just who is this this end mfgr?
When it comes to screw ups -I see few with clean skirts .
richard hanson is online now Find More Posts by richard hanson
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:32 AM
Fly to live, live to fly
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2010
54 Posts
Quote:
Interesting explanation- skewed a bit -but interesting
As for trust - you are dead wrong- One can not scontinue to do business unless trust is present
PS just who is this this end mfgr?
When it comes to screw ups -I see few with clean skirts .
If one needs to do an evaluation for brands, its obvious the one who screw it up more gets less scores... So if spektrum has more quality recalls, so it gets lower scores...

Thats life Richard... The one who wins is the one who who screwed up less...

Thats the way we are being evaluated every day... People, companies, products, goods, etc...

For me its obvious spektrum is loosing the grades against its competition...
Last edited by FLYINGBOXER; Aug 12, 2012 at 10:41 AM.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:35 AM
Florida
Joined Aug 2004
4,156 Posts
Grumpy42 pretty much nailed it. Spend enough on advertising and promotion and you can make a pretty big splash with an average product. The fact that you sell the most items does not mean it is the best, just that the majority think it is the best buy for the money which it sometimes is. Example, more people drive Fords or Chevies than Porches but which performs at the highest level?
Rodney is offline Find More Posts by Rodney
Old Aug 12, 2012, 03:30 PM
Joined Oct 2007
7,202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
Grumpy42 pretty much nailed it. Spend enough on advertising and promotion and you can make a pretty big splash with an average product. The fact that you sell the most items does not mean it is the best, just that the majority think it is the best buy for the money which it sometimes is. Example, more people drive Fords or Chevies than Porches but which performs at the highest level?
How many Porsches have you maintained ?
Try a different comparison.
In the marketplace the guy who consistantly sells a higher percentage of the market share, -obviously , is doing a better job.
Ford actually has some dang good products now -
Porsche has some good ones but they are pricey and cost a LOT to keep the level of performance up.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 03:59 PM
United States, MA, Bristol
Joined Sep 2009
1,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
+1000. Well said. HH and Spektrum are marketing genius' and their products are pretty inexpensive. Thats how they are best sellers with an average product.

If Futaba put as much into marketing and was as inexpensive as Spektrum, people wouldn't even know the name Spektrum.

But you typically get what you pay for!
seefest is offline Find More Posts by seefest
Old Aug 12, 2012, 04:46 PM
Joined Oct 2007
7,202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seefest View Post
+1000. Well said. HH and Spektrum are marketing genius' and their products are pretty inexpensive. Thats how they are best sellers with an average product.

If Futaba put as much into marketing and was as inexpensive as Spektrum, people wouldn't even know the name Spektrum.

But you typically get what you pay for!
Well - If cows had wings ---
Old Aug 12, 2012, 05:28 PM
United States, OR
Joined Feb 2011
393 Posts
Bad rep

The original DX7 was notorious for brown outs, signal loss, binding issues and unexplained fail "safe". The newer DSM2 and DSMX technology is more reputable and reliable; however, Spektrum had already damaged its own reputation before these updates. Horizon Hobbies' outstanding customer service also asks their brands, including Spektrum, to advertise multiple recalls and product bulletins for many of their products - often shortly after their release. Honestly, would you rather be stuck on the phone with some random customer service representative or out at the flying field with your buddies?

Having written that....
I own the original DX6i, released with the pre-ordered E-flite Blade 400, and it has been an excellent radio for almost five years. But, I was one of the lucky ones who did not need to send my radio in for servicing, during the two recalls and one product bulletin.

The most important thing to be aware of with any spread spectrum technology is the arming process. My Spektrum receivers - factory OEM and Orange aftermarket - still occasionally flash red after power-up, indicating a funky initialization. The pilots with ridiculously expensive (read: dangerous) airplanes don't want to take chances with these unknowns....and neither should you. It's also written into the AMA bylaws, that no aircraft may be flown for spectators, before being deemed airworthy for the event. This includes radio equipment!

So, the "hate" you mention may be better stated as frustration....I prefer reliable equipment, more than I care for customer service, so I stopped buying most Horizon Hobby products - all together. IMHO, Spektrum/E-flite/JR should really beta test their new products before release, instead of issuing multiple recalls immediately following their release. Make sense?

And if you really want to read people bashing vendors....try the Nitro Models, Inc. forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCrap View Post
I've been reading on several forums, including this one and it seems like people have a lot of hate towards spektrum / DSM2. Why is this? I own a DX7 and several DSM2 / OrangeRX receivers and have never had any issues at all.
ssautter is offline Find More Posts by ssautter
Old Aug 12, 2012, 05:33 PM
United States, OR
Joined Feb 2011
393 Posts
Havalaugh!

Spectrum lockout, for your amusement:

RC Jet Maiden Flight Total Loss = $7,000.00 ELAN (2 min 18 sec)

This video is the property of its respective owner!
ssautter is offline Find More Posts by ssautter
Last edited by ssautter; Aug 12, 2012 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Rewrote spektrum to spectrum
Old Aug 12, 2012, 05:34 PM
Flying Electric!
United States, MI, Westland
Joined Jul 2006
1,485 Posts
I have owned the DX6I and now the DX7S. Never had a problem, even dropped my DX6I a couple times. THey are great radios and I feel the comparison is redundant. All RC products weather they are motors, servos, radios, airframes, all have pros and cons, and one item may be great to one guy and crap to the other. Just stick with what you like and keep flying..
ASAMech is offline Find More Posts by ASAMech
Old Aug 12, 2012, 05:56 PM
Nampa, ID
Joined Oct 2009
685 Posts
People are always bashing Spektrum. A lot of IMAC and giant scale guys around here use JR with DSM. Does the JR crowd have the same amount of complaints? It seams like you never hear from them. Is it the quality of the radios people don't like or is the the RF technology or both?
nippaero is offline Find More Posts by nippaero
Old Aug 12, 2012, 06:28 PM
Joined Oct 2007
7,202 Posts
Read the last posts - It is apparant that some folks really don't understand how the systems function-even at the most basic levels .
So has it been since radios were marketed - and obviously will continue---
As technology doubles, the failure to comprehend goes up on the square --