SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Oct 01, 2012, 03:53 PM
Registered User
United Kingdom, Crewe
Joined Dec 2011
57 Posts
Gerry_
Thats really sad. When the pupils in our club seek adivice I always tell them to do nothing but ask people for a few weeks, then ask again before buying.

JohnathanSwift
Your dad knew a thing or 2
skelly2 is offline Find More Posts by skelly2
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2012, 04:03 PM
AndyKunz's Avatar
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,352 Posts
Good advice, skelly.
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 01, 2012, 04:49 PM
Registered User
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
2,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanNX211 View Post
I think he meant Toyota and not Gov't Motors
I was thinking Fiat.But then again I have a difficult time digesting what he says sometimes anyway.When I burp Im not exactly sure what the taste is.
aerocal is offline Find More Posts by aerocal
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 01, 2012, 04:56 PM
Registered User
Hungary, Borsod-Aba˙j-ZemplÚn, Miskolc
Joined Mar 2011
157 Posts
Back to the Ford arguments and selling souls...
I don't think you americans know about Henry Ford being openly antisemite, he paroled with Adolf Hitler before the war and even helped the nazi party with huge sums of money. No logical or illogical next step here, just some fun facts
Sterby is offline Find More Posts by Sterby
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 01, 2012, 05:07 PM
Registered User
RyanNX211's Avatar
Upper Arlington, Ohio
Joined Dec 2007
1,469 Posts
That's like saying Germans don't make good stuff because some were mean. It's a non sequitur
RyanNX211 is offline Find More Posts by RyanNX211
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 01, 2012, 05:09 PM
Registered User
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Dec 2009
1,402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
Tim apparently doesn't know that Government Motors needed a bailout, while Ford kept right on without selling their souls. NOT taking government money got Ford even more customers!

Andy
Ford was in sh*t street were they not.

Did they not get a new a CEO at the 11th hour, appointed by Henry Ford jnr himself? I forget the blokes name but he was Technical Director at Boeing IIRC.
He turned Ford around by adopting similar tactics that used by the like of VW, Toyota, Daimler Benz, BMW, Renault Nissan and PSA (Peugeot & Citroen) i.e. the common global platform. Did he not cull large expensive to produce platforms and scale down the SKU's...No, oh sh*t must be another auto firm that adopted manufacturing principals from its younger European, Korean and Japanese rivals then.
Who said anything about government bailouts. Just proves a point that if a Spektrum engineer can't even read how can he translate anything into a useful product.
TimBle is offline Find More Posts by TimBle
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 01, 2012, 05:18 PM
Registered User
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
2,452 Posts
Oh geez.Sorry I drug us off on a tangent...again.

The OT.
Hate is pretty harsh.I dont hate.Spektrum really does tick me off though sometimes.Now that Im hooked I seem to be unable to resist having to buy cool new toys to play with.Its a terrible habit to break.I keep learning new things and its difficult for me to not get out, be active and have fun.
Some even think Im a little nutty for not wanting to sit around on the couch to eat, watch TV and play video games.
Shame on you SPM.
aerocal is offline Find More Posts by aerocal
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 01, 2012, 05:37 PM
Registered User
richard hanson's Avatar
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
6,852 Posts
Auto mfg comparisons are always interesting - because typically,they are completely off the mark (or should I say Marque?)
richard hanson is online now Find More Posts by richard hanson
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 02, 2012, 02:20 AM
Registered User
Hungary, Borsod-Aba˙j-ZemplÚn, Miskolc
Joined Mar 2011
157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard hanson View Post
Auto mfg comparisons are always interesting - because typically,they are completely off the mark (or should I say Marque?)
Not at all, they're ususally on the point. Say if your car stops, you just have to get out, get in and hold the wiper switch, the radio switch and the ignition. It should start again.
Sterby is offline Find More Posts by Sterby
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 09, 2012, 03:36 PM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2007
239 Posts
Just my 2 cents, don't know if anybody mentioned that...

DSM, DSM2, DSMX... Don't know if you notice the pattern but spektrum has had really bad modulation and signal strength issues.

Long story short they had faulty modulations and no frequency hopping and hence had to use a way to high output... which was cut again and again.

So in case you didn't notice spektrum has been selling beta products for most of it's existence with very good marketing. Their RTF and BNF models are the obvious reason for their success, if you want to transition from toys or just start easy with this hobby Spektrum is the only step available.

I love my MCPx and my UMX mig 15 and if it wasn't for these tiny models I would never have had a spektrum remote.

Sure if I were to fly a $2k machine I wouldn't touch spektrum thanks to their past even if DSMX does seem reliable.

So in the end when I buy spektrum I don't buy performance, I buy convenience, access to a unique, amazing line of ultra micros and very cheap aftermarket receivers for my 300-450 sized birds.
vadimpelau is offline Find More Posts by vadimpelau
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 09, 2012, 03:44 PM
AndyKunz's Avatar
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,352 Posts
It's funny that you should feel that way. The people in our club who have $20K jets use Spektrum exclusively, and they're some of the top names in model aviation.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 09, 2012, 04:06 PM
Registered User
richard hanson's Avatar
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
6,852 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vadimpelau View Post
Just my 2 cents, don't know if anybody mentioned that...

DSM, DSM2, DSMX... Don't know if you notice the pattern but spektrum has had really bad modulation and signal strength issues.

Long story short they had faulty modulations and no frequency hopping and hence had to use a way to high output... which was cut again and again.

So in case you didn't notice spektrum has been selling beta products for most of it's existence with very good marketing. Their RTF and BNF models are the obvious reason for their success, if you want to transition from toys or just start easy with this hobby Spektrum is the only step available.

I love my MCPx and my UMX mig 15 and if it wasn't for these tiny models I would never have had a spektrum remote.

Sure if I were to fly a $2k machine I wouldn't touch spektrum thanks to their past even if DSMX does seem reliable.

So in the end when I buy spektrum I don't buy performance, I buy convenience, access to a unique, amazing line of ultra micros and very cheap aftermarket receivers for my 300-450 sized birds.
Your rationalization paints a picture a bit different from what I see -
We fly all the little fun stuf and the two meter planes (pattern/FAI) - on a DX8 with a AR8 rx - never a peep -

we have friends who fly other brands - -the only issue with them being the more care required in getting a solid antenna orientation-to avoid the random holds we have seen - these guys do appear to have this licked now - by positioning the antenna tips as far up n away from everything else as is possible . We simply put the Spektrum rx up high in the fuselage the remote in the belly - Do each system correctly - no problems
richard hanson is online now Find More Posts by richard hanson
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 09, 2012, 05:23 PM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2007
239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
It's funny that you should feel that way. The people in our club who have $20K jets use Spektrum exclusively, and they're some of the top names in model aviation.

Andy

Well I'm talking average users and pros, self sponsored pros usually don't fly spektrum. Either way things have changed a lot for the better for spektrum but you'll still never get over experienced users and rf experts that will forever hold a grudge for that one glitch and put even current spektrum systems to shame compared to chinese brands like frsky.

Spektrum has a huge market share and they've made those funds go into nice hardware, but the way they got that market share is a different thing. It might be good now but considering business ethics and the crap they've put on the market before... well spektrum has no business ethics.
vadimpelau is offline Find More Posts by vadimpelau
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 09, 2012, 05:28 PM
Stop scaring my donkey!
JohnathanSwift's Avatar
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
8,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vadimpelau View Post
Well I'm talking average users and pros, self sponsored pros usually don't fly spektrum. Either way things have changed a lot for the better for spektrum but you'll still never get over experienced users and rf experts that will forever hold a grudge for that one glitch and put even current spektrum systems to shame compared to chinese brands like frsky.

Spektrum has a huge market share and they've made those funds go into nice hardware, but the way they got that market share is a different thing. It might be good now but considering business ethics and the crap they've put on the market before... well spektrum has no business ethics.
Oh, my, now you've gone and done it!

How can anyone rationally reach such a broad conclusion?

Well, I enjoy my DX 8, anyway.
JohnathanSwift is offline Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 09, 2012, 05:35 PM
Registered User
RyanNX211's Avatar
Upper Arlington, Ohio
Joined Dec 2007
1,469 Posts
The movement away from Spektrum is slower than you seem to suggest, but it is happening.
RyanNX211 is offline Find More Posts by RyanNX211
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Another reason why we hate lawyers dll932 Life, The Universe, and Politics 37 Jul 02, 2012 04:30 PM
Rant this is why i hate fee bay bethelflier8036 Other Websites 6 Apr 18, 2012 01:22 AM
Why do birds hate model planes ? Feodosia Flyer Electric Plane Talk 14 Jun 28, 2001 04:19 AM